The Student Room Group

Taking a gap year, would universities give you an offer again?

Hi there,

So I'm currently in y13, in the stage of apply for universities. I'm going for Bath, Durham, UCL, Glasgow and St.Andrews. The plan is that if my a level grades come out extraordinarily well (A* A*A), I'll then take a gap year and apply for oxbridge with the grades I already have. My question is for example if Bath does give me an offer this year but I decide to reapply in the following year in order to have go at oxbridge and still remain Bath as an option on my UCAS form. Would Bath still give me an offer?
Original post by cat1234!
Hi there,

So I'm currently in y13, in the stage of apply for universities. I'm going for Bath, Durham, UCL, Glasgow and St.Andrews. The plan is that if my a level grades come out extraordinarily well (A* A*A), I'll then take a gap year and apply for oxbridge with the grades I already have. My question is for example if Bath does give me an offer this year but I decide to reapply in the following year in order to have go at oxbridge and still remain Bath as an option on my UCAS form. Would Bath still give me an offer?

It will be like re-applying to Bath all over again, I do believe. They won't take into account you applied there before. Why can't you just apply to Oxford Cambridge as one of your 5 choices this year? It saves the wait - Oxbridge will want you to have done something to do with your subject e.g. work experience or similar during your gap year which may be difficult depending on what course you're going for.
Reply 2
Because I do very much want to take one year off after my a-level, one reason for it is because I don't think I am mentally prepared for university yet the other one is the uncertainty covid has brought to the whole situation. And obviously you can't apply this year and defer the entry for oxbridge

Original post by DoNotMove
It will be like re-applying to Bath all over again, I do believe. They won't take into account you applied there before. Why can't you just apply to Oxford Cambridge as one of your 5 choices this year? It saves the wait - Oxbridge will want you to have done something to do with your subject e.g. work experience or similar during your gap year which may be difficult depending on what course you're going for.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by cat1234!
Hi there,

You can reapply to the same places, they won’t hold a grudge. There’s no guarantee that you’d definitely receive another offer, but presumably your application was strong the first time around so it’s pretty likely tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending