The Student Room Group

shaking and shivering after alcohol consumption

I'm not a regular drinker, I only drink once a week with my flatmates. I do drink quite a bit, 3-5 glasses of rum and coke but like an hour after, i will start shaking, shivering and it is very uncomfortable and difficult to sleep. should it be something i should be worried about??
Its probably because you haven't drank alcohol much before so you're not used to it/not developed a tolerance to it. If I drank 5 glasses of rum and coke I would be feeling drunk lol because I haven't got a very high alcohol tolerance. Other than the shaking and shivering did you enjoy it though?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Its probably because you haven't drank alcohol much before so you're not used to it/not developed a tolerance to it. If I drank 5 glasses of rum and coke I would be feeling drunk lol because I haven't got a very high alcohol tolerance. Other than the shaking and shivering did you enjoy it though?

Yeah I don't drink that often tbh. Halloween this year was the first time I've consumed alcohol in a year and I threw up that night after almost finishing a bottle of rum. Now it is a weekly thing. Normally, I'd get proper drunk after 5 glasses as well but now i feel completely fine, but i have these shakes and shivers which i cant control but ye it was fun!
Original post by Swasher3790
Yeah I don't drink that often tbh. Halloween this year was the first time I've consumed alcohol in a year and I threw up that night after almost finishing a bottle of rum. Now it is a weekly thing. Normally, I'd get proper drunk after 5 glasses as well but now i feel completely fine, but i have these shakes and shivers which i cant control but ye it was fun!

Did you eat before drinking? How much do you drink each week? If it gets worse maybe go to your doctor.
Reply 4
Did you eat before drinking? How much do you drink each week? If it gets worse maybe go to your doctor.

yeah i ate before. but ye, only on a saturday each week, that's it so it's not like i drink regularly. i guess i do drink a decent about but everything online regarding tremors from alcohol means youre a heavy drinker and im far from that but i guess it is what it is.
yeah i ate before. but ye, only on a saturday each week, that's it so it's not like i drink regularly. i guess i do drink a decent about but everything online regarding tremors from alcohol means youre a heavy drinker and im far from that but i guess it is what it is.

I think your body just isn't used to it. 3-5 glasses of rum and coke each week is not that much but hopefully you will build up a tolerance to it over time and then shakes/shivers will go. Have you tried any other drinks - beer, cider, wine and vodka mixers? You may prefer/tolerate certain drinks more than others but great if you enjoy rum.
Reply 6
I think your body just isn't used to it. 3-5 glasses of rum and coke each week is not that much but hopefully you will build up a tolerance to it over time and then shakes/shivers will go. Have you tried any other drinks - beer, cider, wine and vodka mixers? You may prefer/tolerate certain drinks more than others but great if you enjoy rum.

yeah that makes sense but ye nah, it's mostly just been different flavours of rum. might try something different next time. thanks for the replies!
I'm not a regular drinker, I only drink once a week with my flatmates. I do drink quite a bit, 3-5 glasses of rum and coke but like an hour after, i will start shaking, shivering and it is very uncomfortable and difficult to sleep. should it be something i should be worried about??

Alcohol can make your blood sugar drop so it could be that
Reply 8
Alcohol can make your blood sugar drop so it could be that

Wouldnt the fact they're drinking it with coke, basically liquid sugar, go against that idea?
Original post by Napp
Wouldnt the fact they're drinking it with coke, basically liquid sugar, go against that idea?

no
Reply 10
no

Uhuh..
Original post by Napp
Uhuh..

perhaps google what effect alcohol has on blood sugar and glycogen release
Reply 12
perhaps google what effect alcohol has on blood sugar and glycogen release

I'm good thanks.
Original post by Napp
I'm good thanks.

you do you. I'm right though.
Reply 14
you do you. I'm right though.

Of course you, thats why you need to make your comments whilst abusing the anon function?
Just a thought. Do you habitually drink that much cola? Is it the caffeine in the cola giving you the shakes?
Original post by Napp
Of course you, thats why you need to make your comments whilst abusing the anon function?

wanting anonymity does not make me wrong
Its likely because your not used to it, and you get a withdrawal afterwards. I struggle to sleep after having alcohol. If ive had one too many I get the spinning room ride and cant sleep. And one other thing when drinking is pace yourself. if your having 3-5 in an hour, perhaps have 2 in an hour, and maybe something a little different? Some drinks sit badly on people. My friend and jagerbombs, they dont mix lol.
Reply 18
wanting anonymity does not make me wrong

No, your thinking that coke wont effect blood sugar makes you wrong. Your abusing anon is just odd.
Original post by Napp
No, your thinking that coke wont effect blood sugar makes you wrong. Your abusing anon is just odd.

Yes, it causes a short-term spike in blood sugar levels. Alcohol causes low blood sugar after some time. Like I said, google it.

So I'm odd, what's it to you?

Quick Reply

Latest