The Student Room Group

BNurs and BSc (Hons) nursing

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me the difference between BNurs and BSc (Hons) nursing please! I've tried google but can't find a proper answer! I know they both lead to a nursing degree etc, but are they taught differently? Learn totally different things in a different way? That sort of thing!

Trying to weigh up pros and cons of UoM and MMU!

Reply 1
The only real difference is literally in the name of the degree, beyond that there are no differences in course content etc. You end up with a nursing degree that allows you to register as a nurse, beyond that it doesn't really matter
Original post by millsr
The only real difference is literally in the name of the degree, beyond that there are no differences in course content etc. You end up with a nursing degree that allows you to register as a nurse, beyond that it doesn't really matter

Thank you. So there is no difference in teaching or anything? One isnt more lecture based and the other more practical or anything? (By this I mean during theory time, one more practical in simulation etc)
Reply 3
Original post by Christinaj2625
Thank you. So there is no difference in teaching or anything? One isnt more lecture based and the other more practical or anything? (By this I mean during theory time, one more practical in simulation etc)

Nope, no difference. Obviously there may be slight differences in the way that individual universities teach their courses and the specific modules that they offer, but that is entirely dependent on the university, and you'll have to look at the course pages etc. to find course content and things. There will never be any real difference in the amount of time you spend on theory and placement as the NMC requires all courses to include 2300 theory hours and 2300 practice hours over the full duration of the course - some universities send students on placement for a few weeks longer than required, but that's only to cover for any potentially missed time for reasons such as illness etc. so that students aren't having to cram in extra placement hours at the end or overlap with theory. One of the good things about nursing (or at least I think it's good) is that course content doesn't really vary as much between universities as other courses, and employers don't really care where you went to uni or where your uni ranks, so you can really choose based on what you want from your uni and the quality of the facilities/placements that are available at each place
Original post by millsr
Nope, no difference. Obviously there may be slight differences in the way that individual universities teach their courses and the specific modules that they offer, but that is entirely dependent on the university, and you'll have to look at the course pages etc. to find course content and things. There will never be any real difference in the amount of time you spend on theory and placement as the NMC requires all courses to include 2300 theory hours and 2300 practice hours over the full duration of the course - some universities send students on placement for a few weeks longer than required, but that's only to cover for any potentially missed time for reasons such as illness etc. so that students aren't having to cram in extra placement hours at the end or overlap with theory. One of the good things about nursing (or at least I think it's good) is that course content doesn't really vary as much between universities as other courses, and employers don't really care where you went to uni or where your uni ranks, so you can really choose based on what you want from your uni and the quality of the facilities/placements that are available at each place

Amazing, thank you so much! it's such a hard decision haha!
In my uni, BSC Nursing is your bachelors degree, which is 3 years. The BSC Honours is an Honours degree which is 4 years. The first 3 years are the same for both degrees however the 4th year in the honours requires you to complete a dissertation.
Reply 6
Original post by Skyelark123
In my uni, BSC Nursing is your bachelors degree, which is 3 years. The BSC Honours is an Honours degree which is 4 years. The first 3 years are the same for both degrees however the 4th year in the honours requires you to complete a dissertation.

No. The honours 4th year only applies in Scotland. As OP is on about Manchester Uni & Man Met, both are 3 years only.
Reply 7
Amazing, thank you so much! it's such a hard decision haha!

What choice have you made. I am still torn between Manchester Uni and Manchester Met? If you have what was the deciding factor? Thanks
Original post by Picksy
What choice have you made. I am still torn between Manchester Uni and Manchester Met? If you have what was the deciding factor? Thanks

I've firmed man met! The main reason was from speaking to the students.....I've not heard one bad thing about MMU, and they are less academic there. Apparently UoM like everyone to have top grades all time instead of learning the practical side
I've firmed man met! The main reason was from speaking to the students.....I've not heard one bad thing about MMU, and they are less academic there. Apparently UoM like everyone to have top grades all time instead of learning the practical side

Hi @Christinaj2625

Congratulations on receiving an offer from us and deciding to make us your firm choice! Hopefully, you will be very happy at Manchester met. I am glad to hear speaking to our students helped make your decision.

Good luck with everything! See you in September! whoo :smartass:
Carly :smile:
Reply 10

Hi Christina, thank you for this. And brilliant news you have decided. 😁

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending