The Student Room Group

Four years wasted... I might not graduate...

This year is my final year at uni, and all of the other years have been going well, but Covid this year has really taken a toll on my mental health and so far I've failed to submit my dissertation on time after being granted an extension (I had to just put it aside all together just so I can move on and work on my exams), and on top of that submitted an assignment weighing 50% of a course more than a week past the deadline (so far I've not submitted extenuating cricumstances claim either out of fear it wont be accepted... I know its dumb not to but fear is stopping me from doing it).

I did manage to complete all my exams on time and should be able to pass in everything else. Not getting a pass in my dissertation and that 50% assignment will mean I can't graduate with an honours degree, and I am really stressed out just thinking about it.

I am planning to speak to my university after I finish my last exam, but am really scared they will not let me redo the dissertation and the assignment. After all, I've already used my mental issues as evidence to get extensions. Plus my uni has a policy of not allowing resits for final year courses.

What do you guys think are the prospects of me getting permission to redo things so I can at least graduate with honours? (at this point I would be happy with a third)
Reply 1
I think you should accept the reality as it is and focus on your mental health more. Mental health is crucial, especially reflecting how you perform academically. Definitely inquire in getting permission, though please don't sack aside your mental health. I wish you good health and all the best.

Be careful with your words. Has 4 years been wasted to you? Does it mean, the last 3 years have been deleted? *Poof*
I don't know of your options, but head up. Try and clean it up best as possible. The moment you close the book for good is when you decline.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Lennon51
I think you should accept the reality as it is and focus on your mental health more. Mental health is crucial, especially reflecting how you perform academically. Definitely inquire in getting permission, though please don't sack aside your mental health. I wish you good health and all the best.

Be careful with your words. Has 4 years been wasted to you? Does it mean, the last 3 years have been deleted? *Poof*
I don't know of your options, but head up. Try and clean it up best as possible. The moment you close the book for good is when you decline.

aw thank you for your kind words, they mean a lot especially when I've been beating myself down about all this for the past 1-2 months. There's just been a lot of pressure this year for me both in terms of studies/career and in my personal life.... My job offer is conditioned on getting a pass, and the prospect of not getting a proper degree is not making things better.

You are definitely right that I should focus on health first especially when it'll impact my exams. I suppose at this point I can only hope for the best....
Reply 3
Original post by Waitinginthecafe
aw thank you for your kind words, they mean a lot especially when I've been beating myself down about all this for the past 1-2 months. There's just been a lot of pressure this year for me both in terms of studies/career and in my personal life.... My job offer is conditioned on getting a pass, and the prospect of not getting a proper degree is not making things better.

You are definitely right that I should focus on health first especially when it'll impact my exams. I suppose at this point I can only hope for the best....

Yes. Head up, facing the horizon. It's easier to beat yourself up about it and fall victim. But will you take this easy way? Will you fall astray from challenging moments in your experience? You can surpass it. Can you pursue your academic goals further in terms of requirements? Is there alternative routes to the same job-role? There will be options. I have no doubts you've knowledgeable and you'll weight up the options for your next steps.

To share my story, I've personally sat out two years since coronavirus and worked on my mental health whilst learning away from the classroom. Rather than a mind full of resentment to the sudden sprawl of the coronavirus outbreak and the fact it prevented good learning for me, I praise coronavirus for the time I've taken away. It has helped my expand my perception on the world. And without this time I wouldn't be who I am today. Similarly, you may think back to this circumstance in a few years time, based on the decisions you make now. Mental Health will help you out in the long-run. This is why I say mental health is important. It's strength of character, being secure and reasonable with yourself with how you interact in this world.

He who rushes ahead doesn’t go far. - Lou Tzu

Have a good day!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Lennon51
Yes. Head up, facing the horizon. It's easier to beat yourself up about it and fall victim. But will you take this easy way? Will you fall astray from challenging moments in your experience? You can surpass it. Can you pursue your academic goals further in terms of requirements? Is there alternative routes to the same job-role? There will be options. I have no doubts you've knowledgeable and you'll weight up the options for your next steps.

To share my story, I've personally sat out two years since coronavirus and worked on my mental health whilst learning away from the classroom. Rather than a mind full of resentment to the sudden sprawl of the coronavirus outbreak and the fact it prevented good learning for me, I praise coronavirus for the time I've taken away. It has helped my expand my perception on the world. And without this time I wouldn't be who I am today. Similarly, you may think back to this circumstance in a few years time, based on the decisions you make now. Mental Health will help you out in the long-run. This is why I say mental health is important. It's strength of character, being secure and reasonable with yourself with how you interact in this world.

He who rushes ahead doesn’t go far. - Lou Tzu

Have a good day!

Thanks for sharing and wow you are such an inspirational person! I think I feel a bit better now and more motivated! good day to you as well!
Reply 5
hey, honestly I'm pretty much in the same boat. my dissertation is due in tonight (this is with my EC for my mental health) and it hasn't come together. I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm so scared rn, I've missed so many of my deadlines and I only claimed EC's for the last 4 of this year. Honestly at this point I've accepted my fate but it's annoying. Do the best you can with what you've got left, wait for your results and then see what happens from there. If you can apply for EC's for the deadlines that you didn't apply for, do that now. My uni gives us up to 10 working days after the deadline to submit an EC due to the pandemic.I have to resit a couple of my deadlines from term 1 in July and that's if the board allows me to. I'm hoping I can convince them to let me do so.sometimes the uni board will compensate you if your failing overall grade is between 30-39% I believe.
Original post by kuro25
hey, honestly I'm pretty much in the same boat. my dissertation is due in tonight (this is with my EC for my mental health) and it hasn't come together. I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm so scared rn, I've missed so many of my deadlines and I only claimed EC's for the last 4 of this year. Honestly at this point I've accepted my fate but it's annoying. Do the best you can with what you've got left, wait for your results and then see what happens from there. If you can apply for EC's for the deadlines that you didn't apply for, do that now. My uni gives us up to 10 working days after the deadline to submit an EC due to the pandemic.I have to resit a couple of my deadlines from term 1 in July and that's if the board allows me to. I'm hoping I can convince them to let me do so.sometimes the uni board will compensate you if your failing overall grade is between 30-39% I believe.

so sorry to hear that you're having a hard time too. I just contacted my adviser and I think at this point if I can get another EC for my assignment then I still have a chance at passing. Our uni only give 5 days for making EC claims though and I am two days behind that and I dont know how they're gonna take it honestly.

Best of luck to you as well, I think best thing to do is to submit another EC claim. If there's any lesson to be learned from my case, it would be to submit your claim and getting into contact asap.
Reply 7
Original post by Waitinginthecafe
so sorry to hear that you're having a hard time too. I just contacted my adviser and I think at this point if I can get another EC for my assignment then I still have a chance at passing. Our uni only give 5 days for making EC claims though and I am two days behind that and I dont know how they're gonna take it honestly.

Best of luck to you as well, I think best thing to do is to submit another EC claim. If there's any lesson to be learned from my case, it would be to submit your claim and getting into contact asap.

Good luck to you too my dear!! Honestly, I just had a really good cry and let out all my anxiety. For now anyway. Hopefully everything goes well for you!!
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest