The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Working while studying

Hello! I've received an offer to study at the university of surrey , the
5G and Future Generation Communication Systems MSc course. Meanwhile I've received a job offer which is a full-time job. I want to do both. Anyone think this is possible? Thank you!
Is the course at Surrey part time or full time?
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Reply 2
Original post by lilbabypenguin
Is the course at Surrey part time or full time?

Full time! I hope I can do both.... What do you think?
Were you studying it?
Original post by Anonymous
Full time! I hope I can do both.... What do you think?
Were you studying it?

No I’m not studying at all. But it’s impossible for you to do a full time job AND a degree. Unless the job is night shift, but then again you would be absolutely exhausted. I’m assuming by full time job you mean 37.5 hours a week?
Reply 4
Original post by lilbabypenguin
No I’m not studying at all. But it’s impossible for you to do a full time job AND a degree. Unless the job is night shift, but then again you would be absolutely exhausted. I’m assuming by full time job you mean 37.5 hours a week?

And if it is a remote job? or a part time job? I really need to do a job while studying....
And if it is a remote job? or a part time job? I really need to do a job while studying....

Yeah a remote or part time job is doable :smile:
Reply 6

What will your financial situation be?

What kind of job have you been offered?
5G and Future Generation Communication Systems MSc course. Meanwhile I've received a job offer which is a full-time job. I want to do both. Anyone think this is possible? Thank you!

Hi there,

Congratulations on receiving an offer from Surrey! The course you want to study sounds very interesting :smile:

I would suggest that a full-time degree and full-time job would be very difficult to manage, you will probably end up burning yourself out with lots of work to do and making yourself ill over the stress. If you want to go to university and would like a job, maybe you could look into finding a part-time job or a job as a Student Ambassador where you can choose your hours and its completely flexible.

At the end of the day its down to you, and you need to think about whether its something you can physically and mentally handle at the same time. If it isn't then maybe look at the alternatives for example, go to uni and get a part-time job or decide not to go to uni and take the full-time job. It's a decision that isn't going to come easy, so it may take some time to think of what is best for you to do, but you will soon reach a decision and everything will work out the way it should!

I hope this helps :smile:

Becca (2nd Year Psychology Student)
(edited 3 years ago)

Hey,

I currently work full time and study but my Masters course is all done via distance learning so is all online meaning I can fit my studies around my work. I must admit it is hard going and sometimes I spend my whole weekend at my laptop because I have not had the time during the evenings to do any work due to other commitments. However it is great if you want to change your career but cannot afford to stop working.

Abigail
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending