The Student Room Group

what do you think of boris's handling on covid and will have another tory governement

chat

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't be surprised if the Conservatives won at the next GE again - the only viable alternative is Labour who are being led by Captain Hindsight with a very unclear policy approach.

Even given events of the last year, Boris is still polling ahead of Starmer which says a lot!
Until we get a competent opposition we will remain a one party state.
Original post by DiddyDec
Until we get a competent opposition we will remain a one party state.

And as long as Labour keep living in fairy land that will never happen. They need to choose between the working classes and their radical left wing students. They can’t have it both ways.
Reply 4
There's a high statistical likelyhood that the Tories will win the next election and be the largest party given the swing required however its more difficult to say whether they can form the next government, especially if Labour are prepared to betray the union to the SNP.
The Tories could well win. Useless Labour, irrelevant Liberal Democrats, boundary changes forced through, end of the fixed term parliament so they can choose the date, and they will put around the scare that the SNP will call the tune with Labour if there was no Tory majority. If there is any possibility of losing, Boris Johnson will leave and so a new leader (who will inevitably be less bad, as he is the worst Prime Minister in living memory) will have a 'bounce' and not be identified with the failures over Covid 19.
Original post by imlikeahermit
And as long as Labour keep living in fairy land that will never happen. They need to choose between the (WHITE) working classes and their radical left wing students (and their pro mass immigration, anti white politics) They can’t have it both ways.

Fixed that for you. 👍
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by cakes are nice9
chat

I don't like Boris's handling of Covid but it's not a big priority for me and I think we should have just carried on as normal like Sweden, Brazil or Florida which is a niche opinion.

I can't see how the Tories could lose in 2024. Labour are as per above screwed and are kept alive by rigor Mortis and safe seats in primarily "diverse" seats which would elect a donkey if it had a red rosette.

Boris, despite only caring about himself and being completely lacklustre with a cabinet of mediocrities has managed to turn the UK into an effective and mildly popular one party state.

My prediction and hope is that the Tory party gains even more seats at the next GE and when Boris steps down we see a split in the Tory party between the liberals and the Conservatives. Then the real fun can begin ⚡⚡⚡⚡
Reply 8
My prediction is there will be no split and the next leader will disappoint you. There’s very little to force your hope anytime soon and the ERG don’t have the numbers to put up anybody hard (we got Boris because the MP’s defecated themselves after the local/Euro elections).
Original post by Rakas21
My prediction is there will be no split and the next leader will disappoint you. There’s very little to force your hope anytime soon and the ERG don’t have the numbers to put up anybody hard (we got Boris because the MP’s defecated themselves after the local/Euro elections).

You could well be right, we have a lot against us and given half a chance the PCP will stitch us up with a choice between Hancock and Jeremy Hunt or something...

That said these are very tumultuous times. Who could have predicted Trump, Corbyn or Brexit in 2010? There are a lot of difficult choices and hard decisions ahead and reheated Blairism isn't cutting it any more.

We are also seeing a growing culture war in which the public is on our side. The Tory party is sensibly adopting some of these issues but it is playing with forces beyond their ability to control. Whilst dissapointed with the result of the 2020 election I think we lost the battle but will win the war. I have never been more optimistic about the state of the world than now.
Original post by Starship Trooper
I don't like Boris's handling of Covid but it's not a big priority for me and I think we should have just carried on as normal like Sweden, Brazil or Florida which is a niche opinion.

I can't see how the Tories could lose in 2024. Labour are as per above screwed and are kept alive by rigor Mortis and safe seats in primarily "diverse" seats which would elect a donkey if it had a red rosette.

Boris, despite only caring about himself and being completely lacklustre with a cabinet of mediocrities has managed to turn the UK into an effective and mildly popular one party state.

My prediction and hope is that the Tory party gains even more seats at the next GE and when Boris steps down we see a split in the Tory party between the liberals and the Conservatives. Then the real fun can begin ⚡⚡⚡⚡

what rigor moris ?
Original post by cakes are nice9
what rigor moris ?

The position labour is in. It got completely rekt in 2019, it's traditional base hates it and centre left parties across Europe are getting savsged
Not entirely sadly.

The Spanish left won and are comfortably ahead in polling. The Polish left also now leads in polling and the Swedish left looks unchallenged for the win. The Dutch liberals also won if we count them.
Original post by Rakas21
The Spanish left won and are comfortably ahead in polling

The Polish left also now leads in polling

The Swedish left looks unchallenged for the win.

The Dutch liberals also won if we count them.

Spain- look at the rise of Vox as third largest party. PP and Vox could beat Sanchez

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_Spanish_general_election

Poland- Law and Justice are still ahead, Korwin is getting more successful too.

Sweden- along with Germany has the problem that despite the populist right being the third largest party nobody will work with them however that also creates opportunities as you have increasingly absurd and coalitions designed purely to keep them out of power.

Netherlands- the 'far right' overtook the centre left. Forum for Democracy did particularly well considering they had everything thrown at them.

Le Pen has overtaken Macron (I doubt she will win but she will do well enough to scare the **** out of people.

Italy is ours at the next election and Orban isn't going anywhere.
Of course if we expand the goalposts to second or third there's more of interest but my point in the main was that the rise seen post refugee crisis has in the main abated and that the left is sadly not as weak as it was. Even in states where the right is strong, Italy aside it is still mostly the broad establishment right holding on. Populism doing well is not good enough if it can't win and govern.
Fixed that for you. 👍

Pretty much correct, but in simplistic terms they need to cut off the likes of a Jeremy Corbyn and Diane Abbott in order to form any basis of an opposition. Far to many wishy washy left wing utopians. Also stopping their incessant support of criminals wouldn’t be a bad shout.
Original post by Rakas21
Of course if we expand the goalposts to second or third there's more of interest but my point in the main was that the rise seen post refugee crisis has in the main abated and that the left is sadly not as weak as it was. Even in states where the right is strong, Italy aside it is still mostly the broad establishment right holding on.

Populism doing well is not good enough if it can't win and govern.

Other than Denmark [who are cutting immigration] I can't think of anywhere where the centre left is doing well or gaining seats in Europe.

Establishment centre right parties are only gaining power / success by in part adopting at least some of the populist policies eg see the Tory Party or the Austrian People's party. Otherwise they are clinging onto power or joining increasingly fragmented coalitions. Eg see Germany, Netherlands ... the Visegrad states also have populist parties in power. ,"Fringe" right wing parties serve a useful purpose in dragging centrist parties to the right

Personally I don't see the point on winning if that means having terrible candidates and policies. I'd rather the Labour Party ran by Dianne Abbot lead the country rather than say Justine Greening lead the Tories. At least it wouldnt last long and would be funny to watch.

That said I do think winning is important and am more pragmatic than you might think. I don't mind making compromises to get power the problem is many on the right think these compromises are good things in themselves...
Pretty much correct, but in simplistic terms they need to cut off the likes of a Jeremy Corbyn and Diane Abbott in order to form any basis of an opposition. Far to many wishy washy left wing utopians. Also stopping their incessant support of criminals wouldn’t be a bad shout.

I disagree to some extent actually. I don't think labour can win no matter what they do and the problem started with new labour NOT Corbyn.

People seem to forget Corbyn GAINED seats in 2017. Now tbf this can largely be attributed to how awful May was. But I don't think it explains everything.

The reason I think labour lost so badly in 2019 was because , instead of focussing on its (popular) economic policies and accepting brexit (which it did in 2017) it instead pivoted to supporting loony woke ideology, open borders and the insane second referendum. NOTE- it wasn't the old commie far left who pushed for this but the "moderates" like Starmer, Benn and Kendall.
(edited 3 years ago)
I disagree to some extent actually. I don't think labour can win no matter what they do and the problem started with new labour NOT Corbyn.

People seem to forget Corbyn GAINED seats in 2017. Now tbf this can largely be attributed to how awful May was. But I don't think it explains everything.

The reason I think labour lost so badly in 2019 was because , instead of focussing on its (popular) economic policies and accepting brexit (which it did in 2017) it instead pivoted to supporting loony woke ideology, open borders and the insane second referendum. NOTE- it wasn't the old commie far left who pushed for this but the "moderates" like Starmer, Benn and Kendall.

See this is where I disagree. While I despise the left and close to every single thing that they stand for, Labour fundamentally chose to represent the best interests of the working classes by campaigning firstly to remain, but secondly to look at Brexit again. It’s working class voter base will be the people who have been, and will be hit hardest by Brexit, all Labour did was try to campaign for the best thing in their voters interests, it may not have been what they wanted but it was certainly in their best interests to remain.

The commie far left are now a side show that needs removed. Let them form their own party of woke, virtue signalling identity politics and see how they fare in a general election.
See this is where I disagree. While I despise the left and close to every single thing that they stand for, Labour fundamentally chose to represent the best interests of the working classes by campaigning firstly to remain, but secondly to look at Brexit again. It’s working class voter base will be the people who have been, and will be hit hardest by Brexit, all Labour did was try to campaign for the best thing in their voters interests, it may not have been what they wanted but it was certainly in their best interests to remain.

The commie far left are now a side show that needs removed. Let them form their own party of woke, virtue signalling identity politics and see how they fare in a general election.

Well the working class seem to value cultural issues more than economic ones and I can't say I blame them. I wouldn't want to vote for s party/ organisation that hates and wants to replace peolple like me even if I might slightly benefit financially for it.

You appear to have some sort of Stockholm syndrome for the EU, the vast majority of whose UK supporters would regard your other sensible views as 'far right' . This is just as barmy if not more so than that Burton guy voting labour despite being a Brexiteer.

Like I said the 'woke, virtue signing and identity politics' originated from the "moderates" not the commies (although they've now largely adopted these positions now tbf)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending