The Student Room Group

Can you still apply to uni if your grade is lower than the requirement grade ?

So i want to study radiography in the uni starting in 2021 .The requirement for my first choice uni which is City,university london I am thinking about is D*D*D and i think maybe i will get DDM or DMM is it still worth applying to that uni or should i use my this choice to apply to a uni with lower requirements ?

(I also messaged the uni and TSR and their website but they didn't answered me )
if anyone can answer me plz ???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CrystalRose17
So i want to study radiography in the uni starting in 2021 .The requirement for my first choice uni which is City,university london I am thinking about is D*D*D and i think maybe i will get DDM or DMM is it still worth applying to that uni or should i use my this choice to apply to a uni with lower requirements ?

(I also messaged the uni and TSR and their website but they didn't answered me )
if anyone can answer me plz ???

As you can apply to 5 universities, it’s generally recommend that you apply to 1/2 ambitious choices, 2/3 choices that are in line with your grade predictions and 1/2 below your predictions as a safety net. As such, it’s not unreasonable to apply to that choice as an ambitious choice. I would just make sure that your other choices are all in line with your predictions, as I’d suggest that is quite a reach.
Hi!

I’m not an expert so best to seek other advice as well!

I would still apply. However, if there is another uni that you really like that had lower entry requirements, I would apply there instead.

You get 5 choices so if there’s nowhere else that you like the look of, there’s no harm in using one of your choices on this university.

Many unis are being more lenient with grades due to Covid so if you write a really great personal statement, you may still be in with a chance.

I’d say go for it unless there’s a uni that you really like that had lower entry requirements :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
It wouldn’t be called a “requirement” if you could.
I agree with the comment above I'm afraid. If that's what they require, they would only accept lower if they had to fill places on the course. Your competition would be getting the requirement and above.
Original post by BlueEyedGirl_
As you can apply to 5 universities, it’s generally recommend that you apply to 1/2 ambitious choices, 2/3 choices that are in line with your grade predictions and 1/2 below your predictions as a safety net. As such, it’s not unreasonable to apply to that choice as an ambitious choice. I would just make sure that your other choices are all in line with your predictions, as I’d suggest that is quite a reach.

ok thank you yeah i have other 3 choices which are quite in line with my grades so i will go for it as an ambition then as I really want to get in this uni.
Original post by pepsimaxcherry
Hi!

I’m not an expert so best to seek other advice as well!

I would still apply. However, if there is another uni that you really like that had lower entry requirements, I would apply there instead.

You get 5 choices so if there’s nowhere else that you like the look of, there’s no harm in using one of your choices on this university.

Many unis are being more lenient with grades due to Covid so if you write a really great personal statement, you may still be in with a chance.

I’d say go for it unless there’s a uni that you really like that had lower entry requirements :smile:

okay thanks my 5th choice was a spare one as i had selected the other 4 I am sure of so i would go with it.
Original post by Tracheostenosis
It wouldn’t be called a “requirement” if you could.

Yeah I know :frown: but its still worth trying if you have a good personal statement right?
Original post by historynerd47
I agree with the comment above I'm afraid. If that's what they require, they would only accept lower if they had to fill places on the course. Your competition would be getting the requirement and above.

You are right i will still apply then and if i don't get in see if i will a place through clearing in august.
Yeah I know :frown: but its still worth trying if you have a good personal statement right?

No chance.
Sorry.
This would be totally unfair for individuals that did get the grade requirements.
(edited 3 years ago)
okay thanks my 5th choice was a spare one as i had selected the other 4 I am sure of so i would go with it.

Oh then definitely apply! It’s worth it for your fifth option! :smile:
No chance.
Sorry.
This would be totally unfair for individuals that did get the grade requirements.

How would it be unfair? If they don’t think OP is eligible, they would just reject. By applying, OP is in no way taking a spot from someone else. The university decide who to send offers to and accept. Putting an application in will do no harm?
You are right i will still apply then and if i don't get in see if i will a place through clearing in august.

That's fine- just ensure the other universities are all ones that you meet the requirements of. The grades are the most important factor by far- they see the grades first, then bother to read the personal statement or not
Original post by historynerd47
That's fine- just ensure the other universities are all ones that you meet the requirements of. The grades are the most important factor by far- they see the grades first, then bother to read the personal statement or not

How would it be unfair? If they don’t think OP is eligible, they would just reject. By applying, OP is in no way taking a spot from someone else. The university decide who to send offers to and accept. Putting an application in will do no harm?

Thanks for the advice from both of you .I will just try although i know i will be rejected .I will try my best to improve my grades during the year .Maybe i can get in through clearing in the end .

I’d be very annoyed if the grade requirements were, let’s say AAA, and some got in with ABB, however, I got the grades and wouldn’t have got accepted.
It’s totally unfair, the appropriate course of action is to simply avoid the course and stay in your lane.
(edited 3 years ago)
I’d be very annoyed if the grade requirements were, let’s say AAA, and some got in with ABB, however, I got the grades and wouldn’t have got accepted.
It’s totally unfair, the appropriate course of action is the simply avoid the course and stay in your lane.

But they wouldn’t reject you unless your application was bad. If the university choose to accept someone with lower grades, that’s their decision. By applying, you are not taking a spot from anyone.

If you got the correct grades and still got rejected, it’s more likely to be an issue with your application than someone else taking your spot.

A spot will not be taking by OP if they apply. If the university believe them to be a good fit, they will accept them. It’s the same process if you got the grades and had a good application - you would be accepted.

Nobody is taking anyone’s spot? I don’t see your point here?
Thanks for the advice from both of you .I will just try although i know i will be rejected .I will try my best to improve my grades during the year .Maybe i can get in through clearing in the end .

That’s great! I would apply and see how it goes! Best of luck to you x
But they wouldn’t reject you unless your application was bad. If the university choose to accept someone with lower grades, that’s their decision. By applying, you are not taking a spot from anyone.

If you got the correct grades and still got rejected, it’s more likely to be an issue with your application than someone else taking your spot.

A spot will not be taking by OP if they apply. If the university believe them to be a good fit, they will accept them. It’s the same process if you got the grades and had a good application - you would be accepted.

Nobody is taking anyone’s spot? I don’t see your point here?

If OP choses to apply, either way, their chances will be very slim of getting in, why waste an application when you could simply apply to the courses you are eligible for?
If OP choses to apply, either way, their chances will be very slim of getting in, why waste an application when you could simply apply to the courses you are eligible for?

I asked OP that question and they said that there is no other university that they liked the look of. Therefore they have a space free. Why wouldn’t you use that spot to apply to this uni?

UCAS actually recommends that applicants apply for 1 aspirational choice, 2 or 3 safe options and 2 or 3 lower entry options. Therefore, OP has a spare spot to apply for this university which would be their aspirational choice.

Its probably the course that they want. Yes its ambitious but I guess worth the chance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending