The Student Room Group

Do I get fined for not voting?

Hi guys, I applied for the electoral register a year ago since I was planning to apply for a credit card, I did this voluntarily. The London mayor election is today but unfortunately it isn’t feasible for me to vote since the nearest polling station is quite far and I have got 2 appointments today. My friend told me that I would be fined if I’m on the electoral register (which I am) but don’t vote, can someone please confirm this? I haven’t found anything on the gov.uk website that answers my question. Thanks!
This is absolutely false. Don't worry about it.
Reply 2
Original post by Nagromicous
This is absolutely false. Don't worry about it.

Could you please show me any evidence? I promise you that I believe you, I’d just like further confirmation if that’s ok
Original post by LilGoat7
Could you please show me any evidence? I promise you that I believe you, I’d just like further confirmation if that’s ok

Look here: https://www.gov.uk/electoral-register

You can get fined for not registering to vote if you are required to, but the UK does not operate a compulsory voting system.
Not in the UK.
The UK does not have compulsory voting laws.
Reply 5
I haven't voted in the past 6 years..

Polling stations are open until 10pm.

To answer your question though, I have not voted in a couple of elections in the past and have not received a fine.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Hi guys, I applied for the electoral register a year ago since I was planning to apply for a credit card, I did this voluntarily. The London mayor election is today but unfortunately it isn’t feasible for me to vote since the nearest polling station is quite far and I have got 2 appointments today. My friend told me that I would be fined if I’m on the electoral register (which I am) but don’t vote, can someone please confirm this? I haven’t found anything on the gov.uk website that answers my question. Thanks!

You won't get fined for not voting in a UK election, your friend might be geting confused with how they do things in Australia or from the recent Census (which you can be fined for if you don't fill it in).
Reply 8
Hi. Do you know where can I find am I fined because I forgot to register for vote?

Latest

Trending

Trending