The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by hajima
The 8 in Maths is a point of weakness and they may just not have liked your personal statement as much as you did. It's probably best not to dwell on it, Trinity is the most competitive college for Maths anyway.

^ as they said. Cambridge is arguably the best university in the world, so they have the luxury of deciding if someone got an 8, they can choose from the other 1000s of students who got 9s. If they weren't so selective, they wouldn't have so many applicants, its self perpetuating.
I would be surprised if the January feedback is bespoke to each applicant or all that enlightening. A competitive course could have a 100 or less places and receive 2000-3000 applications per cycle. That's potentially a lot of feedback to give.

Most likely it's going to be some version of "we consider all aspects of your application, on this occasion there were other candidates who scored better overall. We do/do not encourage you to reapply in the future."

There might be templates for applicants whose academic profile or PS were the weakest aspect of their application though.
Original post by Elise_adventures
Speaking to others, the 8 in maths gcse seems to be a very valid reason for them having rejected you pre-interview. If you got 9s in other subjects but not maths then it will seem as if you are better at other subjects.

I'm not sure, from what I have heard Cambridge put a much bigger emphasis on A level grades as opposed to GCSE.
Original post by Anumu
^ as they said. Cambridge is arguably the best university in the world, so they have the luxury of deciding if someone got an 8, they can choose from the other 1000s of students who got 9s. If they weren't so selective, they wouldn't have so many applicants, its self perpetuating.

I'm not sure. The Cambridge application process is holistic, they take all parts of the application into account when making a decision.
Original post by Admit-One
I would be surprised if the January feedback is bespoke to each applicant or all that enlightening. A competitive course could have a 100 or less places and receive 2000-3000 applications per cycle. That's potentially a lot of feedback to give.

Most likely it's going to be some version of "we consider all aspects of your application, on this occasion there were other candidates who scored better overall. We do/do not encourage you to reapply in the future."

There might be templates for applicants whose academic profile or PS were the weakest aspect of their application though.

I have not heard of many people requesting feedback. I would really like to be fully informed before I decide to reapply.
Original post by username1939826
I'm not sure, from what I have heard Cambridge put a much bigger emphasis on A level grades as opposed to GCSE.

They did when people did AS levels, if you had an A in your maths A-level then it may be a different story. For your overall average GCSE grade then sure and for subjects which don't obviously continue from the A level course. In England maths GCSE is compulsory. You got 9s in other subjects which will disadvantage you if you then got an 8 in maths. If you got an 8 in maths they won't trust your predicted a level grade, you have to get an A* in maths A level. People get offers who have a low average GCSE grade but still got the top mark in maths. Unless you have extreme contextual circumstances (wouldn't count for you because you got more than one nine) they will only take those with the top gcse maths grades. My boyfriend got a maths offer at cambridge despite getting Cs and Bs in some subjects, I know many others with maths offers from cambridge who go there, all got top maths grades. This is coming from a final year uni student, not someone currently going through the process. It was the 8 in maths. I am sorry you got rejected but this isn't a mystery, it is pretty clear why you got rejected.
I have not heard of many people requesting feedback. I would really like to be fully informed before I decide to reapply.

I appreciate it would be helpful to know where to focus your efforts, or even if a re-application was not encouraged for any reason.

If most applicants accept the decision then it's entirely possible you will get something very specific to you. I can only compare this to one of our own very competitive programmes where the vast majority of applicants are very well qualified. Invariably this causes a large number of them to request further feedback after our initial guidance.
Reply 67

Clearly, you're smart to even be applying in the first place. What do you think is more likely, there has been some kind of error with your application which is practically unheard of out of the 20,000 they receive a year, or you didn't get an interview at the best university in the world.
Original post by Admit-One
I appreciate it would be helpful to know where to focus your efforts, or even if a re-application was not encouraged for any reason.

If most applicants accept the decision then it's entirely possible you will get something very specific to you. I can only compare this to one of our own very competitive programmes where the vast majority of applicants are very well qualified. Invariably this causes a large number of them to request further feedback after our initial guidance.

I will definitely post back here any future developments.
Original post by Anumu
Clearly, you're smart to even be applying in the first place. What do you think is more likely, there has been some kind of error with your application which is practically unheard of out of the 20,000 they receive a year, or you didn't get an interview at the best university in the world.

I will be asking in January for feedback so that I can improve my application based off what they suggest should I apply again next year.
I will be asking in January for feedback so that I can improve my application based off what they suggest should I apply again next year.

If your plan is to reapply next year you have to make sure you get all your predicted A level grades, STEP 2
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Anti-Covid19
If your plan is to reapply next year you have to make sure you get all your predicted A level grades, STEP 2

I am aiming for S,S in STEP and this will put me in a good position to reapply.
I am aiming for S,S in STEP and this will put me in a good position to reapply.

Sorry my previous post was incomplete when I try to edit it.
You see I would suggest you apply to another college next year even if you get A*A*A*A* & SS. The reason is although there is a minimum requirement for the course, different colleges will definitely have their own way or criteria to select the candidates they want to accept. You will never know the exact reason even if you do get a feedback in January. If like previous post had suggested that it was your Grade 8 in maths then no matter what your A level & STEP 2 & 3 are you will still no get selected.
Of course the decision will be yours and also aim is only Trinity and not Cambridge. Good luck!
Original post by Anti-Covid19
Sorry my previous post was incomplete when I try to edit it.
You see I would suggest you apply to another college next year even if you get A*A*A*A* & SS. The reason is although there is a minimum requirement for the course, different colleges will definitely have their own way or criteria to select the candidates they want to accept. You will never know the exact reason even if you do get a feedback in January. If like previous post had suggested that it was your Grade 8 in maths then no matter what your A level & STEP 2 & 3 are you will still no get selected.
Of course the decision will be yours and also aim is only Trinity and not Cambridge. Good luck!

Thank you for the advice!
Reply 74
I'm afraid that an 8 in Maths GCSE is your answer. You chose to apply to the "top" college for Maths - it's incredibly over-subscribed and there are limited numbers of interview places. You will have been competing against candidates who have competed in IMO, come top in BMO, gold medals etc etc. from all over the world. Every candidate is ranked and while your grades are good, they are not going to put you at the top of the pile. I would expect every single candidate applying for Maths at Trinity to have 3-4 A star predictions, so then it becomes a question of what distinguishes them from each other.
Maths GCSE is taken by every school pupil in the UK - many of those people have no interest or talent in Maths and therefore achieving a 9 is not *that* hard if Maths is your "thing" ie the grade boundary is relatively low. Many of the applicants to Trinity will have near perfect scores from their GCSE. Basically you've given them a reason to rank you lower than a large majority of candidates. It's unfortunate that you weren't advised better - for instance by applying to Oxford where you could prove that your ability in Maths now is far better than it was at GCSE by doing outstandingly well on the MAT or at least by applying to a less competitive college.
If you do get S, S in STEP then go for it again, but otherwise I would take some time to reflect on your options and look at the many other great universities out there that offer outstanding Maths degrees.
Original post by rudyard
I'm afraid that an 8 in Maths GCSE is your answer. You chose to apply to the "top" college for Maths - it's incredibly over-subscribed and there are limited numbers of interview places. You will have been competing against candidates who have competed in IMO, come top in BMO, gold medals etc etc. from all over the world. Every candidate is ranked and while your grades are good, they are not going to put you at the top of the pile. I would expect every single candidate applying for Maths at Trinity to have 3-4 A star predictions, so then it becomes a question of what distinguishes them from each other.
Maths GCSE is taken by every school pupil in the UK - many of those people have no interest or talent in Maths and therefore achieving a 9 is not *that* hard if Maths is your "thing" ie the grade boundary is relatively low. Many of the applicants to Trinity will have near perfect scores from their GCSE. Basically you've given them a reason to rank you lower than a large majority of candidates. It's unfortunate that you weren't advised better - for instance by applying to Oxford where you could prove that your ability in Maths now is far better than it was at GCSE by doing outstandingly well on the MAT or at least by applying to a less competitive college.
If you do get S, S in STEP then go for it again, but otherwise I would take some time to reflect on your options and look at the many other great universities out there that offer outstanding Maths degrees.

The application process at Cambridge is holistic, they take all aspects of the application into account and not just one can let you down.
Original post by Philosopher2020
Yes but the priority is getting into Cambridge. Whichever College you end up in really doesn’t matter in terms of future prospects. I am just saying I would’ve strategise differently.

This information is readily and easily available on Cambridge website. See attached screenshot for an example... comparing Trinity with Churchill for Mathematics.

The link is: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics

The Cambridge admissions process is designed that applying to any college gives you an equal opportunity of getting in. If Trinity thought I would have had a good chance at another college,I would have gotten an interview and been pooled.
Certainly double check with the college that it hasn't been an error.

However, in my opinion, it would seem entirely reasonable for Trinity, Cambridge to reject someone pre-interview who didn't achieve the top grade in GCSE Maths.
Reply 78
The application process at Cambridge is holistic, they take all aspects of the application into account and not just one can let you down.

Surely it's the very fact that they take all aspects of the application into account that means that just one could let you down?

Everyone is going to have a minimum A*A*A predicted at A level because that's the minimum offer condition for STEM courses at Cambridge, So when filtering down the masses of applicants into a pool of interviewees they;re going to be considering things like: GCSE profile (subjects, A*s, maths result etc), competition experience and results, super-curricular interests and achievements, and so on.

I really think you need to move on from this now. You've started this thread saying you can't figure out why you didn't get an interview, but whenever someone posts on here to say "have you considered X might be a factor" you immediately push back with "well I've heard that X isn't a factor". You seem unwilling to accept any reasoning that doesn't meet your expectation that you should have got an interview.

The bottom line here is that Trinity is going to be facing way more applicants than interview places this year, probably a lot more than any previous year, so they're going to need to make some pretty harsh decisions to get that interview pool down to a manageable size. Your focus now needs to be a strategy for the future. This could be a) focus on your other 2021 applications, b) achieve A*A*A* + SS at A level and STEP and risk a Cambridge reapplication, c) something else.

(I'll throw in an analogy here: I'm currently getting vacancy notifications on email from an agency I registered with years ago. Many of these vacancy summaries end with the phrase "Owing to the volume of applicants at present we will only be submitting a maximum of 5 applications for this job". Now I could be the best qualified applicant on paper, but if I don't pick up the email at the right time, or if I'm a bit slow getting my application sorted out, then I'm out of the running. It's no good me going to an internet forum and saying "I can't work out why I didn't get an interview". This is something you're probably going to experience at some point in your job-hunting phase in the future, so it's best that you don't dwell on things like this in an academic context and read too much into them.)

Good luck with your future plans :smile:

Hi again, you are right that the Cambridge admission process is supposed to be holistic. But when you are applying to the most over subscribed and competitive college for Maths at Cambridge, however holistic the process might be and how ever competitive your application might appear on paper can still not be enough for you to get shortlisted for interview. For 2020 entry Trinity got 331 applicants for maths and 58 were made direct offers and 43 pooled. That’s mean 101/331 were considered suitable for Cambridge admission. How many of the 43 that been pooled who eventually got an offer I do not know. Those 331 applicants are from both UK and around the world and a large majority will be the most competitive applicants around and the competition will be unbelievably fierce. It will be interesting to know what is the percentage of applicants have been interviewed this year.
Try to get your best grades and apply to another college next year would be my advice. All the best!

Latest

Trending

Trending