The Student Room Group

Biden becomes 46th president

Scroll to see replies

I for one am interested to know what Trump wrote in the letter

D6629927-181B-4598-831F-169FA730DCD7.jpg.jpeg

For Biden to speak positively of Trump at all is extremely rare so it must’ve been good
Original post by jackmarshal757
And the American people chose Biden, I definitely agree with you

Why did Black Lives Matter on the whole support Biden? I don't think and maybe I am wrong here, but I don't believe it was just driven by an anything is better than trump type centiment.
I suppose if you view white people in as being split between a binary of racist and antiracist. Every white person is by default racist and to gain the status of anti-racist they must pick apart their inherent racist culture, perhaps previous acts of racism become irrelevant because they where already a given.

@TheStarboy do you have any thoughts on this?
(edited 3 years ago)
America holds the highest position on the world stage

That is China.
Original post by glassalice
Why did Black Lives Matter on the whole support Biden? I don't think and maybe I am wrong here, but I don't believe it was just driven by an anything is better than trump type centiment.
I suppose if you view white people in as being split between a binary of racist and antiracist. Every white person is by default racist and to gain the status of anti-racist they must pick apart their inherent racist culture, perhaps previous acts of racism become irrelevant because they where already a given.

They supported Biden because they thought he wasn’t a racist like Trump, yet it’s clear now Biden and Kamala were just using them for extra votes
Original post by Wired_1800
That is China.

True, I forgot about that.

The world depends on China for its manufacturing, yet that’s because of its exploitation and brute rule of its people
(edited 3 years ago)

The world depends on China for its manufacturing, yet that’s because of its exploitation and brute rule of its people

China is at the apex of world governance. It is taking the West some time to accept it.
They supported Biden because they thought he wasn’t a racist like Trump, yet it’s clear now Biden and Kamala were just using them for extra votes

Bidens historic voting record and support for school segregation is no secret. I think it is more complicated than simply that.

China will is a one party state, they only have token elections. Nothing much to report on, same old, same old.

Their stance is a lot more complicated than putting people in catergoies. On paper, the movement is anti government and has criticised Biden (and to the extent, the Democratic Party) for refusing to address the rise in corporatism in modern politics and the lack of genuine policies, ignoring the aims of black peoole (and to the extension, working class). The whole ‘white people are racist’ thing is an issue of modern liberalism. Simply a sign of confusing and often misleading paraphrasing.

Historically, they are anti-racist through demonstrating how racism is used by the higher class people to dividing the working class hence they are more United together.
Original post by TheStarboy
Their stance is a lot more complicated than putting people in catergoies. On paper, the movement is anti government and has criticised Biden (and to the extent, the Democratic Party) for refusing to address the rise in corporatism in modern politics and the lack of genuine policies, ignoring the aims of black peoole (and to the extension, working class). The whole ‘white people are racist’ thing is an issue of modern liberalism. Simply a sign of confusing and often misleading paraphrasing.

Historically, they are anti-racist through demonstrating how racism is used by the higher class people to dividing the working class hence they are more United together.

Can you recommend any books on corpratism? I have genuinely never heard the term before.

Would you say that BLM are suffering from not having clear leader(s)? Because there seems to be so much tokenism and lack of clarity in what is widely shared across social media and discussed.

So the democrats are regarded as being antiracist because they share the same marxist under pinning as antiracism. Would that be fair to say- two branches of the same tree?
Can you recommend any books on corpratism? I have genuinely never heard the term before.

Would you say that BLM are suffering from not having clear leader(s)? Because there seems to be so much tokenism and lack of clarity in what is widely shared across social media and discussed.

So the democrats are regarded as being antiracist because they share the same marxist under pinning as antiracism. Would that be fair to say- two branches of the same tree?

I learnt about it through videos and articles but i recommend books like A Brief History of Neoliberalism by David Harvey and here's a British article on how the Tories have benefited from corporatism: https://tribunemag.co.uk/2019/10/the-tories-lobbying-bonanza
In simple terms, its an ideology that believes that society is best governed by corporate entities (essentially billionaires). It's highly debated whether China has adopted it since the 80s.

They have 'leaders' but their leaders differ from the past incarnations. Past ones were known communists or very affiliated with left-wing movements thus they were a lot more outspoken during the time where having affiliations with certain groups put you on a list. Their aims were clear and you had a sense of authority. Now it's all over the place and with aims that range from realistic to outrageous.

It's complicated. Factions of the movement refer to the democrats as ineffective and incompetent, other bigger fractions are more enthusiastic about them. The Democrats actively refused to be Marxist back in the 40s/50s. They saw the Soviet Union as their enemies so they embraced liberalism as a more effective alternative. Nowadays, they're still against Marxism as a whole so their brand of anti-racism lacks any substance other than being a form of performative activism.
Reply 30
Why?

It's important for understanding the nature of the "special relationship" between the USA and the UK. Some uncertainty as to how distant Biden will be, but it's clear that in many ways politics is starting to turn towards the radical centre and away from experimentation. There's an old saying that whenever America sneezes, the whole world catches a cold and in many ways, the Trump agenda of 'America First' was highly detrimental to the worldwide effort to combat COVID 19. Many Brits love American culture and I guess a relatable President at the top influences people to ride the wave of euphoria against someone who is seen to be unrepresentative of the small c conservative but socially liberal country we are.
Hmmm probably.
It's also bizarre though how Biden has been characterised as such a bastian of light by the media.
Biden was a supporter of segregation in schools, given this was a long time ago and people's political opinions do evolve over time, however during his election campaign he was caught out making statements to the effect of 'if you're really black, you will vote for me'.

One could argue that this was just a gaf, ill thought out and doesn't really hold any meaning. However, if Biden did believe this, it says a lot, MalcolmX X once said that 'the white liberal is the worst enemy to America, and the worst enemy to the black man'.
https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/8869214-the-white-liberal-is-the-worst-enemy-to-america-and
I don't believe that Biden historically has a great track record on upholding LGBT rights either.

From an outside perspective the election looked more like a choice between bad and badder, rather than between the angel of the oppressed and the oppresser.

wow it's almost like two party systems between two right wing parties are bad
you've figured it out
absolutely cracked the code
most news sites are for moderate democrats so obviously they're going to praise biden
Original post by 64Lightbulbs
wow it's almost like two party systems between two right wing parties are bad
you've figured it out
absolutely cracked the code

most news sites are for moderate democrats so obviously they're going to praise biden

No need for that.
Original post by 64Lightbulbs

So moderate democrats do not wish to hold politicians to account for their actions?
So moderate democrats do not wish to hold politicians to account for their actions?

it's ****ed up but no, they mostly don't care.
No need for that.

yeah, alright
Original post by TheStarboy
I learnt about it through videos and articles but i recommend books like A Brief History of Neoliberalism by David Harvey and here's a British article on how the Tories have benefited from corporatism: https://tribunemag.co.uk/2019/10/the-tories-lobbying-bonanza
In simple terms, its an ideology that believes that society is best governed by corporate entities (essentially billionaires). It's highly debated whether China has adopted it since the 80s.

They have 'leaders' but their leaders differ from the past incarnations. Past ones were known communists or very affiliated with left-wing movements thus they were a lot more outspoken during the time where having affiliations with certain groups put you on a list. Their aims were clear and you had a sense of authority. Now it's all over the place and with aims that range from realistic to outrageous.

It's complicated. Factions of the movement refer to the democrats as ineffective and incompetent, other bigger fractions are more enthusiastic about them. The Democrats actively refused to be Marxist back in the 40s/50s. They saw the Soviet Union as their enemies so they embraced liberalism as a more effective alternative. Nowadays, they're still against Marxism as a whole so their brand of anti-racism lacks any substance other than being a form of performative activism.

So are you essentially saying that for someone to be anti racist they must also be Marxist?

Also let’s not forget how Labour have also massively benefited from corporatism too
(edited 3 years ago)
I suppose if you view white people in as being split between a binary of racist and antiracist. Every white person is by default racist and to gain the status of anti-racist they must pick apart their inherent racist culture, perhaps previous acts of racism become irrelevant because they wherei already a given.

The idea that either BLM or Antifa for example supported Biden is incorrect. The fact that we’ve seen a continuation of the status quo in America, and the looting and smashing of businesses continue in places like Portland is testament to that.
Economy: Biden won't be able to push through his $2 trillion budget without moving hell and earth, but he might be able to push through around half of that budget using legal loopholes. He will be presiding over one year of the pandemic at least and the recovery will take another two to three years, so most of the presidency will be hard for him.

International relations: I am not quite sure that being friendly with China is a good thing in terms of electoral support and geopolitics, but it needs to be said that China will be a unmissable power post-pandemic. India and much of Asia probably benefited from the more aggressive politics of Trump, so it will need to be seen whether Biden has what it takes to follow in Trump's footsteps. Biden has a few positive points in that he believes in an interventionist US, so we will most likely see more military action against rogue governments in the Middle East for example. It will be interesting if Biden can overlook his core left-wing voter base to improve relations with the Indian community.

Immigration: I think this is actually his achilleic heel. He won't be able to open up the borders and support immigration without endangering citizens, a sort of an own goal. He will also preside over one of the worst economies in US history, so immigrants will not have any jobs and there will be more caravans/refugees from Latin America soon as well. The Arab Spring (which was what set off the Migration Crisis) was economic at its core and this current pandemic is going to cause one of the biggest economic crises the world has seen, so expect much more turmoil and migration from the Middle East.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending