The Student Room Group

getting into the music producing industry

Hi, I’m currently in lower sixth and two of the subjects i’m taking are music a level and music technology btec. Please read this to understand my situation: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6890682&p=93486678#post93486678
I’m just wondering if anyone already in the industry can tell me what they did at college and if music a level is actually needed and if music technology btec is enough. Thank you so much.
Hi, I'm not in the music industry full time yet as I'm on the first year of my degree, but from doing some side jobs and studying music tech modules at college and on my degree, to get a job in music tech, in live sound or in studios or whatever, qualifications aren't as important as experience, knowledge of equipment, and who you know. When I was at college, I didn't do a music a-level, I did a music level 3 course that was equivalent to 3 a levels, so I ended up with more than enough credits to do a degree. Because your btec is combined with a levels, I'm going to assume that its equivalent to one a level, so if you want to study music tech at uni, you might want to continue doing your music a-level, just so you have enough credits to do a degree, but if you're looking to go straight into the industry after sixth form, it'd be a better use of your time to spend these two years getting practice with music tech stuff by asking around local venues/music shops when they are open, and building community links with local bands and stuff, instead of doing a music a-level if you dont enjoy it :smile:
Original post by zaharawalters
Hi, I'm not in the music industry full time yet as I'm on the first year of my degree, but from doing some side jobs and studying music tech modules at college and on my degree, to get a job in music tech, in live sound or in studios or whatever, qualifications aren't as important as experience, knowledge of equipment, and who you know. When I was at college, I didn't do a music a-level, I did a music level 3 course that was equivalent to 3 a levels, so I ended up with more than enough credits to do a degree. Because your btec is combined with a levels, I'm going to assume that its equivalent to one a level, so if you want to study music tech at uni, you might want to continue doing your music a-level, just so you have enough credits to do a degree, but if you're looking to go straight into the industry after sixth form, it'd be a better use of your time to spend these two years getting practice with music tech stuff by asking around local venues/music shops when they are open, and building community links with local bands and stuff, instead of doing a music a-level if you dont enjoy it :smile:

Thank you so much! Where do you do a degree?

Quick Reply

Latest