The Student Room Group

Uni Life

I’ve never lived by myself so I’m a little scared about Uni and moving away from home. I don’t know how to cook, or even use a washing machine, so I’m super nervous

How was the experience for you guys and were any of you like this before moving out?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve never lived by myself so I’m a little scared about Uni and moving away from home. I don’t know how to cook, or even use a washing machine, so I’m super nervous

How was the experience for you guys and were any of you like this before moving out?

hey, hope youre well. I personally could do all this stuff before uni, but tbh most people dont really cook. please try not to worry about it! as long as you learn how to make basics like pasta and stuff you can just put in the oven, thatll be fine. as for the washing machines, at my uni there are literally instructions on the machines on how to use them.
you will be fine, many people are in that situation before uni. good luck! xx
uni. good luck!! xx
Reply 2
Original post by xoxcm
hey, hope youre well. I personally could do all this stuff before uni, but tbh most people dont really cook. please try not to worry about it! as long as you learn how to make basics like pasta and stuff you can just put in the oven, thatll be fine. as for the washing machines, at my uni there are literally instructions on the machines on how to use them.
you will be fine, many people are in that situation before uni. good luck! xx
uni. good luck!! xx

Cheers for the reply, really helpful. I’ll sit down with mum and make pasta, rice etc. I’m literally clueless when it comes to cooking, I can barley boil an egg haha. Once again, thanks.

Hey, you will be absolutely fine! I didn’t know how to use a washing machine either but you’ll just turn, my first day washing clothes at uni was chaotic trying to figure out how a washing machine works but looking back it’s funny. As for cooking, you’ll be surprised how many people come to uni not knowing how to cook and they end up living on pasta which I advise you not to do! Cooking is a weird one tbh you don’t need to learn how to be a chef even if you know how to turn the cooker on and fry something or put something in the oven then that’s good enough. You can always just ask your flatmates which is what I did! Good luck!
Reply 4
Cheers for the reply, really helpful. I’ll sit down with mum and make pasta, rice etc. I’m literally clueless when it comes to cooking, I can barley boil an egg haha. Once again, thanks.

I'm really glad it was helpful! Would be good to learn how to make spag bol or chili, you can freeze them and they work out as really healthy and cheap dinners. Hope it goes well for you x
Hey, you will be absolutely fine! I didn’t know how to use a washing machine either but you’ll just turn, my first day washing clothes at uni was chaotic trying to figure out how a washing machine works but looking back it’s funny. As for cooking, you’ll be surprised how many people come to uni not knowing how to cook and they end up living on pasta which I advise you not to do! Cooking is a weird one tbh you don’t need to learn how to be a chef even if you know how to turn the cooker on and fry something or put something in the oven then that’s good enough. You can always just ask your flatmates which is what I did! Good luck!

At least I’m not the only one. Thanks for the reply, appreciate it.

Lots of people are like this. Well moving out is how you adapt.
A washing machine is easy. Cooking, it takes practice. Get some practice before you go.

Being nervous is natural, everyone who goes to uni is. I don’t think there’s much i can tell you that will end the nerves but hopefully the reassurance that you’re in the same boat as millions of other people have gone through. And the reality is a few weeks after you arrive you’ll have settled in and living away will be the norm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending