The Student Room Group

To old for uni

Hi, I’m 21 currently studying on an access course and I am going to be studying chemistry at uni,
When we start I would’ve just turned 22 and I was planning on staying in halls, however I’m getting really anxious thinking about staying in halls with 18 year olds and I’m worried that people will think I’m too old and I won’t be able to make any friends, I want to move city to somewhere new because I currently come from a small city but I am worried that I may become even more lonely if everyone thinks I’m too old?

Scroll to see replies

I lived in halls at 22-23. Had plenty of friends!
Original post by sinfonietta
I lived in halls at 22-23. Had plenty of friends!

Was everyone still welcoming? :smile:
Original post by Rainbowpink1999x
Was everyone still welcoming? :smile:

Yep! Faced absolutely zero issues. There were other people the same age too.
You don't have to tell people how old you are, you know...
Original post by Anonymous
You don't have to tell people how old you are, you know...

Yes obviously I don’t have to tell people, however I feel like it’s something that would come up in conversation pretty early on
Hi, I’m 21 currently studying on an access course and I am going to be studying chemistry at uni,
When we start I would’ve just turned 22 and I was planning on staying in halls, however I’m getting really anxious thinking about staying in halls with 18 year olds and I’m worried that people will think I’m too old and I won’t be able to make any friends, I want to move city to somewhere new because I currently come from a small city but I am worried that I may become even more lonely if everyone thinks I’m too old?

Nobody will know or care about your age. They might if you bleat it to everyone had making it an issue. In reality no one will care and there will be actual mature students there. Its yhour anxiety creating barriers when in reality there are none and your age isnt an issue. The most I cna think of is you may think some of them are a bit immature at the beginning as they get being away from home out of their systems.
Hi!
There is a lot of people starting at that age or even older. I started at 21 and I still made friends my age, older and younger and I lived in the halls! Try and get yourself into a society that might help to make friends!
Good Luck 😊

Hey @Rainbowpink1999x,

I am currently doing a distance learning course, 9 years since I finished my undergrad, and I don't think you are ever too old to go to university and live there. When I was in halls there were students who were nearly 30 living there. I think it is good sometimes to have an older person to look up to that has had a more life experience. Also you will find that there will be other students on your course who are older. I was one of the youngest on my course when I started straight after my ALevels!

Abigail
Arden University Student Ambassador

Their is no age limit (at least upper one), do what you want.
Half the people in my first year flat (3/6) were aged 22 or older.

One of my neighbours was a pleasant 30 year old who was doing his second degree.

Nothing wrong with being a bit of an old fart (I'm joking by the way, your 20's don't make you old! XD)
You will find a variety of ages at university - in my class you will find a mixed range of between 18-24 - and students in other modules are considerably older. Age doesn’t really come up in conversation at least with students I know. Besides you have Masters students like myself who are mid-20 and PhD students in their 30-40s beyond.
I also done an access course but at 23 and I’m just about to finish my degree in Pharmacology! Its never too late to chase your dreams and you’ll meet friends from all ages and backgrounds 🤗 Good luck!
Reply 13
Damn, you are not to old🤣 I'm studying now access course too and I'm going to be 32 if I get to uni🙄
Thanks everyone for the reassurance, i guess its my anxieties trying to find excuses for me not to go, but this is something I have wanted to do since I was around 15 so I just need to push through, I know once I get there I will be thankful I went :smile:
Reply 15
I'm not worry about going there, I'm more concerne how I would manage working full time and keeping with all the assignments 🙄
Thanks everyone for the reassurance, i guess its my anxieties trying to find excuses for me not to go, but this is something I have wanted to do since I was around 15 so I just need to push through, I know once I get there I will be thankful I went :smile:

There’s no doubt its a scary thought and being anxious is sooo normal! The anxiousness will be a mix of worry and excitement and as you say you just need to push through it because I have no doubt it will be one of the best decisions you make! It takes courage to go back into education as a mature student but just remember your life experience and maturity will allow you to really do well, keep focused and get everything out of the course 🤗!
Original post by NicoleDV
There’s no doubt its a scary thought and being anxious is sooo normal! The anxiousness will be a mix of worry and excitement and as you say you just need to push through it because I have no doubt it will be one of the best decisions you make! It takes courage to go back into education as a mature student but just remember your life experience and maturity will allow you to really do well, keep focused and get everything out of the course 🤗!

yep just a scary thought as i still live at home with my parents still etc! but its all new experiences and it'll be worth it in the end :biggrin:
Original post by wesoly
I'm not worry about going there, I'm more concerne how I would manage working full time and keeping with all the assignments 🙄

well i currently work 2am-8am 5 nights a week, managed to keep up with all the assignments etc so far with college, however when I am at uni I will be working less hours, its all about time management I guess and being organised

You're never too old for uni 22 is very young you have nothing to worry about. A lot of my friends are in their fid 20's :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending