The Student Room Group

Should I complain about driving new instructor and

request a new one with a more suitable car?

I had a lesson with a new instructor today and it didn't go well. (My first lesson after a couple of years of no driving but I remember a lot) First of all, she arrived late, there was no company name on the car and looked like a Mini Cooper which I hate. Then she wouldn't let me move off by my house cos there was a hill in the distance but we could have gone the opposite way and there's also a main road close by but we could have stayed away from there cos near my house is pretty quiet but she insisted on driving me to another quiet area away from my area which took like 15 mins- half an hour to get to. It was a 2 hour lesson but i only drove for like half an hour, the rest of the time she was driving or asking me questions instead of letting me learn by driving. All we did was moving off and parking with a bit of main road driving. I feel like I would have achieved more if she'd have come on time and would have let me drive from the start for the full 2 hours instead of what I did drive. Plus her car was too complex for me to what I was used to years ago. Everything was different, the handbrake, seat adjustments and mirrors etc. I feel like it will take me forever to remember them and get to test level again in that car. When she asked me when I wanted the next lesson, I said I didn't know and would let her know and she said please let me know today but I don't plan on contacting her again. Should I complain to the driving school and get a new instructor with a better car or go to a different driving school?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Title was meant to say should I complain about new driving instructor and
If you feel unhappy with your current instructor then find a new one, simple.
No one in their right mind would let someone who hasn’t driven in several years drive straight away without asking some questions first to ensure they were going to be safe behind the wheel. If she was late, she should have either finished late to ensure your lesson lasted a whole 2 hours, or charged you less. Other than that, I don’t really see an issue here. The fact you don’t like her car is not her fault.
Original post by Anonymusy
request a new one with a more suitable car?

I had a lesson with a new instructor today and it didn't go well. (My first lesson after a couple of years of no driving but I remember a lot) First of all, she arrived late, there was no company name on the car and looked like a Mini Cooper which I hate. Then she wouldn't let me move off by my house cos there was a hill in the distance but we could have gone the opposite way and there's also a main road close by but we could have stayed away from there cos near my house is pretty quiet but she insisted on driving me to another quiet area away from my area which took like 15 mins- half an hour to get to. It was a 2 hour lesson but i only drove for like half an hour, the rest of the time she was driving or asking me questions instead of letting me learn by driving. All we did was moving off and parking with a bit of main road driving. I feel like I would have achieved more if she'd have come on time and would have let me drive from the start for the full 2 hours instead of what I did drive. Plus her car was too complex for me to what I was used to years ago. Everything was different, the handbrake, seat adjustments and mirrors etc. I feel like it will take me forever to remember them and get to test level again in that car. When she asked me when I wanted the next lesson, I said I didn't know and would let her know and she said please let me know today but I don't plan on contacting her again. Should I complain to the driving school and get a new instructor with a better car or go to a different driving school?

that’s really odd because my first teacher was similar - Mini Cooper, was always at least half an hour late even though he knew I had college, and we never went much further than round the block.
After realising I was wasting my money, I found a new teacher and within a week I was driving on dual carriageways. So yeah, I’d say if you get a bad feeling just change, I’m glad I did :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by RedGiant
If you feel unhappy with your current instructor then find a new one, simple.

I will
Reply 6
Original post by black tea
No one in their right mind would let someone who hasn’t driven in several years drive straight away without asking some questions first to ensure they were going to be safe behind the wheel. If she was late, she should have either finished late to ensure your lesson lasted a whole 2 hours, or charged you less. Other than that, I don’t really see an issue here. The fact you don’t like her car is not her fault.

Yes I know she was going to ask a few questions but it was too many questions, all throughout the 2 hours I was bombarded and felt overwhelmed when I'm not the most confident person in the world. We did finish later but I know I could have done more driving if she'd have stayed near my house if we stayed off the main road. The car you learn to drive in is important, you have to be comfortable otherwise it won't work. All cars are not the same inside. Yeah I didn't like the outside of the car but the inside wasn't any better. I wasn't comfortable in her car so it's pointless having more lessons with it. Plus her teaching methods were different to any previous instructors I've had, it didn't work for me. The teaching method is also important because everyone learns differently. If I keep having lessons with her, I won't get very far. Plus I'm not rich, im on a budget. The more comfortable and relaxed I am, the quicker I will get good at driving and will be able to pass the test.
Yes I know she was going to ask a few questions but it was too many questions, all throughout the 2 hours I was bombarded and felt overwhelmed when I'm not the most confident person in the world. We did finish later but I know I could have done more driving if she'd have stayed near my house if we stayed off the main road. The car you learn to drive in is important, you have to be comfortable otherwise it won't work. All cars are not the same inside. Yeah I didn't like the outside of the car but the inside wasn't any better. I wasn't comfortable in her car so it's pointless having more lessons with it. Plus her teaching methods were different to any previous instructors I've had, it didn't work for me. The teaching method is also important because everyone learns differently. If I keep having lessons with her, I won't get very far. Plus I'm not rich, im on a budget. The more comfortable and relaxed I am, the quicker I will get good at driving and will be able to pass the test.

So find another instructor then, but there is nothing here to complain to the driving company about.
Reply 8
Original post by lucyyy12
that’s really odd because my first teacher was similar - Mini Cooper, was always at least half an hour late even though he knew I had college, and we never went much further than round the block.
After realising I was wasting my money, I found a new teacher and within a week I was driving on dual carriageways. So yeah, I’d say if you get a bad feeling just change, I’m glad I did :smile:

Thanks. Yeah I'm already looking for a new instructor. I had a bad feeling way before I had the lesson and I didn't enjoy the lesson as much as I was expecting when I was always excited and content while driving with my previous instructor. I'm actually thinking of contacting my previous driving school to find out if my previous instructor still works there cos she was the best instructor I've ever had and the only one I stuck with. If she doesn't work there anymore, I'll try out a different instructor from the same driving school she worked at cos the cars are all the same pretty much in that driving school, I've seen them recently and they look like the same car I used to have lessons in before so hopefully it will be better than today.

I'm put off by this driving school cos of what happened today so I don't think I'll bother complaining or contacting them about another instructor cos I can tell if an instructor is good or not from the first lesson with them. My whole day was ruined cos of today :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by black tea
So find another instructor then, but there is nothing here to complain to the driving company about.

I'm not going to bother contacting her or the driving company again. I'm already looking for another instructor.
Thanks. Yeah I'm already looking for a new instructor. I had a bad feeling way before I had the lesson and I didn't enjoy the lesson as much as I was expecting when I was always excited and content while driving with my previous instructor. I'm actually thinking of contacting my previous driving school to find out if my previous instructor still works there cos she was the best instructor I've ever had and the only one I stuck with. If she doesn't work there anymore, I'll try out a different instructor from the same driving school she worked at cos the cars are all the same pretty much in that driving school, I've seen them recently and they look like the same car I used to have lessons in before so hopefully it will be better than today.

I'm put off by this driving school cos of what happened today so I don't think I'll bother complaining or contacting them about another instructor cos I can tell if an instructor is good or not from the first lesson with them. My whole day was ruined cos of today :frown:

aww I’m sorry that’s awful :frown:
yeah I’d definitely get someone else, hope you get a better one soon and you’ll enjoy it a lot more Xx
Makes me wonder if the driving instructor was "together" enough to have insurance?
I would avoid this one and get another one.
Reply 12
Original post by lucyyy12
aww I’m sorry that’s awful :frown:
yeah I’d definitely get someone else, hope you get a better one soon and you’ll enjoy it a lot more Xx

Thanks I hope so too
Reply 13
Original post by Bunny-hop123
Makes me wonder if the driving instructor was "together" enough to have insurance?
I would avoid this one and get another one.

Yeah thanks, thats what I've decided to do already looking for a new instructor :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 14
Update: I got a new driving instructor and she turned up 30 mins late. She called me before saying she would be late cos her car needed petrol but surely she should have done that beforehand. She was using her phone and making calls during the lesson too and also had a sticker method lol but I understood it. The car is much better and her teaching method was better but I'm not sure if I should have more lessons with her cos she was unprofessional. I need to have another lesson with her cos I paid by cash but only had notes, I needed £1 back but she didn't have change and said I would pay £1 less in next lesson. So I'll have another lesson with her then quit. I'm on a waiting list for another school so I'm hoping an instructor will be available soon but maybe I should find another instructor for now. Ugh why do they have to be so unprofessional? Let's hope its third time lucky.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending