The Student Room Group

South Asians would you be engaged to someone from back home without meeting first

So my cousin spoke to a guy from Pakistan during lockdown this was set up by her mums friend. She chatted to him so far on video and phone but never met him. She got engaged to him in January so now the boys family have sent dresses and jewellery in the post to her. Don't know when the wedding will be but would anyone else do the same or would they meet the person first then decide whether to marry them I feel you can't get a feel for someone by phone or chatting by video.
I personally had chemistry with a few people on phone and when I met them it fizzled out as no chemistry or vibe.
Uhh personally i would not, I mean, I need to meet them irl, but what is more concerning for me is that she was set up with someone back home?
Are there no people here that she could have met??
But then again, i guess if she is alright with it, then, ok.
personally, i'd want to meet them first since i feel like you dont really know how a person is like just over the phone but if you meet them in person, you at least get a more feel on how their character/personality/vibes are like. talking to them only on the phone, for me, wouldn't provide me with much information of the person than in real life.
Reply 3
Original post by Justaboutalive
Uhh personally i would not, I mean, I need to meet them irl, but what is more concerning for me is that she was set up with someone back home?

She met a few guys here but she didn't like them.
I was surprised too cause she refused in the past to marry someone back home.
I heard she wouldn't even speak to him at first so maybe she really likes him who knows
ofc not! What sort of question is this :rofl:
Original post by Anonymous
She met a few guys here but she didn't like them.
I was surprised too cause she refused in the past to marry someone back home.
I heard she wouldn't even speak to him at first so maybe she really likes him who knows

Wouldn't even speak to him? Like how as in shyful or she just didn't want to?
nah
in my opinion personally would have to get to know them in real life before making choices
Reply 8
Wouldn't even speak to him? Like how as in shyful or she just didn't want to?

I overheard it maybe she was shy I think. The problem was her parents were in an unhappy marriage arranged and got divorced 10 years ago I think maybe that’s why she is a bit wary.
Reply 9
Original post by Bookworm_88

Are you Asian? Cause there are people out there who go through this.
I overheard it maybe she was shy I think. The problem was her parents were in an unhappy marriage arranged and got divorced 10 years ago I think maybe that’s why she is a bit wary.

Hm alright, I think it's just important to keep her communicating about how she feels here, don't want anything happening where she may be pressured.
No, I'd want to know a girl for months, maybe years, before even considering engagement.

yeh not to say anything bad about islam or anything but i dont think arrange marriage is right cos how can you love who you never meet
but thats my opinion which mean its prob wrong lol
So my cousin spoke to a guy from Pakistan during lockdown this was set up by her mums friend. She chatted to him so far on video and phone but never met him. She got engaged to him in January so now the boys family have sent dresses and jewellery in the post to her. Don't know when the wedding will be but would anyone else do the same or would they meet the person first then decide whether to marry them I feel you can't get a feel for someone by phone or chatting by video.
I personally had chemistry with a few people on phone and when I met them it fizzled out as no chemistry or vibe.

Best to meet the person first then date/court for about 1 year before marriage.
Original post by Bookworm_88

🤣🤣🤣🤣
Original post by Wise Goldie
yeh not to say anything bad about islam or anything but i dont think arrange marriage is right cos how can you love who you never meet

Lol it's not just Islam that does arranged marriages, lots of cultures do.
Plus in the case of an arranged marriage its not where two individuals are told 'you and you, get married now!' lol but they are two single people, looking to get married and are introduced to one another by people who know what they are looking for in a partner. From the introduction they can discuss things and talk, get to know each other and yeah propose or not.
:h:

Well it's not down to being Asian. Alot of people fall in love over WiFi regardless of race. That person is just saying they wouldn't do it
Original post by Wise Goldie

Arranged marriage =/= forced marriage

Forced marriage is haraam in Islam.
Arranged marriage is just introducing 2 people to meet up and see if they wanna get married. Different cultures do it differently but its definitely better than finding a random girl in the club imo
I'm not Asian or Muslim but I think I speak for the majority when I say this is a really backwards practice and you can't possibly love someone enough to marry them without even meeting...

Yep.
Hate to be them 😅

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending