The Student Room Group

Can you transfer uni credits?

I’m currently doing a bachelor degree in Vet nursing, let’s say I complete my first year, get my credits and then go to a different uni next year to do a foundation degree in vet nursing, will I be able to transfer my credits and get a bachelor degree at the end of it? I’m asking this before I know a bachelor is worth more credits than a foundation so in my head if I just transfer my first year credits it could add up to a bachelors degree? Even though the new course is a foundation? Hope that makes and it isn’t a dumb question!
Reply 1
Original post by nicolegrace1207
I’m currently doing a bachelor degree in Vet nursing, let’s say I complete my first year, get my credits and then go to a different uni next year to do a foundation degree in vet nursing, will I be able to transfer my credits and get a bachelor degree at the end of it? I’m asking this before I know a bachelor is worth more credits than a foundation so in my head if I just transfer my first year credits it could add up to a bachelors degree? Even though the new course is a foundation? Hope that makes and it isn’t a dumb question!

A foundation degree, as I understand it, is equivalent in status to the first two years of a three-year honours degree.

So, if you can transfer from credits from the first year of a bachelor's degree to a foundation degree, you'd then do the second year of the foundation degree, and if you completed that, you'd get a foundation degree. If you wanted a bachelor's degree, you'd presumably need to do the third year of a course that leads to a bachelor's degree. I have no idea if this is possible.

If you want a bachelor's degree in Vet nursing, and you're currently on a course that leads to that very qualification, why do you want to change to a course that leads to a different lesser qualification?
Original post by martin7
A foundation degree, as I understand it, is equivalent in status to the first two years of a three-year honours degree.

So, if you can transfer from credits from the first year of a bachelor's degree to a foundation degree, you'd then do the second year of the foundation degree, and if you completed that, you'd get a foundation degree. If you wanted a bachelor's degree, you'd presumably need to do the third year of a course that leads to a bachelor's degree. I have no idea if this is possible.

If you want a bachelor's degree in Vet nursing, and you're currently on a course that leads to that very qualification, why do you want to change to a course that leads to a different lesser qualification?

I want to change because I really do not like my university, and I can’t change uni’s to do a bachelor degree because I failed my A-Levels and I’ll only be able to get onto a foundation. I’ll still be qualified at the end, I’d just like the status of having a bachelors degree.

So from what I’m understanding it’s not possible to transfer my credits and get the bachelors?
I want to change because I really do not like my university, and I can’t change uni’s to do a bachelor degree because I failed my A-Levels and I’ll only be able to get onto a foundation. I’ll still be qualified at the end, I’d just like the status of having a bachelors degree.

So from what I’m understanding it’s not possible to transfer my credits and get the bachelors?

No, because your credits you have gained would be at the wrong level. You would have 120 year one credits, and then with your foundation degree you would have 120atvyear 1 and 120 at year 2 equivalent. You wouldn’t have any credits of level 3.

Although if you pass year 1 at this uni you May be able to use that to get onto another bachelor degree but have to start from year one again.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by GabiAbi84
No, because your credits you have gained would be at the wrong level. You would have 120 year one credits, and then with your foundation degree you would have 120atvyear 1 and 120 at year 2 equivalent. You wouldn’t have any credits of level 3.

Although if you pass year 1 at this uni you May be able to use that to get onto another bachelor degree but have to start from year one again.

My foundation degree is 3 years rather than 2, does this change anything?
My foundation degree is 3 years rather than 2, does this change anything?

No, because the foundation part of your degree is lower than year one credits. So you would only have 120credits from year one level and 120credits from year two level.
You won’t have done any study at third year level-this is why it isn’t a bachelor’s (honours) degree.
No, because the foundation part of your degree is lower than year one credits. So you would only have 120credits from year one level and 120credits from year two level.
You won’t have done any study at third year level-this is why it isn’t a bachelor’s (honours) degree.

Ahh okay that makes sense! Thanks! Do you know whether student finance will cover my top up year if I decide to turn it into a bachelor in the future? I’ve used up my “gift year “and will do the 3 year degree starting next year and then want to do one year top up but am unsure of whether I will be funded
Ahh okay that makes sense! Thanks! Do you know whether student finance will cover my top up year if I decide to turn it into a bachelor in the future? I’ve used up my “gift year “and will do the 3 year degree starting next year and then want to do one year top up but am unsure of whether I will be funded

No you would not be funded as you have used up your gift year.
Have you looked into using your first year here to gain entry into year one of a bachelors without having to do the foundation?
No you would not be funded as you have used up your gift year.
Have you looked into using your first year here to gain entry into year one of a bachelors without having to do the foundation?

Hey, yes I’ve looked into it however the universities that offer a bachelor in Vet Nursing are all very very far away, the ones close to me only offer a foundation and then a top up. So now I’m in a dilemma of how I can fund the top up myself!
Hey, yes I’ve looked into it however the universities that offer a bachelor in Vet Nursing are all very very far away, the ones close to me only offer a foundation and then a top up. So now I’m in a dilemma of how I can fund the top up myself!

And they don’t just do an honours with a foundation year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending