The Student Room Group

I’m obsessed with my Latin teacher

So I’m in Year 10 and I have this Latin teacher who I am obsessed with. He teaches me twice a week and I try and make sure I see him every day. He’s not the fittest or the best looking but to me he’s perfect and he’s got the sweetest heart. Recently he’s opened up to me about how he’s lost his mum and sometimes has to borrow money from his dad. He’s tall and when he wears this dark blue suit it really brings out his eyes.

I started getting a crush on him just before we went into lockdown and when schools closed my heart hurt because I couldn’t see him. During online lessons, I tried to make sure he would know I was there.

Over summer we stayed in contact as I was doing a research project for a competition and he was the organiser. When we got back to school I tried to make sure he saw me and knew I was there. I would talk to him as often as possible and would try and be around the classrooms I knew he would be in. Recently I’ve been going through a tough mental phase and so I sent him an email asking to talk. The following break, I spoke to him and poured my heart out but making sure I didn’t make it seem I was in love with him.

Last week, I sent him a letter saying how appreciative I was of him and how much he helps me and overall saying thank you. He replied with the sweetest email but it breaks my heart to know that we will never have a chance to be together. I can never stop thinking about him and I always have dreams of us living together and stuff like that. Even at half term I asked him what to do to improve my Latin and he said absolutely nothing; he even said such kind things about me at parents evening.

Please could someone advise me because I thought it was just a crush but I can’t get over him.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Him35252
So I’m in Year 10 and I have this Latin teacher who I am obsessed with. He teaches me twice a week and I try and make sure I see him every day. I started getting a crush on him just before we went into lockdown and when schools closed my heart hurt because I couldn’t see him. During online lessons, I tried to make sure he would know I was there.
Over summer we stayed in contact as I was doing a research project for a competition and he was the organiser. When we got back to school I tried to make sure he saw me and knew I was there. I would talk to him as often as possible and would try and be around the classrooms I knew he would be in. Recently I’ve been going through a tough mental phase and so I sent him an email asking to talk. The following break, I spoke to him and poured my heart out but making sure I didn’t make it seem I was in love with him.

Last week, I sent him a letter saying how appreciative I was of him and how much he helps me and overall saying thank you. He replied with the sweetest email but it breaks my heart to know that we will never have a chance to be together. I can never stop thinking about him and I always have dreams of us living together and stuff like that. Even at half term I asked him what to do to improve my Latin and he said absolutely nothing; he even said such kind things about me at parents evening.

Please could someone advise me because I thought it was just a crush but I can’t get over him.

The fact that you understand this is impossible, and that you know you need to get over him means you've already made a good start. I would suggest maybe try to avoid him for a while; so stop standing by his classes and aiming to see him every day. Just attend your lessons, for now, and focus on your work. Hopefully, others can help with some more advice x
Reply 2
Original post by Junaki
The fact that you understand this is impossible, and that you know you need to get over him means you've already made a good start. I would suggest maybe try to avoid him for a while; so stop standing by his classes and aiming to see him every day. Just attend your lessons, for now, and focus on your work. Hopefully, others can help with some more advice x

Thank you so much but I don’t know how I’m going to stop. Like I’ve tried so hard but I start feeling really sad when I can’t see him or if he isn’t in school. Xx
So I’m in Year 10 and I have this Latin teacher who I am obsessed with. He teaches me twice a week and I try and make sure I see him every day. I started getting a crush on him just before we went into lockdown and when schools closed my heart hurt because I couldn’t see him. During online lessons, I tried to make sure he would know I was there.

Try to control your emotions and feelings because sooner or later he will notice and your 'relationship' from teacher to student will be awkward , what i would do is trying to find someone else in your school who you are interested in and eventually your mind will drift off away from your latin teacher
Reply 4
Thank you so much but I don’t know how I’m going to stop. Like I’ve tried so hard but I start feeling really sad when I can’t see him or if he isn’t in school. Xx

Maybe get yourself busier at school, so your mind can focus on something else. Like joining a club, or hanging around friends?

Spoiler

Reply 5
Original post by hapiolen
Try to control your emotions and feelings because sooner or later he will notice and your 'relationship' from teacher to student will be awkward , what i would do is trying to find someone else in your school who you are interested in and eventually your mind will drift off away from your latin teacher

Ok thanks, I am trying. I’ve told my closest friends that he’s my fav and they think that we’re quite close for teacher and student. I know the dangers and that it’s not a good idea but I’m trying.
Reply 6
Original post by Junaki
Maybe get yourself busier at school, so your mind can focus on something else. Like joining a club, or hanging around friends?

Spoiler

I actually do clubs every day both in and out of school, I play county level sports, grade 7 flute and starting my silver DofE. I always hang around with friends but whenever we hang out, I always end up seeing him and most of the time, it’s unplanned. I am doing as much as I can but I’ve had to drop a lot because it was too much. But thanks so much xx
Reply 7
So I’m in Year 10 and I have this Latin teacher who I am obsessed with. He teaches me twice a week and I try and make sure I see him every day. He’s not the fittest or the best looking but to me he’s perfect and he’s got the sweetest heart. Recently he’s opened up to me about how he’s lost his mum and sometimes has to borrow money from his dad. He’s tall and when he wears this dark blue suit it really brings out his eyes.

I started getting a crush on him just before we went into lockdown and when schools closed my heart hurt because I couldn’t see him. During online lessons, I tried to make sure he would know I was there.

How old are you?

Once you leave school and you're old enough, you could hypothetically pursue a relationship with him. It's possible that he likes you too, though he's also aware of the implications of getting involved with a student.
Latin teacher? That's a bit posh. But as others have said, you have recognised that a relationship is a non-starter.
Reply 9
Original post by Joel 96
How old are you?

Once you leave school and you're old enough, you could hypothetically pursue a relationship with him. It's possible that he likes you too, though he's also aware of the implications of getting involved with a student.

14 - yes ik I’m young and there’s a 20 year age gap between us. I know it sounds gross please don’t judge and it’s probably my hormones all over the place but I’ve liked him a lot for almost a year and normally my crushes go in a couple of months. Yes he probably is and he jokes around a lot and is also really strict and very very good teacher. He’s sometimes hinted he likes me more than others but I think it’s because (I don’t want to sound arrogant) but I’m the best in our class
Original post by Joel 96
How old are you?

I am a year 10 too :smile: but I wouldn't encourage this with the fact it being illegal but say if you were to pursue a relationship with him that would make him a paedophile and if the "relationship" continued after you left school he could try pursue a relationship with another child
Reply 11
Original post by barnetlad
Latin teacher? That's a bit posh. But as others have said, you have recognised that a relationship is a non-starter.

Yh sorry :frown: . I do know it’s out of bounds but it hurts so much I can’t help but dream of scenarios. Like (I know this sounds stupid) but sometimes I cry myself to sleep knowing we can never be together. I know there are obviously others I could advert my attention to but I can’t get him out my head
Why on Earth did he tell you that he sometimes borrows money from his dad?
Reply 13
Original post by Anonymous
I am a year 10 too :smile: but I wouldn't encourage this with the fact it being illegal but say if you were to pursue a relationship with him that would make him a paedophile and if the "relationship" continued after you left school he could try pursue a relationship with another child

Yeh I know :frown: . He’s the loveliest man tho. I don’t think he is a paedophile and honestly I know we could never be together anyway
Reply 14
Original post by YaliaV123
Why on Earth did he tell you that he sometimes borrows money from his dad?

He said it to the whole class. We were discussing something about politics in a club that he runs and he casually said it. Kind of as a joke but he’s like that; he will occasionally say some stuff like that cause he knows he can trust us. He has only told me about the mum thing because I was having a really hard time getting over my grandad who passed in lockdown so we couldn’t even have a funeral. I think he was just trying to comfort me
14 - yes ik I’m young and there’s a 20 year age gap between us. I know it sounds gross please don’t judge and it’s probably my hormones all over the place but I’ve liked him a lot for almost a year and normally my crushes go in a couple of months. Yes he probably is and he jokes around a lot and is also really strict and very very good teacher. He’s sometimes hinted he likes me more than others but I think it’s because (I don’t want to sound arrogant) but I’m the best in our class

It's okay, I'm not judging. Well, if it's more than just hormones and a girl's crush, you only have to wait 2 years until you could actually contact him outside of school (provided you're not a student at that school anymore). It sounds like it could be more than just a crush since you've liked him for almost a year, but I really don't know. I feel for you, it must be tough not being able to admit your feelings to someone you're not allowed to be with.
Original post by Anonymous

If he liked her at 14, it would technically be "hebephilia", since pedophilia is the attraction to prepubescent children. It's a grey area in regards to morality and consent, but the law in this country is 16 nevertheless.
Reply 17
Original post by Joel 96
It's okay, I'm not judging. Well, if it's more than just hormones and a girl's crush, you only have to wait 2 years until you could actually contact him outside of school (provided you're not a student at that school anymore). It sounds like it could be more than just a crush since you've liked him for almost a year, but I really don't know. I feel for you, it must be tough not being able to admit your feelings to someone you're not allowed to be with.

Yeah it’s tough. It does eat me up sometimes but I deal with it. I have to wait 4 years though because I’m doing my a levels at this school. I want to do Latin a levels because I like the subject but I know that if I don’t get that teacher, I might not like it as much.
Yeah it’s tough. It does eat me up sometimes but I deal with it. I have to wait 4 years though because I’m doing my a levels at this school. I want to do Latin a levels because I like the subject but I know that if I don’t get that teacher, I might not like it as much.

Yeah, that's tough. Well, time will tell whether your feelings are serious or not. It's possible that you'll meet other people during that time and forget all about him. You do sound really mature for your age though. Good luck with the Latin, and update the thread if you feel you need to vent again in the future. Happy to help.
Reply 19
Original post by Joel 96
Yeah, that's tough. Well, time will tell whether your feelings are serious or not. It's possible that you'll meet other people during that time and forget all about him. You do sound really mature for your age though. Good luck with the Latin, and update the thread if you feel you need to vent again in the future. Happy to help.

Thank you x. I do think I am more mature than others of my age only because of what I’ve been through in the last 3 years. I don’t know if this is bad (probably is) but I see him as a second dad. I don’t have a good relationship with my parents and actually I think, recently, I’ve told him more than my actual parents. I do know that that’s bad and I need to stop relying on him as much and talk to my parents a lot more. But at the moment I’m a bit stuck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending