The Student Room Group

3 or 4 A levels?

Which is the better option? I'm a hard worker with good grades but I don't want to feel overloaded with work. I have 5 possible choices but I'm struggling to narrow them down.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Universities only look at the 3 A Levels so there's no point in doing 4 but it's your choice. I'm finding 3 A Levels a lot of hard work. It's better to have 3 good a levels than 4 not as good ones. Hope this helped!
3 is all you need - and 3 excellent ones is better than 4 that are not quite as good.
Original post by Mollie~
Universities only look at the 3 A Levels so there's no point in doing 4 but it's your choice. I'm finding 3 A Levels a lot of hard work. It's better to have 3 good a levels than 4 not as good ones. Hope this helped!

Thanks. If you don't mind, which are you doing?
do 3 or 4
Honestly doing a 4th A-level is not as much additional effort as it first appears, even if your subjects aren't that interlinked. I'd suggest starting with 4: If it's too much work, your college should allow you to drop a subject at any time. Therefore you risk very little by taking it on and if you genuinely wish to continue all 4, then that option is still open to you.
Reply 6
Original post by astraeako
Thanks. If you don't mind, which are you doing?

I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and Maths. What A Levels are you thinking of doing ?
Original post by Possibly this
Honestly doing a 4th A-level is not as much additional effort as it first appears, even if your subjects aren't that interlinked. I'd suggest starting with 4: If it's too much work, your college should allow you to drop a subject at any time. Therefore you risk very little by taking it on and if you genuinely wish to continue all 4, then that option is still open to you.

Thanks, I think I'll probably try this.
Original post by Mollie~
I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and Maths. What A Levels are you thinking of doing ?

I'm thinking of Computer Science, Maths and French with either Photography or English Language as the 4th, but not too sure ^^
Which is the better option? I'm a hard worker with good grades but I don't want to feel overloaded with work. I have 5 possible choices but I'm struggling to narrow them down.

Hi! @astraeako

I did 4 A levels at the beginning of college (Law, Biology, Geography and Psychology) and I ended up dropping Biology as I found it difficult to do all 4 and manage my time. Once I dropped biology I started to do a lot better in my other subjects. However, I did know people who copped alright, they just had less free time.
Maybe ask the teachers what you would learn in each subject and this might help decide what subjects to choose, as you might find there is something you really would like to study. Also, I found having such different subjects useful so I could flit between the work and didn't get bored with them if you see what I mean.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
Reply 10
I took 4 subjects and it is manageable especially if you really love all your subjects. It's not necessary and depending on the subjects can make your life a lot more difficult but I found it much more enjoyable.

Absolutely no advantage in doing 4 A levels. Universities will ignore anything more than 3. They won't consider it impressive and they certainly won't give you any extra points. If anything, it'll just show that you're indecisive.

If you're interested in another course, read about it in your spare time. That would actually be so much more impressive on a personal statement or interview as it would display your ability to independently pursue interests in your spare time (as many adults do with stuff like coding, foreign languages or current events upkeep).

If given the opportunity and you find that you're coping well with 3 A levels, you could take on an EPQ as well. :hat2:
Original post by Possibly this

Most schools only allow 3 - unless Maths/FMaths is included.
Reply 13
Original post by Quick-use
Absolutely no advantage in doing 4 A levels. Universities will ignore anything more than 3. They won't consider it impressive and they certainly won't give you any extra points. If anything, it'll just show that you're indecisive.

If you're interested in another course, read about it in your spare time. That would actually be so much more impressive on a personal statement or interview as it would display your ability to independently pursue interests in your spare time (as many adults do with stuff like coding, foreign languages or current events upkeep).

If given the opportunity and you find that you're coping well with 3 A levels, you could take on an EPQ as well. :hat2:

Why would taking 4 subjects show that you're indecisive?
Original post by becauseimz
Why would taking 4 subjects show that you're indecisive?

Taking anything more than 3 is completely superfluous and suggests that you're not able to focus your time and efforts on other aspects that could help develop your non-academic skills. In other words, you could be doing extra-curriculars, volunteering, pursuing your hobbies, reading more into your desired subject area etc. These are all things necessary to strive within a university setting and beyond.
Original post by Quick-use

Doubt it, some people just have broad interests and might take an unrelated A-level on the side.
Would not say there's zero advantage to take 4, unless you view it solely in terms of getting university offers.

Most people seem to disagree but imho if you're unsure as to choices and your school will let you do 4 and drop one, I'd say do 4. Better wasted effort than regret over having chosen the wrong subjects. Doing just 3 gives you no room for changing your mind, past a point. There are always people on here regretting a particular A-level but being a bit stuck because they're only doing 3.

As long as you don't spread yourself too thinly - a fourth A-level can provide a good safety net if you have a bad day with one of your subjects.

It's very individual and pretty much up to you.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi! @astraeako

I did 4 A levels at the beginning of college (Law, Biology, Geography and Psychology) and I ended up dropping Biology as I found it difficult to do all 4 and manage my time. Once I dropped biology I started to do a lot better in my other subjects. However, I did know people who copped alright, they just had less free time.
Maybe ask the teachers what you would learn in each subject and this might help decide what subjects to choose, as you might find there is something you really would like to study. Also, I found having such different subjects useful so I could flit between the work and didn't get bored with them if you see what I mean.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:

If you dont mind, what degree did you do?
I'm currently doing 4 A-Levels and an EPQ. I didn't struggle with the workload in year 12, and not particularly in year 13. The roughest time was mock exam week which also clashed with Uni interviews. However, I think any sane person would struggle to try to juggle mock exams and interviews. Though you do have to go in with the mindset that you will do more work than anyone else, and you have to be accepting of that.

I have really enjoyed doing more subjects as it has allowed me to develop the foundation to read around my interests from multiple perspectives. It's allowed me to look scientifically, mathematically and socially at issues in my further reading and for that I am grateful. Instead of keeping me defined to one spectrum/idea. It allowed me to really consider deep thought.

It has also given me the work ethic to want to write an academic paper in the summer based on one of my interests.

Though 4 A-Levels isn't for the faint-hearted, though back in the day everyone started with 4. So it's definitely not impossible. If you can do well in all 4 A-Levels then the university will be impressed that you can manage your workload, and even more impressed if your personal statement shows further reading because of this. :smile:

Most people will tell you not to do it though, and many of your teachers will be unconvinced unless you can prove them wrong.

Spoiler

I did not read what other people suggested, but definitely take 3. Having 4 is useless in 99% of cases.
The only exception I can imagine is Economics at LSE, where FM is "recommended" (required in reality) as 4th (3rd could also be accepted) A-level. Other than that - no need.

I understand your willingness to take more workload to prove that you can do it, but it doesn't worth it. If you find yourself in a place where 3 A-levels ain't enough for your academic curiosity, great! You now have time to go after your passion, develop a new hobby or just spend time upgrading your social skills (I recommend the latest very very much). Doing 4 A-levels will not put you into any sort of advantage, but will cause you, perhaps, a lot more stress, workload and less time to spend on yourself.

I started of with 3 subjects at AS, and took Further Maths as 4th in January, catching up all of it by myself. Ended up having 95%+ in all papers across all 4 subjects. I didn't struggle to do it much, it came rather natural. I still dropped one of the subjects and ended up having 3 A*. I would have definitely gotten 4A* if I decided to keep my 4th subject, and I can't tell you how happy I am I dropped it. I had so much more time for myself, for friends and hobbies. I had greatest year of my life.

All in all, f*ck 4 A-levels, have some fun.

Quick Reply

Latest