The Student Room Group

Can teachers do this to students??

Okay so I don't know if you use teams or not but my school do. Im in year 13 final year of 6th form and I have to complete a group welsh bacc project with my team members. We have been using teams to do our project as you know all the covid stuff prevents us from being close and things. We just found out that a teacher has read our private group messages and deleted our group which has all ur work on (we had an inappropriate name and that's why she deleted it). I was wondering is a teacher allowed to read private group messages without consent from us? or can they read them and do what they want without our notice? thanks
If you are using a school account (your school are paying for your access to teams and you sign into teams with your school email) then yes, they can. It seems a bit harsh that they have deleted everything, I would have thought they would have pulled you all aside and spoken to you/emailed you about not using inappropriate names in the future.

But yes, they are allowed to read/gain access to anything on your school account, quite a few schools will make you sign or read a technology/online agreement when you start school and it will state this in it.
Original post by bedazzle
Okay so I don't know if you use teams or not but my school do. Im in year 13 final year of 6th form and I have to complete a group welsh bacc project with my team members. We have been using teams to do our project as you know all the covid stuff prevents us from being close and things. We just found out that a teacher has read our private group messages and deleted our group which has all ur work on (we had an inappropriate name and that's why she deleted it). I was wondering is a teacher allowed to read private group messages without consent from us? or can they read them and do what they want without our notice? thanks

I think maybe instead of doing it on teams, you can do it on other apps like whatsapp maybe?
Just a suggestion.
Did the teacher make the group for you or did you create the group by yourself?
i mean depens what app or email u were using or what group chat it was...how can a tecaher get an access to a student's group chhat tho?
doesnt that mean that wherever u guys chatted was under the sckool email and apps. ngl but who talks with their skool email?
Reply 4
Original post by Mehvij12345
I think maybe instead of doing it on teams, you can do it on other apps like whatsapp maybe?
Just a suggestion.
Did the teacher make the group for you or did you create the group by yourself?

we created the group our selves but its now apparent that anything using school accounts is not private nor should we have thought it was private, we are now being supervised for the rest of the year now so that's great
Reply 5
Original post by lamia_bts
i mean depens what app or email u were using or what group chat it was...how can a tecaher get an access to a student's group chhat tho?
doesnt that mean that wherever u guys chatted was under the sckool email and apps. ngl but who talks with their skool email?

we used school email because it was easier to transfer documents to each other, we are being monitored now for the rest of the year so we are just using zoom with our personal emails and stuff
Original post by bedazzle

Why would you give a group chat an inappropriate name when you knew it had important work on?

Your teacher is allowed to read private group messages, especially if they think there is something unsafe/inappropriate on it.
It is legal.

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/in-your-sector/education/education-gdpr-faqs/

If you have concerns you should contact your school's Data Protection Officer.
I think they are allowed to because they have the responsibility to safeguard all children at your school
Reply 9
Original post by lamia_bts

I have to ask, why would you use a "k" in "school"?
Of all the stupid lessons kids never learn :redface:, Your school simply isn't going to give you privacy on their systems and accounts, because some kids just cant be trusted :rolleyes:
Reply 11
Original post by StriderHort
Of all the stupid lessons kids never learn :redface:, Your school simply isn't going to give you privacy on their systems and accounts, because some kids just cant be trusted :rolleyes:

They said their work was deleted so I'm wondering why they didn't save it elsewhere too. No excuse for not backing up, it's been drummed into our heads for years now.
Original post by Bio 7
They said their work was deleted so I'm wondering why they didn't save it elsewhere too. No excuse for not backing up, it's been drummed into our heads for years now.

If I was the teacher I'd have backed up the work and said their parents can come and ask for it. They'll need to ask for it by name and description obv :tongue:

I'm better at back ups than I used to be, but not going to pretend I haven't make screwups, on one notable occasion erasing my bands entire backing set 3 hours before a show :rolleyes:
Reply 13
If I was the teacher I'd have backed up the work and said their parents can come and ask for it. They'll need to ask for it by name and description obv :tongue:

I'm better at back ups than I used to be, but not going to pretend I haven't make screwups, on one notable occasion erasing my bands entire backing set 3 hours before a show :rolleyes:

You imbecile, how did you manage that?

Actually nevermind, I'll just back away and pretend I've never lost data by stupidity and pretend to be a god of data. Move along, move along.
Original post by Bio 7
You imbecile, how did you manage that?

Ironic misclick while backing up to USB, possibly followed by one of the worlds most awkward 'uh....guys?'. I did manage to recreate the work in frenzy of activity though.
Reply 15
Ironic misclick while backing up to USB, possibly followed by one of the worlds most awkward 'uh....guys?'. I did manage to recreate the work in frenzy of activity though.

Oh that dreaded admission of fault.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending