The Student Room Group

Stopped red lines

Hello. An other question. Hope is not stupid one.

I've dropped my mom home yesterday, and i stopped for few seconds nearly to traffic lights just after bus station so she can leave the car.

As there are cameras, i would like to ask, do i will get fine for stopping for few seconds?

Or this will get me points on license?

Someone said that I'll get 6 points for what ive done which means my license will be revoked. And don't know what to think.

Thanks
If there was double yellow lines then yes.
Reply 2
From memory the difference between red and yellow for this is the exception for blue badge and unloading. These road users are exempt from yellow restrictions but not red.

A single red would mean no stopping at marked times. However I believe it’s a council matter not police so you would get a fine, no points and no requirement to disclose to your insurance. IF you even got caught (unlikely).

Of course I might be wrong as it’s been a long time since I did my driving test - you should really check in the Highway Code.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by emilyalexandra_x
If there was double yellow lines then yes.

There is double red lines.
Reply 4
Looks enforceable by a fine rather than penalty points, presuming that is that it was detected. You’re allowed to stop though if the lights are red
Reply 5
Original post by Zarek
Looks enforceable by a fine rather than penalty points, presuming that is that it was detected. You’re allowed to stop though if the lights are red

Thanks a lot.

I just checked, and there is a sign saying that i can't stop during 7am-7pm.

The time i dropped my mom and stopped was around 19:10

Do i will still get a fine?
Screenshot_20210408_132456_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg
Reply 6
Original post by Vfaust
Thanks a lot.

I just checked, and there is a sign saying that i can't stop during 7am-7pm.

The time i dropped my mom and stopped was around 19:10

Do i will still get a fine?
Screenshot_20210408_132456_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg

Looks like you’re in the clear 👍
Reply 7
Original post by Zarek
Looks like you’re in the clear 👍

The thing, is that i haven't stopped on a bay, but on red lines, can this still be an issue?
Reply 8
Original post by Vfaust
The thing, is that i haven't stopped on a bay, but on red lines, can this still be an issue?

No. Whoever told you that you're liable for 6 points should be shot.
Reply 9
Original post by IWMTom

That's what i was thinking, i stopped on 19:10 on red lines. But having 6 points for that, I'm not sure how.
Reply 10
Original post by IWMTom

Also quick question, how about if you stop on zig zag lines. Are they giving points for that?
Original post by Vfaust
Also quick question, how about if you stop on zig zag lines. Are they giving points for that?

From memory (IANAL) Zigzags seem to be a grey area in that some councils enforce them with a fine (councils can’t really issue criminal punishments so this would be civil - no points, no “conviction” and not disclosure requirements to insurance).

HOWEVER if the police or police traffic wardens (there’s a difference between police TWs and council/private) catch you it’s enforceable by 3 points and a fine which would need to be disclosed to insurance as it’s a motoring offence.

The chances of you being caught and the police bothering with the paperwork is probably pretty low unless it’s outside of a school and/or you cause an accident. Council enforcement is another matter as it’s a cash cow for them and often have cameras or vans driving around with cameras on them etc to enforce fines.
(edited 3 years ago)
The filth will visit and arrest you. I suggest that you say goodbye to your freedom.
Reply 13
Original post by virgil1
From memory (IANAL) Zigzags seem to be a grey area in that some councils enforce them with a fine (councils can’t really issue criminal punishments so this would be civil - no points, no “conviction” and not disclosure requirements to insurance).

HOWEVER if the police or police traffic wardens (there’s a difference between police TWs and council/private) catch you it’s enforceable by 3 points and a fine which would need to be disclosed to insurance as it’s a motoring offence.

The chances of you being caught and the police bothering with the paperwork is probably pretty low unless it’s outside of a school and/or you cause an accident. Council enforcement is another matter as it’s a cash cow for them and often have cameras or vans driving around with cameras on them etc to enforce fines.

Thanks for input. There was a sign at the beginning of road saying red route no stopping 7am-7pm.

That's what confuses me, i did read the Highway code about double red and yellow lines which both are stated no stopping, dropping off or parking at any time. But then there is a sign which says no stopping from 7am-7pm, which i believe you are allowed to stop outside of these hours, I'm right?

Also, one more question, you are also not allowed to dropp off passengers on bus stop as well?
Double lines mean at any time. The sign may have been from previous or relating to a set of single lines somewhere near.

No I don’t think you’re permitted to stop in a bus stop.

Of course the question for most of the “minor” Highway Code infractions is going to be - who sees and who is going to do anything about it. Certainly I’ve stopped to “set down”/pick up as a driver of a private vehicle in bus stops and never been punished.
Reply 15
Original post by virgil1
Double lines mean at any time. The sign may have been from previous or relating to a set of single lines somewhere near.

No I don’t think you’re permitted to stop in a bus stop.

Of course the question for most of the “minor” Highway Code infractions is going to be - who sees and who is going to do anything about it. Certainly I’ve stopped to “set down”/pick up as a driver of a private vehicle in bus stops and never been punished.

Thanks. I'm really confused. In what circumstances i can get points on my license?

Can i get points by stopping on red lines, yellow lines, bus stops or white zig zag lines?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending