The Student Room Group

Is continuing with 4 a levels hard to manage in year 13.

Is continuing with 4 a levels hard to manage in year 13. Would love a response from someone of experience as well as those who stayed put with 3 a levels.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by runescaper123
Is continuing with 4 a levels hard to manage in year 13. Would love a response from someone of experience as well as those who stayed put with 3 a levels.

It depends on your subjects and work ethic, but yes, in my experience it all steps up considerably in Year 13 compared to Year 12. I took Additional Maths FSMQ in Year 11, which is essentially AS, so in some ways, although I had the workload of 4 A Levels in Year 12, it was really not too bad because a lot of the Maths AS content was familiar. However, Year 13 the content and workload stepped up significantly; for me, the jump from Year 12 to Year 13 was bigger than the jump from Year 11 to Year 12 I think. In Year 13, you also have to juggle a Uni application too, which can take over your life a bit! Overall, I’d say doing 4 full A Levels is manageable, but only if you genuinely enjoy all 4 subjects, are willing to work incredibly hard, and if you cope with 4 pretty well at AS. If you struggle in Year 12, then I’d say drop the fourth and aim to get three great grades rather than 4 mediocre ones, but otherwise if you love all 4 and have good time management, there’s nothing wrong with continuing all 4 and seeing how things go. Good luck!

Hi @runescaper123!

Just a few questions first: what year are you in? What are the subjects? And how are you performing in them currently? If you're in year 12 and you currently really enjoy them and are preforming well then I think you will be fine as long as you keep on top of the work load and as well as you cope well with stress as it will be quite stressful. If you are currently in year 11 then I'd say start year 12 and see how you get on. Also if this is the case, you will need to keep on top of work right from the beginning of year 12 so you cope well with balancing all subjects.

Hope this helps!

Erin - Official Student Rep :smile:
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi @runescaper123!

Just a few questions first: what year are you in? What are the subjects? And how are you performing in them currently? If you're in year 12 and you currently really enjoy them and are preforming well then I think you will be fine as long as you keep on top of the work load and as well as you cope well with stress as it will be quite stressful. If you are currently in year 11 then I'd say start year 12 and see how you get on. Also if this is the case, you will need to keep on top of work right from the beginning of year 12 so you cope well with balancing all subjects.

Hope this helps!

Erin - Official Student Rep :smile:

Hi Thanks for your reply. I am in year 12 and I am currently taking biology, chemistry, maths and english lit. I have been performing well in mocks I got A A B B and was coping with the stress and work load
Original post by Mona123456
It depends on your subjects and work ethic, but yes, in my experience it all steps up considerably in Year 13 compared to Year 12. I took Additional Maths FSMQ in Year 11, which is essentially AS, so in some ways, although I had the workload of 4 A Levels in Year 12, it was really not too bad because a lot of the Maths AS content was familiar. However, Year 13 the content and workload stepped up significantly; for me, the jump from Year 12 to Year 13 was bigger than the jump from Year 11 to Year 12 I think. In Year 13, you also have to juggle a Uni application too, which can take over your life a bit! Overall, I’d say doing 4 full A Levels is manageable, but only if you genuinely enjoy all 4 subjects, are willing to work incredibly hard, and if you cope with 4 pretty well at AS. If you struggle in Year 12, then I’d say drop the fourth and aim to get three great grades rather than 4 mediocre ones, but otherwise if you love all 4 and have good time management, there’s nothing wrong with continuing all 4 and seeing how things go. Good luck!

Ah thanks for your reply much appreciated!

heyyy, ive been wanting to ask the same thing.

do you know what you want to study at university (and therefore know which are essential to keep if u were to drop one)?
Original post by Mona123456

This response is amazing!! did you keep all 4??
Reply 7
Hi there,

I've seen many different students and have myself experienced different things when it came to this. I was doing 5 A levels Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology in Year 12 on too of Olympiads, extra competitions and lots of extra reading as well as sports If we place whether or not it's advantageous aside which is a whole another conversation, it really depends on the person on whether or not it's hard!

I had 5 A* predicted grades but I later dropped Biology so I was down to 4 A levels as I wanted to prepare for my uni admissions tests and not have any regrets from taking a 5th a level which would compete for my time. I personally found 4 to be a huge weight off my shoulders and 5 to be a fun challenge, in hindsight it may or may not have been wise to have kept the 5th.

3,4,5, or even 6 A levels is all possible and have seen it done well before but it's a all a matter on you personally, how much time it takes you, the grades you're getting in them, uni application time, and also subjects! Many essay heavy subjects or coursework heavy subjects may take much more time physically get through the week!

Best of luck with it all! Only you can truly decide if you find it hard! feel free to DM for any specific details!
Original post by blueham1
This response is amazing!! did you keep all 4??

Yes, I did :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest