The Student Room Group

Philosophy - Irenaeus

Hi, I have an essay due soon. I know/have written the main information but for an A01 question I doubt one paragraph of 150 words is going to cut it. I'm really struggling to add more and I was wondering if anybody could help. The question is: Examine the key features of Irenaeus’s theodicy. My teacher usually tells us to just explain the theories in A01's but the word 'Examine' leads me to believe I'm supposed to put my own thoughts into it, I'm unsure. I've written: An short intro about Irenaeus, (2nd century, Bishop of Lyons etc) -And I've discussed soul-making. But It isn't enough!
Reply 1
'Examine' means you need to discuss or assess the strengths and weaknesses of the main parts his particular theodicy. What are they (AO1), do they work, what are some criticisms (AO2). But if your teacher has specified that you do it one way, then I'd do that, or at least check with them
Original post by gjd800
'Examine' means you need to discuss or assess the strengths and weaknesses of the main parts his particular theodicy. What are they (AO1), do they work, what are some criticisms (AO2). But if your teacher has specified that you do it one way, then I'd do that, or at least check with them

Thanks! Do you think I should mention other philosophers such as John Hick who developed the theodicy to create a strength? Or is that moving far away from the original question/Going on another tangent? / Should I mention Augustine and discuss how he believed God did NOT create evil & suffering whilst Irenaeus believed he did.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Ellie_Georgina
Thanks! Do you think I should mention other philosophers such as John Hick who developed the theodicy to create a strength? Or is that moving far away from the original question/Going on another tangent?

I'm not familiar with either so I'm not really too sure how you'd best approach it. But if there is a gap in Irenaeus' formulation which can be plugged by someone like Hick, then this is certainly a) evaluative and so AO2, and b) showing knowledge of wider context (which the spec usually asks for, too)
Reply 4
I'm guessing this is the AQA exam board? For a 10 mark AO1 question you would just need to splurge everything you know about Irenaeus.

The key ideas you should mention are:

A brief summary of the problem of evil and the idea of a 'theodicy'.

Two step creation based on the 'image and likeness' quote.

The idea that evil exists because it serves the good purpose of soul-making. Give examples of how overcoming evil could make someone stronger/morally better.

The reason the God could not have created us fully formed in the first place - because a fully formed (good) person is one who chooses good over evil and it is contradictory to 'make' someone 'choose' good over evil. So the best God can do is give us free will and hope we will develop our souls by choosing good over evil so that we deserve heaven.

Illustrations Irenaeus made of his theodicy in action from the Bible, such as Jonah and the big fish.

Mentioning Augustine would not shed more light on examining Irenaeus so there's not much point of doing that.
Original post by Joe312
I'm guessing this is the AQA exam board? For a 10 mark AO1 question you would just need to splurge everything you know about Irenaeus.

The idea that evil exists because it serves the good purpose of soul-making. Give examples of how overcoming evil could make someone stronger/morally better.

The reason the God could not have created us fully formed in the first place - because a fully formed (good) person is one who chooses good over evil and it is contradictory to 'make' someone 'choose' good over evil. So the best God can do is give us free will and hope we will develop our souls by choosing good over evil so that we deserve heaven.

Illustrations Irenaeus made of his theodicy in action from the Bible, such as Jonah and the big fish.

Mentioning Augustine would not shed more light on examining Irenaeus so there's not much point of doing that.

It's a 20 mark A01- I have written about most of these (Currently re-writing it to try and make it a little longer.) But it's only amounting to two paragraphs.
Original post by Joe312

If you have many more tips on how to bulk paragraphs for 20 marks that would be a huge help! Thank you so much. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Ellie_Georgina
If you have many more tips on how to bulk paragraphs for 20 marks that would be a huge help! Thank you so much. :smile:

For the WJEC/Eduqas exam board? You wouldn't need anything additional to those key points.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending