The Student Room Group

Dropping out of college

A bit of a scream into the void, but: I left year 11 this year and did pretty good on my GCSEs, apart from the fact that i got a 4 in English lit and lang, so i wasn't allowed to do A levels. So, i tried a Level 3 IT course, and hated it, and switched to a Level 3 media course, which is better. But i still don't like it, i'm not creative at all so i really strugge with the creative side of the course, i also have made no friends in the class and nobody makes an effort to talk to me so i'm completely alone which really makes me struggle, i'm now living in an constant state of anxiety/dread because I hate college so much.

I don't know what I want to do with my life so no apprenticeships near me are appealing, and i was told that traineeships are only for people with no maths/english qualifications. Nor are there any college courses that appeal to me. So does anybody have any advice as to where I can go from here, or should i just stop going to college completely because i don't think i can carry on there.

I probably sound like i'm being stupid and awkward but i'm just so uncomfortable at college it makes me want to give up completely.
Original post by hj983
A bit of a scream into the void, but: I left year 11 this year and did pretty good on my GCSEs, apart from the fact that i got a 4 in English lit and lang, so i wasn't allowed to do A levels. So, i tried a Level 3 IT course, and hated it, and switched to a Level 3 media course, which is better. But i still don't like it, i'm not creative at all so i really strugge with the creative side of the course, i also have made no friends in the class and nobody makes an effort to talk to me so i'm completely alone which really makes me struggle, i'm now living in an constant state of anxiety/dread because I hate college so much.

I don't know what I want to do with my life so no apprenticeships near me are appealing, and i was told that traineeships are only for people with no maths/english qualifications. Nor are there any college courses that appeal to me. So does anybody have any advice as to where I can go from here, or should i just stop going to college completely because i don't think i can carry on there.

I probably sound like i'm being stupid and awkward but i'm just so uncomfortable at college it makes me want to give up completely.

What were your other GCSE grades?
What would you have done if you had the grade in English? A levels degree, career?
Original post by hj983

What would you have done if you had the grade in English? A levels degree, career?
I wouyld resit GCSE or do a pre access course to give me the grades and then do A level.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
I wouyld resit GCSE or do a pre access course to give me the grades and then do A level.

My grades were all 5s and 6s apart from the 4s in English. If I had achieved a 5 in English i would be doing A Levels. The college offered me a chance to spend a year taking another 5 GCSEs in order to try and get a grade higher, but i failed to see the benefit in doing 5 more GCSEs when i passed all of mine just to start A levels a year after everyone else.
Original post by hj983
My grades were all 5s and 6s apart from the 4s in English. If I had achieved a 5 in English i would be doing A Levels. The college offered me a chance to spend a year taking another 5 GCSEs in order to try and get a grade higher, but i failed to see the benefit in doing 5 more GCSEs when i passed all of mine just to start A levels a year after everyone else.

If you dont want to take the college up on the offer then private candidate GCSE English yourself. You normally need 6 for A level. You could be resitting GCSE next month as its held 2x a year.
Reply 5
If you dont want to take the college up on the offer then private candidate GCSE English yourself. You normally need 6 for A level. You could be resitting GCSE next month as its held 2x a year.

The thing is though because I achieved a pass grade in english i think i'll have to pay to resit it, plus i dont think the college would let me onto the A level course this late, so i would have to carry on doing what i'm doing for the rest of this year, and I really don't want to do that.
Original post by hj983
The thing is though because I achieved a pass grade in english i think i'll have to pay to resit it, plus i dont think the college would let me onto the A level course this late, so i would have to carry on doing what i'm doing for the rest of this year, and I really don't want to do that.

Yes you would have to pay.
Yes you would have to take a gap year and do something else.
No they wont let you onto the A level course without the correct grades at GCSE.next year.

England

You can leave school on the last Friday in June if you’ll be 16 by the end of the summer holidays.

You must then do one of the following until you’re 18:

stay in full-time education, for example at a college
start an apprenticeship or traineeship
spend 20 hours or more a week working or volunteering, while in part-time education or training
Reply 7
Yes you would have to pay.
Yes you would have to take a gap year and do something else.
No they wont let you onto the A level course without the correct grades at GCSE.next year.

England

You can leave school on the last Friday in June if you’ll be 16 by the end of the summer holidays.

You must then do one of the following until you’re 18:

stay in full-time education, for example at a college
start an apprenticeship or traineeship
spend 20 hours or more a week working or volunteering, while in part-time education or training

Yeah, the none of these options work for me though, thats the problem :frown:. Thank you for your help though!
Original post by hj983
Yeah, the none of these options work for me though, thats the problem :frown:. Thank you for your help though!

Life gives you certain options, it doesnt always give you ideal ones, you just have to choose the least worst one.
You are saying you must do or believe you have the ability to do A levels. That is the only way you are going to get on an A level course unless you go private and pay yourself.
Reply 9
Life gives you certain options, it doesnt always give you ideal ones, you just have to choose the least worst one.
You are saying you must do or believe you have the ability to do A levels. That is the only way you are going to get on an A level course unless you go private and pay yourself.

I'm not really bothered about doing A Levels, it was the original plan but seeing how some of my friends are already struggling with them it doesn't seem ideal. I just don't like the college environment in general, i find it really intimidating and its having a damaging affect on my mental health. All the apprenticeships near me are in things like childcare, and that doesn't interest me, i spoke to the national careers advice people about a traineeship but they said that they're for people with no maths/english quals. So im just feeling really lost and helpless about it all.
Original post by hj983
I'm not really bothered about doing A Levels, it was the original plan but seeing how some of my friends are already struggling with them it doesn't seem ideal. I just don't like the college environment in general, i find it really intimidating and its having a damaging affect on my mental health. All the apprenticeships near me are in things like childcare, and that doesn't interest me, i spoke to the national careers advice people about a traineeship but they said that they're for people with no maths/english quals. So im just feeling really lost and helpless about it all.

Careers- See if you can get any of these books at the careers library or they will have similar for you to read. Try and get ones aimed at your age group. If you cant find then just get second hand from Amazon. They are good books to help you decide on a career.

You really have 3 choices.
1. Apprenticeship.
2. Academic.
3. Vocational.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Rocks-World-Jenny-Mullins/dp/1492153281

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Do-What-You-Are-Personality/dp/0316167266
https://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Color-Parachute-Teens-Third/dp/1607745771/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=
Reply 11
Careers- See if you can get any of these books at the careers library or they will have similar for you to read. Try and get ones aimed at your age group. If you cant find then just get second hand from Amazon. They are good books to help you decide on a career.

You really have 3 choices.
1. Apprenticeship.
2. Academic.
3. Vocational.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Rocks-World-Jenny-Mullins/dp/1492153281

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Do-What-You-Are-Personality/dp/0316167266
https://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Color-Parachute-Teens-Third/dp/1607745771/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

I'll have a look, thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending