The Student Room Group

Brighton College entrance exams

Hello! :smile:
So, I'm applying for sixth form at several schools, one of them being Brighton College, and the entrance exams are in a couple of weeks.
I know what the different papers will be on (a combined English and Maths paper, a General paper (looking at scientific reasoning, writing and logic), and a Verbal Reasoning paper), but other than that, the information I have is very vague.
I was wondering if anyone has done these entrance exams or anything similar in the past few years. Also, if anyone is doing the exams this year, I'd be curious as to what sort of/how much prep you're doing? Any info would be greatly appreciated! :tongue:

Scroll to see replies

Has anybody get received notification as to whether they have got through to the interview stage?
Original post by rubyrockcake
Hello! :smile:
So, I'm applying for sixth form at several schools, one of them being Brighton College, and the entrance exams are in a couple of weeks.
I know what the different papers will be on (a combined English and Maths paper, a General paper (looking at scientific reasoning, writing and logic), and a Verbal Reasoning paper), but other than that, the information I have is very vague.
I was wondering if anyone has done these entrance exams or anything similar in the past few years. Also, if anyone is doing the exams this year, I'd be curious as to what sort of/how much prep you're doing? Any info would be greatly appreciated! :tongue:

Hi!! I'm taking the entrance exam for Brighton this year, was the exam hard??
Original post by apple20822
Hi!! I'm taking the entrance exam for Brighton this year, was the exam hard??

I didn't find the exams too hard :smile: From memory, the science paper was the trickiest (at least for me). The interviews were fairly tough, though!
Original post by rubyrockcake
I didn't find the exams too hard :smile: From memory, the science paper was the trickiest (at least for me). The interviews were fairly tough, though!

Are the questions asked within the IGCSE syllabus? :smile:
Original post by apple20822
Are the questions asked within the IGCSE syllabus? :smile:

I'm not sure about that seeing as I haven't done IGCSEs (or GCSEs), but I think the exams are aimed more at trying to test your general abilities and problem solving skills, so you can't really study for them.
What were the papers like?
Reply 7
How were the interviews tough? What questions did they ask?
Brighton definitely prefers a well-rounded person, if you're only good at academics, and you aren't very good it will be harder to get in than someone who plays sport and music as well. This is because there is no limit of students who have high academic accolades applying, so there needs to be something else needed to differentiate. If I remember correctly, the interviews aren't exactly orthodox, with questions such as 'If you could travel anywhere in time, where would you and why?' asked, to explore how you think outside the box, and see if you have further interest in your subjects.
Reply 9
I will take the entrance exam for GCSE in 2 weeks, what should i revise???help
Reply 10
Hey so what type of exams were they and was it hard
Reply 11
hey how was the exams was it hard and what did you have to do
Reply 12
Original post by hjf,bj
hey how was the exams was it hard and what did you have to do

Hiiii, I’m applying for Brighton this year, are you as well?
where the exams hard? what topics did the contain??
i am
I just did the test for scientific reasoning, I am not sure if it is because I do double science and it is a triple science thing or if my school just doesn't teach me stuff but half the stuff on it was not anything like I have ever studied. I think the whole point of the test was to see if you are good at using your current knowledge to try and work out questions you shouldn't know yet. I would appreciate if someone could assure me that they felt the same and that I am definitely not an idiot lol.
Original post by S_Mo3470
I just did the test for scientific reasoning, I am not sure if it is because I do double science and it is a triple science thing or if my school just doesn't teach me stuff but half the stuff on it was not anything like I have ever studied. I think the whole point of the test was to see if you are good at using your current knowledge to try and work out questions you shouldn't know yet. I would appreciate if someone could assure me that they felt the same and that I am definitely not an idiot lol.

sameeee omg and i legit couldnt choose which sciences to do because I doedexcel igcse and we haven't done half of those things, so don't worry!!

same omg and I legit couldn't choose which sciences to do because I do Edexcel IGCSE and we haven't done half of those things, so don't worry!!
same omg and I legit couldn't choose which sciences to do because I do Edexcel IGCSE and we haven't done half of those things, so don't worry!

Original post by anjaninanda
sameeee omg and i legit couldnt choose which sciences to do because I doedexcel igcse and we haven't done half of those things, so don't worry!!

Phewwww, well I mean I passed and got to the interview stage so maybe it was this hard for everyone lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending