The Student Room Group

How risky is it to apply to A*AA universities and beyond

Well I'm predicted A*A*AA. If I apply to 5 unis with A*AA and A*A*A requirements, is it too risky?
Reply 1
It would probably be a good idea to have one back up just in case. That still gives you four high grade universities to choose from.

If you did apply to all 5 with high requirements and didn’t get in, it wouldn’t be the end of the world. You could apply to places through clearing BUT it’s not guaranteed there will be spaces for what you want to study where you want to study. Alternatively you could take a gap year and apply again in the next academic year.

Taking the risk is your choice, but personally I would just have a back up (make sure it’s one you actually like though). You can still apply elsewhere through clearing or the next academic year, but it means you’ll have a place secured if you do choose to go to your backup instead
Original post by Anonymous
Well I'm predicted A*A*AA. If I apply to 5 unis with A*AA and A*A*A requirements, is it too risky?

Consider adding an insurance choice of AAA or AAB.
Original post by Anonymous

Are you more worried about not getting offers or not achieving at least A*AA?
Apply to four choices early and wait and see if you get any decisions prior to the Jan deadline. Then you’ll know if your remaining choice needs to be a safe one, (just make sure you add it before the guaranteed consideration deadline).

Risk is subjective. Many people wouldn’t mind shopping around in clearing with decent grades or taking a gap year if needs be. As above, it also depends whether you’re concerned about getting offers in the first place or meeting the offer conditions.
Reply 5
Original post by S9715
It would probably be a good idea to have one back up just in case. That still gives you four high grade universities to choose from.

If you did apply to all 5 with high requirements and didn’t get in, it wouldn’t be the end of the world. You could apply to places through clearing BUT it’s not guaranteed there will be spaces for what you want to study where you want to study. Alternatively you could take a gap year and apply again in the next academic year.

Taking the risk is your choice, but personally I would just have a back up (make sure it’s one you actually like though). You can still apply elsewhere through clearing or the next academic year, but it means you’ll have a place secured if you do choose to go to your backup instead

Having a back up is a good strategy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending