The Student Room Group

‘Without the First World War, there would have been no Bolshevik Revolution.’

‘Without the First World War, there would have been no Bolshevik
Revolution.’ How far do you agree with this view?
-I just need point for and against
For: it was the Bolsheviks who wanted to take Russia out of the war, whereas the previous revolutionary government (I can't remember its name) wanted to keep Russia in the war. Most of the population wanted out of the war, hence the increased support for the Bolsheviks.

Against: The Bolsheviks were already quite popular after the failings of the Tsarist government, so it's quite possible that they would have been able to take control regardless
Reply 2
Mmm counterfactuals are always a tricky one. Suffice it to say, without WWI the proximate cause for a violent revolution would have been lacking, as the other user noted; the continuation of the war effort being the impetus for the Bolsheviks. That being said, the structural factors were all still there. Whether without WWI the revolution would have been quite so horrific is debatable but in ones view it could well have happened either way - although Lenin being used as a German weapon was certainly novel.
Reply 3
Original post by Napp
Mmm counterfactuals are always a tricky one. Suffice it to say, without WWI the proximate cause for a violent revolution would have been lacking, as the other user noted; the continuation of the war effort being the impetus for the Bolsheviks. That being said, the structural factors were all still there. Whether without WWI the revolution would have been quite so horrific is debatable but in ones view it could well have happened either way - although Lenin being used as a German weapon was certainly novel.

thanks for the reply, is it possible for you to elaborate on 'would there have been a revolution without WW1?'
Original post by Lmcconachie
thanks for the reply, is it possible for you to elaborate on 'would there have been a revolution without WW1?'

Yet another attempt to get someone else to do your homework for you???
Reply 5

In ones view, yes. It was inevitable as a follow on from the 05 'revolution'. The country was deeply unequal with peasants still living in quasi-slavery and eking out a living that most would associate with a deprived central African state as opposed to a nominal great power of Europe at the time. Such egregious differences in wealth and social status/opportunities for advancement tend to invite violent revolt eventually.
WWI merely deepened, exposed and accelerated long standing problems in Russian society at the time.
If memory serves the book by Figues called 'a peoples tragedy' outlines how and why a revolution was always a highly likely outcome. The fact it was the Bolsheviks that won it was merely a quirk of fate, some lucky timing and sheer bloodlust on their part.
Reply 6
Original post by Napp
In ones view, yes. It was inevitable as a follow on from the 05 'revolution'. The country was deeply unequal with peasants still living in quasi-slavery and eking out a living that most would associate with a deprived central African state as opposed to a nominal great power of Europe at the time. Such egregious differences in wealth and social status/opportunities for advancement tend to invite violent revolt eventually.
WWI merely deepened, exposed and accelerated long standing problems in Russian society at the time.
If memory serves the book by Figues called 'a peoples tragedy' outlines how and why a revolution was always a highly likely outcome. The fact it was the Bolsheviks that won it was merely a quirk of fate, some lucky timing and sheer bloodlust on their part.

thank you for the response, really appreciate it.
Reply 7
thank you for the response, really appreciate it.

Original post by Napp

thanks for the response, is there any evidence to suggest that the revolution would have occurred without the WW1?
thanks for the response, is there any evidence to suggest that the revolution would have occurred without the WW1?

Reply 9
Original post by ageshallnot

Original post by ageshallnot
Yet another attempt to get someone else to do your homework for you???

this is not my homework (honestly I wish it was though). I just want to know if there is any evidence for the fact that if ww1 hadn't happened would the Bolshevik revolution have occurred (I do history for pre-U but only Medevevil and Roman Britain, so I unfortunately don't even do the Russian revolution, although I wish I did as I love it)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending