The Student Room Group

Workplace not paying me money

So I’ve been working at a place since October 2020 and now it’s June 2021
I only work for 2 hours a week.
I’ve worked for a long time and I’ve not got paid once as my employer was like we’re sorting out the employment contracts and it’s gonna take a little time for us to start paying you.
But she told me to write that I’ve started to work from 1st of June 2021 when I’ve actually been working since October 2020.
What can I say to her in the nicest way possible to ask for all the money I should be getting for all the hours I worked since October 2020? The staff is really friendly and we all work collectively so I don’t want any awkwardness.
Also what happens if she refuses to pay me and says she’s only going to pay me for the hours that I worked from starting from 1st of June 2021?
Surely this is not allowed right?

Scroll to see replies

Why did you keep working if you haven't been paid for 9 months? That seems extremely scammy to me
The nicest way I would put it is “stop messing me around and pay me, otherwise I’ll see you at the employment tribunal”.
That’s literally slavery lmao
Reply 4
@Imboredasf
@Imboredasf
@RedGiant
@RedGiant
I carried on and still am working there as they constantly reassure me that im getting paid and they’re sorting out the paperwork. I’m 17 atm and I was doing it just for work experience and little income on the side.
Original post by Anonymous
@Imboredasf
@Imboredasf
@RedGiant
@RedGiant
I carried on and still am working there as they constantly reassure me that im getting paid and they’re sorting out the paperwork. I’m 17 atm and I was doing it just for work experience and little income on the side.

As above, tell them to pay you or you will notify the authorities. In which case they will have to pay you all the owed wages, and they will probably face some hefty fines and/or criminal charges. Frankly I'd suggest reporting them to the relevant authorities even if they do pay you.

You may want to discuss this with your local Citizen's Advice Bureau as they will be able to provide advice and also should be able to tell you who (and how) to report the situation to if necessary.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
As above, tell them to pay you or you will notify the authorities. In which case they will have to pay you all the owed wages, and they will probably face some hefty fines and/or criminal charges. Frankly I'd suggest reporting them to the relevant authorities even if they do pay you.

You may want to discuss this with your local Citizen's Advice Bureau as they will be able to provide advice and also should be able to tell you who (and how) to report the situation to if necessary.

@artful_lounger
Thank you for this! Much appreciated!
What they're doing is illegal.

It doesn't take 9 months to pay somebody. You should contact the police and clearly they are using you as free labour as you are too nice.
Reply 8
What they're doing is illegal.

It doesn't take 9 months to pay somebody. You should contact the police and clearly they are using you as free labour as you are too nice.

Yes i am going to ask them next week after seeing the responses.
@Imboredasf
@Imboredasf
@RedGiant
@RedGiant

Im 17 too but I haven’t gotten a job yet. I don’t know much but this but it seems like they’re taking advantage you. I think you should do a tik tok video and talk about how they haven’t been paying you, that way you can get support of many people if it goes viral and also shame the company
Original post by Onion socks
Im 17 too but I haven’t gotten a job yet. I don’t know much but this but it seems like they’re taking advantage you. I think you should do a tik tok video and talk about how they haven’t been paying you, that way you can get support of many people if it goes viral and also shame the company

Jesus Christ please save this generation for we are DOOMED. :adore:
Original post by Onion socks

"do a tik tok video"? Is that a sarcastic suggestion or are you being serious?
@Imboredasf
@Imboredasf
@RedGiant
@RedGiant

It was very foolish (and illegal?!) to begin without a formal written contract but a verbal contract is still a contract
Reply 13
OP didn't get a contract there is no breech

In my first ever job I got scammed like this. lost a few days pay....... they ignored me when I formally asked for it in writing.

I was too anxious/scared to escalate the matter to the authorities..

I did learn a lot from that experience though, and if something like that happened today I would absolutely escalate things as far as I could. I was naive in that I did not get a contract signed before I started. The woman who run the place took advantage of me. She knew it was my first job......

OP is 100% absolutely getting scammed here. It does not take 9 months to get a contract, and being asked to say that you started in june is them trying to make sure OP cannot get the pay backdated...
Original post by ANM775
OP didn't get a contract there is no breech

In my first ever job I got scammed like this. lost a few days pay....... they ignored me when I formally asked for it in writing.

I was too anxious/scared to escalate the matter to the authorities..

I did learn a lot from that experience though, and if something like that happened today I would absolutely escalate things as far as I could. I was naive in that I did not get a contract signed before I started. The woman who run the place took advantage of me. She knew it was my first job......

OP is 100% absolutely getting scammed here. It does not take 9 months to get a contract, and being asked to say that you started in june is them trying to make sure OP cannot get the pay backdated...

Nope according to contract law a verbal contract is still a contract but how easy it will be to prove is another matter entirely
Reply 15
Original post by WazzWazz98
Nope according to contract law a verbal contract is still a contract but how easy it will be to prove is another matter entirely

so in reality there is no contract as you can't prove anything.
Original post by ANM775
so in reality there is no contract as you can't prove anything.

Just because you can't prove it doesn't mean it didn't happen
There may not be any compensation due if it cannot be proven but there was a contract in reality
Reply 17
Original post by V℮rsions
Jesus Christ please save this generation for we are DOOMED. :adore:

Make a tik tok video suggesting it's a bad idea to publicise certain things with a tik tok video? :getmecoat:
Reply 18
So I’ve been working at a place since October 2020 and now it’s June 2021
I only work for 2 hours a week.
I’ve worked for a long time and I’ve not got paid once as my employer was like we’re sorting out the employment contracts and it’s gonna take a little time for us to start paying you.
But she told me to write that I’ve started to work from 1st of June 2021 when I’ve actually been working since October 2020.
What can I say to her in the nicest way possible to ask for all the money I should be getting for all the hours I worked since October 2020? The staff is really friendly and we all work collectively so I don’t want any awkwardness.
Also what happens if she refuses to pay me and says she’s only going to pay me for the hours that I worked from starting from 1st of June 2021?
Surely this is not allowed right?

Which kind of organisation do you work for, how many people work there and what does your job involve?
Reply 19
Yes i am going to ask them next week after seeing the responses.

If you haven't got an actual contract, have you got anything in writing to show when you started, like an offer letter, signed and dated TORs, training records, clocking-in records?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending