The Student Room Group

Will my new uni know if I failed a year?

So I have basically already failed my first year because I ABSOLUTELY hate my university and have no motivation to go to lectures.

I’m going to apply for the same course at a different uni through UCAS to start in 2021 as I really want to get a 2:1 and it’ll be almost impossible if I carry on at my current uni. Will they know I attended a different university? If so will they know any of my results from my current year at university? As I’m scared that if they have a way of knowing results of my course work/ exam they may not give me an an offer due to it being all fails.
Reply 1
Hey, I'm not sure what it's like at your uni but when I went first year grades didn't count towards the final degree classification. So even if you haven't done well in coursework this year you could still get a 2:1.

However, it sounds like you have a bad relationship with studying at your current uni, so it's completely understandable if you wanted a fresh start.

Does your course usually interview? If yes, then the new uni may ask what you did in the year between finishing sixth form and starting their course.

Do you have an academic advisor or tutor you could talk to at your current uni? They will know the system if a student wants to leave their course.
You could also try calling the admissions department of your new uni and talk to them about it.

This has been a really difficult year for everyone with motivation, so don't beat yourself up about it! I graduated in 2019 but know I would have struggled so much with all online classes. You might want to see someone at your uni's wellbeing/ mental health services as they can help prepare you to start fresh and take as little academic baggage to your new uni! :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by EllieO
Hey, I'm not sure what it's like at your uni but when I went first year grades didn't count towards the final degree classification. So even if you haven't done well in coursework this year you could still get a 2:1.

However, it sounds like you have a bad relationship with studying at your current uni, so it's completely understandable if you wanted a fresh start.

Does your course usually interview? If yes, then the new uni may ask what you did in the year between finishing sixth form and starting their course.

Do you have an academic advisor or tutor you could talk to at your current uni? They will know the system if a student wants to leave their course.
You could also try calling the admissions department of your new uni and talk to them about it.

This has been a really difficult year for everyone with motivation, so don't beat yourself up about it! I graduated in 2019 but know I would have struggled so much with all online classes. You might want to see someone at your uni's wellbeing/ mental health services as they can help prepare you to start fresh and take as little academic baggage to your new uni! :smile:

I did the easiest module exam and failed it, meaning that I’ll need to do very very well in the harder modules to get a 2:1, for some reason my first year exam is counting towards the final degree!

My course is Veterinary Nursing, which usually does have interviews. I’m just very nervous that they’ll ask why I’m starting fresh and why I failed/didn’t like it the first time round. It has absolutely nothing to do with the course , it’s everything to do with the university & the fact I can’t learn online! I’m scared they’ll think I’m not fit enough to be a Vet Nurse or something!
Reply 3
I would get advice from your academic advisor/ tutor and the admissions team from your university (current or future) as they will know the process best.
This article has loads of information about transferring to a different university or dropping out: https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/student-advice/after-you-start/transferring-or-dropping-out-of-university

I'm not sure how you'd feel about transferring universities as pretty much all unis will do online teaching. Perhaps taking a year out and applying for 2021 entry would be an option for you.

Again, I would speak to a staff member at your university, as they will know best.
Reply 4
I’m planning on applying for 2021 to restart my course at a different uni. Would this be considering transferring or ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending