The Student Room Group

hello ex-muslims... AMA

I am an ex-Muslim and I am so happy that I don't have to fast this month. AMA

Scroll to see replies

Why did you quit Islam?
Reply 2
Why did you quit islam?
Is there anything you miss about being a Muslim?
Fasten your seatbelts, lads, this is going to turn into a crapstorm.
Reply 4
What made you leave Islam? Are you religious now or would you want to revert in the future?
Reply 5
Original post by sufys12
Why did you quit Islam?

I'm just from a Muslim background and I never really believed in the religion growing up. It's as nonsensical as any other religion and it just doesn't make any sense. It's also hard to follow. Good thing I am from an area with not many Muslims at all in the South West of England.
Reply 6
I am non-religious now as with most people in my age group.
Reply 7
Original post by xsowmix
Why did you quit islam?
Is there anything you miss about being a Muslim?

I miss probably the hope and the community feel that it gave. Even though I am not from an area with Muslims, it was nice to know that there are people of my group in other areas of the country, but in reality when I lived in those areas for a short time, they are not as practicing as I thought.
Reply 8
Original post by lara147
What made you leave Islam? Are you religious now or would you want to revert in the future?

I can't see myself being religious in the near future. I just want to live a normal life. Maybe when I am 70 years and retire then I will think about it, but for now I just want to live a normal life and start a family one day in the future.
Reply 9
Original post by R E S T N O W
Would you ever return to being a Muslim?

Culturally maybe. But in the end of the day I don't believe in the doctrine from a literal sense. Like the angels and the stories of the Prophets, it's just hard to believe as a scientist.
How has your diet changed?
Reply 11
Original post by Other_Owl
How has your diet changed?

In other words, do you eat pork?

Sometimes, only bacon on top of burgers, but I try to limit unhealthy food as I going back to the gym soon.
Original post by ship32
Culturally maybe. But in the end of the day I don't believe in the doctrine from a literal sense. Like the angels and the stories of the Prophets, it's just hard to believe as a scientist.

Well, you only have one life, so live it the way you choose. :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by R E S T N O W
Well, you only have one life, so live it the way you choose. :biggrin:

Absolutely. Once I finished uni, I realised that everything is very flat socially, so I am just working on myself and hopefully I will settle one day and have a family in the future.
Original post by ship32
I'm just from a Muslim background and I never really believed in the religion growing up.

Not really ex-muslim if you weren't Muslim in the first place. But quick question, what sect were you and how many rakats are in wudu.

Also what type of scientist are you.
Reply 15
Original post by Cıllıan
Not really ex-muslim if you weren't Muslim in the first place. But quick question, what sect were you and how many rakats are in wudu.

Also what type of scientist are you.

Well I guess I was always cultural Muslim. I was raised to identify with the religion based on check boxes.
I think I was from Sunni sect, though I don't even know why the two fight. And there are no rakats in that, oh that was quite a frustrating process. Having to always wash all the time, especially as I get indigestion a lot and fart so it just becomes too frustrating.
Reply 16
Original post by ship32
I am an ex-Muslim and I am so happy that I don't have to fast this month. AMA

other than dietary restrictions and the like, what if any downsides were there? im learning a bit more about islam as an agnostic/atheist and id love to hear more about it
but there's many scientist that proved what was said in the Quran and what the Holy Prophet Muhammed (Peace Be Upon Him) said
Reply 18
Original post by hhebj65
other than dietary restrictions and the like, what if any downsides were there? im learning a bit more about islam as an agnostic/atheist and id love to hear more about it

if I were you I would look into it when you retire. Don't waste your life now with it now. It will imprison your mental state.
Do you have any dating dealbreakers connected to religious beliefs, national citizenship status or politics?

Quick Reply

Latest