The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL vs McGill University

Is UCL seen as the better university between the two? Or vice versa?
Additionally, is McGill better in engineering/sciences?
Original post by Anonymous

Probably depends what your after. Both are excellent universities.
McGill is really the most prestigous uni in its country but UCL probably is slightly more well known.

Its a negligable reputation difference overall.

For engineering, id imagine McGill is stronger UCL (at least in the UK) is not seen as a premier uni in the field.

But in other areas such as if you want to work in finance or consulting your probably better off at UCL...
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Bump
Reply 3
I applied to both and got accepted into both. I chose McGill over UCL mainly because it has a better engineering program. It will also provide you with more access to the US job market ( especially in the northeast). Overall, I’d think both have a really similar reputation worldwide.

Mainly depend on your future plan. Both are very good universities, the only difference is Canada/UK.
Reply 5
Original post by Yifei Xue
Mainly depend on your future plan. Both are very good universities, the only difference is Canada/UK.

I am planning to study CS or Computer Engineering
Reply 6
As an international student, I feel like it depends on your home country too (while both unis are great and reputable UCL is more well known in mine) and where you intend to relocate in the future if that affects you.
I am planning to study CS or Computer Engineering

For CS I am sure that UCL is better. Previously I thought you are talking about engineering or EEE, but for CS you can definitely choose UCL. If you want to stay at Canada in the future or you have considered a Master degree in the US, you can still hesitate and further do some research. Otherwise I suggest you choose UCL with no hesitation.
Reply 8
Original post by Yifei Xue
For CS I am sure that UCL is better. Previously I thought you are talking about engineering or EEE, but for CS you can definitely choose UCL. If you want to stay at Canada in the future or you have considered a Master degree in the US, you can still hesitate and further do some research. Otherwise I suggest you choose UCL with no hesitation.

Thanks for the suggestion :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by dlwlrma_
As an international student, I feel like it depends on your home country too (while both unis are great and reputable UCL is more well known in mine) and where you intend to relocate in the future if that affects you.

Yeah that's true, I am from the middle east. I think both are equally reputable. But McGill has a stronger alumni network because alot of Arabs study there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending