The Student Room Group

can I still get into a masters

I've just graduated and want to do a masters in cancer, and you need two references. Everyone I know who applied for masters asked their dissertation supervisor and their personal tutor, for me my supervisor was my tutor, so I don't know who else to ask. One lecturer I did an essay for and got an A in said he doesn't really know me well enough. My stupid ****ing uni didn't think this through. Any advice?
Original post by Anonymous
I've just graduated and want to do a masters in cancer, and you need two references. Everyone I know who applied for masters asked their dissertation supervisor and their personal tutor, for me my supervisor was my tutor, so I don't know who else to ask. One lecturer I did an essay for and got an A in said he doesn't really know me well enough. My stupid ****ing uni didn't think this through. Any advice?

Go to one of your other professors.
im p sure you can get a reference from another lecturer, id say maybe go to another lecturer whos research is in a similar field to the work you were doing for your dissertation
Reply 3
im p sure you can get a reference from another lecturer, id say maybe go to another lecturer whos research is in a similar field to the work you were doing for your dissertation

Thanks for replying, i did it on bone cancer because that is what the supervisor researches, and as far as I know no one else does that. Some of the lecturers don't reply, like the ones ive gone to for help when i didn't understand something in the lecture. I don't think they remember me.

Just ask another lecturer either you know well or performed well in their module. It's you who decide who to ask for references, it's not the university's fault at all.
Reply 5
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Just ask another lecturer either you know well or performed well in their module. It's you who decide who to ask for references, it's not the university's fault at all.

I am asking the lecturers I know and spoken to if they say no or don't reply what do you expect me to do? Also due to corona I can't go to uni ether. Also everyone I know who had applied for a masters asked for a reference from their tutor and supervisor because they know them the best and had two academics supporting them, That was what we were told to do for references. I was the only one in the year who had the same person for both a far as I know. Also supervisors were assigned to us didn't get to choose them.
Original post by Kdog21
I am asking the lecturers I know and spoken to if they say no or don't reply what do you expect me to do? Also due to corona I can't go to uni ether. Also everyone I know who had applied for a masters asked for a reference from their tutor and supervisor because they know them the best and had two academics supporting them, That was what we were told to do for references. I was the only one in the year who had the same person for both a far as I know. Also supervisors were assigned to us didn't get to choose them.

If they say no, then you'll need to think outside the box. Do you have a boss you could ask? Universities can advise you on who to use as a reference, but obviously it's up to you to approach relevant people. If you are completely at a loss, contact the university/universities you are applying to and ask if they will accept a single reference.
Reply 7
My personal tutor was also my dissertation supervisor, so I asked a module convenor to be my 2nd reference. She had only been teaching me for a few months at the time but I was quite involved in seminar discussions and had been to speak to her in her office hours prior. Have a think about there is anyone from previous years of your degree who might be able to give you a reference, and if not, as someone above suggested, a reference from an employer could work, especially if you have work experience related to your subject area.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending