The Student Room Group

How do I request to re-do an assignment at univeristy?

Today, I submitted my first university assignment, and I know for sure I'm failing. I haven't referenced properly and I missed one question out due to my slowness. I have anxiety and a slow-processing speed but haven't actually gone to the doctor for a diagnosis. Before submitting I had an anxiety attack. I realy want to prove myself and don't want a failed assignment representing my work ethic. Is there a way to request to re-do an assignment?
Original post by Anonymous
Today, I submitted my first university assignment, and I know for sure I'm failing. I haven't referenced properly and I missed one question out due to my slowness. I have anxiety and a slow-processing speed but haven't actually gone to the doctor for a diagnosis. Before submitting I had an anxiety attack. I realy want to prove myself and don't want a failed assignment representing my work ethic. Is there a way to request to re-do an assignment?

Unlikely,
Their is a processes to get uncapped resits or extensions but these normally require exceptional circumstances such as a medical issue, bereavement or similar (and evidence).

If you fail a module you are likely to be required to resit it, and resits without extenuating circumstances at most unis are normally capped at 40%.

TBH I wouldn't worry about it now, its your first assignment, just try and learn from this, so you can improve future assignments, look at your feedback and think about what you pleased with and where you know you can improve.
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
Unlikely,
Their is a processes to get uncapped resits or extensions but these normally require exceptional circumstances such as a medical issue, bereavement or similar (and evidence).

If you fail a module you are likely to be required to resit it, and resits without extenuating circumstances at most unis are normally capped at 40%.

TBH I wouldn't worry about it now, its your first assignment, just try and learn from this, so you can improve future assignments, look at your feedback and think about what you pleased with and where you know you can improve.

Thanks for the response.
Since I'm in my first year, the assignment won't go towards my final grade, right, as in my degree classification?
Thanks for the response.
Since I'm in my first year, the assignment won't go towards my final grade, right, as in my degree classification?

It will depend on your unis academic policies/regulations, but yes at the vast majority of UK unis first year doesn't count.
Reply 4
Original post by mnot
It will depend on your unis academic policies/regulations, but yes at the vast majority of UK unis first year doesn't count.

Thanks, after reading your reponses, I feel like I have clear head now.
What would you recommend I do for my anxiety when it comes to assignments?
Reply 5
Thanks for the response.

Very much doubt it only first essay. As above just take feedback, you know what you have missed out and move on.

Have you seen your gp and discussed your anxiety with them.Did you have this at school too? How does the slow processing effect you?

This is a tough one, and not something I have any expertise on.

I think after you do a couple more hopefully you'll get a better fell for them, & some of the unknown anxiety will drop off, although some people always have some anxiety.

I would pay attention to assessment criteria and just focus on delivering in your best quality, if you know its your best effort then hopefully you can relax, if you believe your anxiety is severe & perisistent then you might want to consider looking at what your SU offers or a GP.
sometimes if you contact the library desk or student support services they can delete it and re submit as long as it’s before the deadline. this happened to me as I had submitted the wrong file and the guy at the library desk was able to delete it and put the correct file in. Check with the technical department. Just say you uploaded the wrong version and could you resubmit
Reply 8
Original post by Scotney
Very much doubt it only first essay. As above just take feedback, you know what you have missed out and move on.

Have you seen your gp and discussed your anxiety with them.Did you have this at school too? How does the slow processing effect you?

I haven't seen a gp, I didn't want to admit I had anxiety but it gotten worse, so I think will. During GCSEs and A levels, I did have some panic attacks. My sixth form only knew I had a slow processing speed, I was tested and would've recieved extra time on my A levels. Having a slow processing speed means you understand concepts slower, you think slower and it takes longer to form answers as well, which is why I am somewhat worried for my future assignments. The assignment I submitted could've been worse, after almost finishing a question I realised I did it wrong.
Reply 9
Original post by mnot
This is a tough one, and not something I have any expertise on.

I think after you do a couple more hopefully you'll get a better fell for them, & some of the unknown anxiety will drop off, although some people always have some anxiety.

I would pay attention to assessment criteria and just focus on delivering in your best quality, if you know its your best effort then hopefully you can relax, if you believe your anxiety is severe & perisistent then you might want to consider looking at what your SU offers or a GP.

Thanks for the advise. I know the only way to improve is to continue trying.
sometimes if you contact the library desk or student support services they can delete it and re submit as long as it’s before the deadline. this happened to me as I had submitted the wrong file and the guy at the library desk was able to delete it and put the correct file in. Check with the technical department. Just say you uploaded the wrong version and could you resubmit

Thanks for the tip, I didn't know that, but today was the deadline. >-<
I haven't seen a gp, I didn't want to admit I had anxiety but it gotten worse, so I think will. During GCSEs and A levels, I did have some panic attacks. My sixth form only knew I had a slow processing speed, I was tested and would've recieved extra time on my A levels. Having a slow processing speed means you understand concepts slower, you think slower and it takes longer to form answers as well, which is why I am somewhat worried for my future assignments. The assignment I submitted could've been worse, after almost finishing a question I realised I did it wrong.

Well done for handing it in at least. Look it is the first one and it has been a long time since you had to meet any deadline so being anxious is understandable. Re processing my daughter has similar issues. Have you tried dictating your answers /essays into your phone rather than writing them first. She really found this helps.
Do see your gp and see what they say. But do not worry about this assignment. It is just a beginning.

Put in an extenuating circumstances claim and supply your evidence.
The standard rule is if you submit something then you are declaring it is suitable to be marked.
It is unlikely they will let you without evidence as they only have your say so.
Original post by Scotney
Well done for handing it in at least. Look it is the first one and it has been a long time since you had to meet any deadline so being anxious is understandable. Re processing my daughter has similar issues. Have you tried dictating your answers /essays into your phone rather than writing them first. She really found this helps.
Do see your gp and see what they say. But do not worry about this assignment. It is just a beginning.

Thank you.
I do try to pre-determine my answers but sometimes I can misunderstand the question and I realise when its too late.
Today, I called the gp and they direct me to a wellbeing service but I'm still feeling anxious about future assignments.
Original post by 999tigger
Put in an extenuating circumstances claim and supply your evidence.
The standard rule is if you submit something then you are declaring it is suitable to be marked.
It is unlikely they will let you without evidence as they only have your say so.

Thank you for your response. I think I'll contact the module leader about this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending