The Student Room Group

What’s a graduate scheme

Hey guys I got a careers meeting coming up with a local careers advisor where they’ll give advice and tips but also discuss graduate schemes can anyone tell me what they are exactly, the benefits of doing one and the duration it takes and the outcome in the end.

Thank you so much

😊
Original post by Mohammed_2000
Hey guys I got a careers meeting coming up with a local careers advisor where they’ll give advice and tips but also discuss graduate schemes can anyone tell me what they are exactly, the benefits of doing one and the duration it takes and the outcome in the end.

Thank you so much

😊

A graduate scheme is a scheme, normally run by larger employers, aimed at new graduates to give them exposure to different areas of the business. So if the scheme last one year, for example, you might spend three months in each of four different areas of the company. The idea being that by the end of that time, you have a good idea of what area of the company suits you (as does the company).

These schemes are very much in demand and so can be quite competitive. Durations and outcomes can vary. Your careers advisor can tell you all about them.
Original post by DataVenia
A graduate scheme is a scheme, normally run by larger employers, aimed at new graduates to give them exposure to different areas of the business. So if the scheme last one year, for example, you might spend three months in each of four different areas of the company. The idea being that by the end of that time, you have a good idea of what area of the company suits you (as does the company).
These schemes are very much in demand and so can be quite competitive. Durations and outcomes can vary. Your careers advisor can tell you all about them.

So I hold a IT degree what are the four areas I’ll cover in that year scheme I obtain.
Original post by Mohammed_2000
So I hold a IT degree what are the four areas I’ll cover in that year scheme I obtain.

Er, did you see any of these words in what I wrote above: "...if the scheme last one year, for example, you might..."? Every employer will run their scheme differently. I was merely trying to give you a flavour of what you might experience. If you want specifics, I suggest you click through into some of the scheme details listed here.
Original post by DataVenia
Er, did you see any of these words in what I wrote above: "...if the scheme last one year, for example, you might..."? Every employer will run their scheme differently. I was merely trying to give you a flavour of what you might experience. If you want specifics, I suggest you click through into some of the scheme details listed here.

Oh thanks you so much my bad I didn’t realise :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest