The Student Room Group

TCU rankings

Some universities have plummited to below par, such as Manchester, Birmingham and Notts. This is for subjects for law/Econ which are where the universities matter the most. I have firmed manchester. Should I be worried?
Original post by Nobalitude
Some universities have plummited to below par, such as Manchester, Birmingham and Notts. This is for subjects for law/Econ which are where the universities matter the most. I have firmed manchester. Should I be worried?

No
Reply 2
Original post by BenRyan99
No

What makes you say that. For Economics as an example, the targets are in the top 5 in the table excluding st Andrews so surely the tables are pretty accurate. The same applies to the top universities for Law which are all in the top 10. I'm worried now.
Original post by Nobalitude
What makes you say that. For Economics as an example, the targets are in the top 5 in the table excluding st Andrews so surely the tables are pretty accurate. The same applies to the top universities for Law which are all in the top 10. I'm worried now.

If you don't know how the league tables are calculated, why would you be worried by what they say. Once you actually start looking into the methodology used then it's clear that they use lots of indicators and only a small number are good ones.

Instead you should be picking your uni based on how employers view the Econ/Law departments. Firms don't use the league tables to hire grads, city recruiters already know which universities produce strong grads. This is why I really wouldn't be worried if your uni moves down a couple of places. I'm not sure which one you're referring to but I really recommend you to look into the league table methodologies if you want to stop being worried. You'll realise how useless they are and hopefully that'll settle some nerves.

With regards to how good the Econ/Law departments actually are at teaching, how rigorous the courses are and how well they place grads into good jobs, I'm afraid can only speak for economics. Nottingham is in the group after the top5 so is broadly ranked 6-9th. Manchester (I'm assuming BSc?) Would rank in the next group, broadly 10-15th. Birmingham is lower, maybe 15-20th.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending