The Student Room Group

Cancelled car insurance

Is it possible to challenge a cancelled car insurance policy or have a cancellation removed from the database?I have had a car insurance policy cancelled, however, the correspondence of the cancellation was not communicated to me. I received no emails or letters from the insurance company regarding my cancellation. I was left driving without a car insurance for 2 months, luckily my friend was getting his car insured and decided to check his policy on askmid and checked my policy too, which stated uninsured, so i contacted my car insurance straight away. Upon this, they told me they had sent the car cancellation emails to the wrong email address and that theres nothing they can do.Is it possible that i can take a legal action or have this cancellation removed from the database? Any suggestions would be helpful.Thank you
Reply 1
Why was your insurance cancelled? They wouldn't of cancelled for no reason. I doubt you can get the cancellation removed, as there will be a reason for this. As for them not notifying you, it is your responsibility to ensure you car is insured at all times. If you have accidentally gave them the wrong email address, then that is not their fault. I know you never said you gave them the wrong details, but insurers often ask you to give your email address twice to ensure it is correct.
Reply 2
Original post by Joshkav
Why was your insurance cancelled? They wouldn't of cancelled for no reason. I doubt you can get the cancellation removed, as there will be a reason for this. As for them not notifying you, it is your responsibility to ensure you car is insured at all times. If you have accidentally gave them the wrong email address, then that is not their fault. I know you never said you gave them the wrong details, but insurers often ask you to give your email address twice to ensure it is correct.

Thank you for your reply. The cancellation was due a missed payment as there was an error in setting up the direct debit, however this was resolved. And when i took the insurance policy, i verified all the details are correct such as they have the correct address and email address, which they did. When i rang and questioned the insurance company regarding the cancellation correspondence, i was told that they have sent the cancellation emails to a wrong email address, not the one i provided them, they have admitted that there has been an admin error. However, my only question is, the cancellation still stays on my record, if there any way i can challenge this and have it removed as i have all the evidence. If the insurance company had sent the cancellations to the right email address, i could have resolved the issue or cancelled the insurance myself.
Reply 3
Was the email address wrong because of an admin error? Or had you given them one that you no longer check? If it's the former, then effectively they didn't warn you that they were going to cancel, which I'd guess is illegal (I don't know the law, but if insurance companies could get away with cancelling "secretly" then lots of people would be driving around uninsured without knowing!) You probably won't be able to get the policy reinstated - they'll have their reasons for cancelling. If I were you I'd just leave it and find another policy asap.
Reply 4
Original post by Sint
Was the email address wrong because of an admin error? Or had you given them one that you no longer check? If it's the former, then effectively they didn't warn you that they were going to cancel, which I'd guess is illegal (I don't know the law, but if insurance companies could get away with cancelling "secretly" then lots of people would be driving around uninsured without knowing!) You probably won't be able to get the policy reinstated - they'll have their reasons for cancelling. If I were you I'd just leave it and find another policy asap.

There is no legal minimum term they need to give you, to notify you they are cancelling your policy, as far as I am aware. It is more of a courtesy to allow you to find alternative insurance. There have been posts on here where people have had their policies cancelled immediately.
Reply 5
Original post by Sint

The email address was correct as i was still getting emails from the insurance company regarding their other offers. I checked the email daily as i only have two email addresses. The insurance company has admitted that its an admin error, where the cancellation has been sent to the wrong email and not to the one i provided. The only issue is, because of the cancellation, my premium has risen to 3,000+ and i am not able to get insured by most main stream providers. As i have stated, i have all the evidence in terms of the correct email address being provided and all the information being correct on my policy. Its an admin error
Reply 6
Original post by Joshkav
There is no legal minimum term they need to give you, to notify you they are cancelling your policy, as far as I am aware. It is more of a courtesy to allow you to find alternative insurance. There have been posts on here where people have had their policies cancelled immediately.

I understand there is no legal requirement, however, there is a cancellation process which the company must follow. As due to their admin error, i have a cancellation on my record and its effectively costing me more because of THEIR ADMIN ERROR. Im pretty sure there is a way to review this decision or take it further, just not sure how
Reply 7
Original post by 0Jay
I understand there is no legal requirement, however, there is a cancellation process which the company must follow. As due to their admin error, i have a cancellation on my record and its effectively costing me more because of THEIR ADMIN ERROR. Im pretty sure there is a way to review this decision or take it further, just not sure how

I would be unsure in your case, as they admitted having sent the email to the wrong email address. But, the reason for the cancellation still stands. As far as they're concerned you still had you policy cancelled, as you failed to make payments. More than likely why they dismissed you when you contacted them. So the cancellation itself is legal, but them not notifying you, I am unsure of.
Reply 8
Original post by Joshkav
I would be unsure in your case, as they admitted having sent the email to the wrong email address. But, the reason for the cancellation still stands. As far as they're concerned you still had you policy cancelled, as you failed to make payments. More than likely why they dismissed you when you contacted them. So the cancellation itself is legal, but them not notifying you, I am unsure of.

Completely agree with your point as the cancellation may be regarded legal, however, if the cancellation process was followed correctly by the company, i could have resolved the issue. I do understand that its the drivers responsibility to ensure that the car is insured, thus, a driver can not be reasonably expected to check their insurance status on askmid everyday, thats why insurance companies have a cancellation process to notify the driver. But if anyone has any experience with this, please do comment as any advice would be helpful.
Reply 9
If you haven't already done so, go through the insurer's formal complaints procedure.

If that fails, I believe you can make a complaint through the Financial Ombudsman Service -- but you need to go through the insurer's complaints process first.
Original post by 0Jay
Completely agree with your point as the cancellation may be regarded legal, however, if the cancellation process was followed correctly by the company, i could have resolved the issue. I do understand that its the drivers responsibility to ensure that the car is insured, thus, a driver can not be reasonably expected to check their insurance status on askmid everyday, thats why insurance companies have a cancellation process to notify the driver. But if anyone has any experience with this, please do comment as any advice would be helpful.

I hope it works out for you. On not trying to be negative or anything. But all I am trying to say, is that if you did try legal action. If they had notified you correctly, your policy would still be cancelled and you would still need to declare that your policy was cancelled. The only thing you could fight, is that there lack of communication meant to drove for 2 months+ without insurance.

I know from what I can gather, that you would of cancelled your policy before they did, to avoid you having to declare it. But technically you are aware that your policy was to be cancelled, but there is no record of this, as you cancelled first. So from a legal point of view, whether they notified you or not, you would of still had a cancelled policy that you would have to declare. If you get what I mean.
Reply 11
Original post by Joshkav
I hope it works out for you. On not trying to be negative or anything. But all I am trying to say, is that if you did try legal action. If they had notified you correctly, your policy would still be cancelled and you would still need to declare that your policy was cancelled. The only thing you could fight, is that there lack of communication meant to drove for 2 months+ without insurance.

I know from what I can gather, that you would of cancelled your policy before they did, to avoid you having to declare it. But technically you are aware that your policy was to be cancelled, but there is no record of this, as you cancelled first. So from a legal point of view, whether they notified you or not, you would of still had a cancelled policy that you would have to declare. If you get what I mean.

Completely agree with you and i understand where youre coming from. Guess im just trying to figure out whether i have any options in challenging this cancellation. Thank you for your time, if anyone else has any information, please do comment.
Reply 12
Original post by 0Jay
Is it possible to challenge a cancelled car insurance policy or have a cancellation removed from the database?I have had a car insurance policy cancelled, however, the correspondence of the cancellation was not communicated to me. I received no emails or letters from the insurance company regarding my cancellation. I was left driving without a car insurance for 2 months, luckily my friend was getting his car insured and decided to check his policy on askmid and checked my policy too, which stated uninsured, so i contacted my car insurance straight away. Upon this, they told me they had sent the car cancellation emails to the wrong email address and that theres nothing they can do.Is it possible that i can take a legal action or have this cancellation removed from the database? Any suggestions would be helpful.Thank you

Original post by 0Jay

The only issue here is whether the policy was validly cancelled.

You say you missed a payment. Can you tell us a bit more about this?
Reply 13
I think the best bet is to ask if the cancellation can be removed explaining that due to an admin error you were not notified to put the payment right immediately. If you can’t get agreement by being persuasive then say you would like to raise a complaint in their process. If this fails you could try a complaint to ombudsman. A good insurance broker like A Plan might be able to give you some advice too. I suspect you’re not in a strong position if you stopped paying so it would be best if you can negotiate something rather than blame them.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending