The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

Social work Application: wrong course

Hi my friend has applied for Social Work at Nottingham Trent however she's received an offer for health and social care instead. It's got a different UCAS code and the university have not said she's been rejected from the course she applied to. I was under the impression the university had to reject your application to the course and then offer you the alternative so could this be a mistake? Has anyone else experienced this?
Reply 1
Original post by turkeydinosaur16
Hi my friend has applied for Social Work at Nottingham Trent however she's received an offer for health and social care instead. It's got a different UCAS code and the university have not said she's been rejected from the course she applied to. I was under the impression the university had to reject your application to the course and then offer you the alternative so could this be a mistake? Has anyone else experienced this?

I haven't had this but these problems are usually fixed very easily by both calling and emailing admissions. In the email quote your UCAS number and usually you get an applicant ID or student number of some sort when you get an offer from a uni, quote this too. Also quote the name and course code of the subject you applied to and the one they gave you. This should speed the process up. It was probably an administrative error. All the best !
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by ziggy03
I haven't had this but these problems are usually fixed very easily by both calling and emailing admissions. In the email quote your UCAS number and usually you get an applicant ID or student number of some sort when you get an offer from a uni, quote this too. Also quote the name and course code of the subject you applied to and the one they gave you. This should speed the process up. It was probably an administrative error. All the best !

Thank you I'll tell her now! I just didn't know if this was something easily messed up by unis or whether it meant something else for her
Reply 3
Thank you I'll tell her now! I just didn't know if this was something easily messed up by unis or whether it meant something else for her

A lot of admissions departments are working from home to efficient admin is compromised, probably just a human error!
Original post by ziggy03
A lot of admissions departments are working from home to efficient admin is compromised, probably just a human error!

Thank you :smile:
Every Uni does this differently - some ask you first if you'd like an offer on anther course, others just do it.
They do it it because a) its kinder than just NO, b) you might say yes to the other course.

There is no point in calling the Uni - what do you want them to say? They certainly aren't going to say 'You didnt want an alternative offer? We were only joking, we'll make you an offer for the original course.' That is not going to happen.

They are not forcing you to accept this course - when you have all your decisions from all your Unis, you can Firm/Insurance/Reject this offer as with any other.
Your friend could call the uni for clarification. It may be an error. However, it’s more likely that she has been rejected for Social Work and has been offered an alternative, so just prepare her for that before she calls.
Reply 7

This happened to my friend at another uni she applied for paramedic science and they rejected her but said they will find a suitable course for her and her track updated with an offer for biology. Chances are it’s not a mistake it’s just she didn’t get onto the course and they’re deciding not to outright reject her but offer her an alternative. As others said you can call be make sure she is prepared for the probable answer
Original post by Tashax2
This happened to my friend at another uni she applied for paramedic science and they rejected her but said they will find a suitable course for her and her track updated with an offer for biology. Chances are it’s not a mistake it’s just she didn’t get onto the course and they’re deciding not to outright reject her but offer her an alternative. As others said you can call be make sure she is prepared for the probable answer

That's been my concern. My only reservation is that she says the university have not rejected her from the course she applied to. She's been given this offer without clarification as to the course she applied to as it doesn't say she's been rejected
Reply 9
That's been my concern. My only reservation is that she says the university have not rejected her from the course she applied to. She's been given this offer without clarification as to the course she applied to as it doesn't say she's been rejected

Yes in that case she should call up admissions- having had to call NTU for a course change they’re very fast and explain well , it may be an error but it’s very unlikely however as she hasn’t had a direct rejection it’s best to call unless in the letter on ucas track says anything about it

I would just email the university for clarification as to if they are no longer being considered for the original course or not.

Also I'll move this post to the Trent uni forum in case anyone else has had a similar experience.
Original post by mnot
I would just email the university for clarification as to if they are no longer being considered for the original course or not.

Also I'll move this post to the Trent uni forum in case anyone else has had a similar experience.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 12
Exact same for my daughter. She received an offer for health and social care yesterday from NTU, she applied for Paramedic Science.

Further info: the day after the ucas notification my daughter received 3 emails from NTU. one of them set out yet another course option with possibility of moving on to year 2 of the paramedic course. Am now looking into how this might be financed and all the ins and outs as have never heard of a certificate of higher education before.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending