The Student Room Group

Why should Britain pay reparations to her former colonies?

Scroll to see replies

Im perfectly happy to pay if it means they wont come over here.

Cant think why anybody would come over here though after the disgraceful conduct of the authorities.
Given the state of our non-dominion colonies I am inclined to believe that these decedent's should be much more grateful for the opportunities they have been afforded to here (they are wealthier than 90% of their so called compatriats) and frankly those who want reperations should go back to wherever they are choosing to identify as from.

The white liberals who support this notion are probably the worst though. Literally choosing to tax the populous for crimes not committed in their lifetimes.
Original post by Azagthoa
White working class kids still have the opportunities to succeed purely based on their race that are denied to BAME people.

If this is true, can you please tell me why white state school students are overwhelmingly less likely to proceed to higher education than black state school students? You might want to rethink which group has opportunities to succeed purely based on race, given all the of the current BAME scholarships and initiatives.
https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/education-skills-and-training/higher-education/entry-rates-into-higher-education/latest#by-ethnicity-over-time
Reply 43
Original post by -Imperator-
If this is true, can you please tell me why white state school students are overwhelmingly less likely to proceed to higher education than black state school students? You might want to rethink which group has opportunities to succeed purely based on race, given all the of the current BAME scholarships and initiatives.
https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/education-skills-and-training/higher-education/entry-rates-into-higher-education/latest#by-ethnicity-over-time

You realise your source doesn't evidence that right?

Like you do know since its UCAS data its self selecting in that it is 'of those who applied for university'.

You might well be right, but that source doesn't show it.
Original post by Quady
You realise your source doesn't evidence that right?

Like you do know since its UCAS data its self selecting in that it is 'of those who applied for university'.

You might well be right, but that source doesn't show it.

I don't quite understand what you mean. They used data from UCAS to estimate the proportion of state school students of each ethnicity proceeding to higher education - obviously UCAS tracks university admissions.
New research from Havard medical school shows that reparations would have prevented thousands of BAME deaths. There is no argument now against reparations unless you believe Black lives don't matter. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0277953621000733
New research from Havard medical school shows that reparations would have prevented thousands of BAME deaths. There is no argument now against reparations unless you believe Black lives don't matter. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0277953621000733

Good morning middle class white girl.

The report says ‘potential’ not would.

It doesn’t appear to be peer reviewed either.

It seems to make no reference to anything medical. It just compares blacks in Louisiana to South Koreans. The Japanese government didn’t pay reparations to South Koreans for enslaving them. South Koreans just worked for what they had.
Original post by MatureStudent37
Good morning middle class white girl.

The report says ‘potential’ not would.

It doesn’t appear to be peer reviewed either.

It seems to make no reference to anything medical. It just compares blacks in Louisiana to South Koreans. The Japanese government didn’t pay reparations to South Koreans for enslaving them. South Koreans just worked for what they had.

This is peer reviewed research coming from Havard medical school, the best university in the world. You are some random racist posting on the internet. I think I know who I trust to carry out this important research.
I get the point that the study is trying to make. I don't see the need to compare to Korea though - the vast majority of countries and groups don't compare well to korea currently, so its hardly a useful comparison.

But yes, obviously less financially well off is going to result in worse health outcomes. And potentially if you reduced wealth inequality you could reduce health inequality, whether that be along racial lines or class lines or anything else. That isn't really up for debate, the debate is around how you reduce those inequalities. The study above doesn't really justify reparations as a solution for me, but then the author would probably want it viewed as part of the wider field of literature around reparations, and not in isolation.
This is peer reviewed research coming from Havard medical school, the best university in the world. You are some random racist posting on the internet. I think I know who I trust to carry out this important research.

It doesn’t appear to be peer reviewed. Neither does it say anything other than more blacks in Louisiana day of Covid that south Koreans.

In fact, it says very little.

This probably says more.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZFHG8wWC5s
They shouldn’t, in short. It’s a left wing barnpot fallacy as usual.

Just because it’s peer reviewed and comes from Harvard doesn’t make it right.

Even with simple common sense I could know that reparations would solve nothing nowadays

“Important research”

Debatable.
It’s an absurdity because we helped advance most of the world with the Empire. India could never be in the position it is today without our help
Original post by MatureStudent37
Somebody’s been on Wikipedia.

How many millions were killed there? I bet you’re going to quite me a % aren’t you?

Yes I do believe wiping out a whole people group is still significant 👍
Original post by IbeIC123
Yes I do believe wiping out a whole people group is still significant 👍

There was only between 600 and 900 of them. They took out 200 colonists.

Not exactly the Holocaust is it? More like a war on a small Island with a small population.

I’m the word Genocide is quite emotive isn’t it. Some people who hate our culture would love the U.K. to have been involved in a real genocide to justify their extreme left wing views and actions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending