The Student Room Group

A mum with a daughter that wants to do physical geography

I am interested in general feedback as to a fun and down to earth course for a daughter who would like to do physical geography and nice halls any suggestions for 2022

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by SeoMack
I am interested in general feedback as to a fun and down to earth course for a daughter who would like to do physical geography and nice halls any suggestions for 2022

Does your daughter have any preferences as to where she would like to go?
Reply 2
Not really as most of the courses appear to be combined, her brother thinks she should choose a Russell Uni like Edinburgh or Southampton but we are starting with a blank sheet of paper so interested in feedback
Original post by SeoMack
Not really as most of the courses appear to be combined, her brother thinks she should choose a Russell Uni like Edinburgh or Southampton but we are starting with a blank sheet of paper so interested in feedback

The Russell Group is a lobby group for research funding.

Whilst it is true that RG universities tend to be the older & more prestigious universities it is a cause of correlation not causation and that their are lots of excellent non RG universities. It would be silly to choose a university because it is a Russell Group.
Reply 4
Original post by SeoMack

Do you think that she would like the bustle of London or would she prefer somewhere a bit quieter?

Is Oxbridge a possibility?
It's important to base any decision around both modules and location, rather than simply whether it's a RG University, as their are many excellent Universities outside this category.
Original post by SeoMack

I think Exeter has some of the nicest halls and it's popular for Geography. However, your daughter should be looking at the modules and the ways she'll be assessed. Does she want a campus uni? What sort of place does she want to live in? What grades might she be predicted?

https://www.ucas.com/explore/subjects/geography
Reply 7
Original post by Kerzen
Do you think that she would like the bustle of London or would she prefer somewhere a bit quieter?

Is Oxbridge a possibility?

Oxbridge not a possibility we live in London, predicted grades probably AAB
Reply 8
Original post by mnot
The Russell Group is a lobby group for research funding.

Whilst it is true that RG universities tend to be the older & more prestigious universities it is a cause of correlation not causation and that their are lots of excellent non RG universities. It would be silly to choose a university because it is a Russell Group.

Only wants Physical Geography most seemed combined with Geology
Reply 9
Original post by Muttley79
I think Exeter has some of the nicest halls and it's popular for Geography. However, your daughter should be looking at the modules and the ways she'll be assessed. Does she want a campus uni? What sort of place does she want to live in? What grades might she be predicted?

https://www.ucas.com/explore/subjects/geography

AAB, she just wants friendly people which I guess everywhere not super party heads like Manchester her brother there and they party too much, wants to join Tennis Team, loves the sea and open air
Original post by SeoMack
Only wants Physical Geography most seemed combined with Geology

Im not drilled into differing geography faculties. But you might have to dig a little deeper then course name.

It might be best to look at the course structures and mandatory & optional modules to see which courses best offer what your daughter is interested in.

Its not unusual for course titles to be fairly broad.
(edited 2 years ago)
She would probably benefit from a few open days to get a feel for a range of different unis and learn more about how different places structure their course. There may still be a lot of virtual open days going on which is useful as you can see lots of places without having to do all the travel. Maybe her college or somewhere nearby will be hosting a ucas fair in the future too, if possible to attend one.

It might be useful for her to think about what sort of uni environment and course she wants and then can narrow down the list. Does she want to be in London or not, a big city or quiet town, even by the seaside? A city based uni or a self contained campus? Any hobbies that have active societies or clubs? Would she want a place that guarantees halls style accommodation nearby or is she happy to find some flatmates in a houseshare for some or all of the years? Would she even rather live at home?

In terms of the course does she have particular favourite topics within the subject and do any courses include more modules in these? Does the uni offer any work placement / experience or cover topics more useful for future employment? Does she do better in exams or coursework? How much student support is on offer?

There is no overall best uni as different people will do better in different environments. She needs to research her options and figure out what's best for her.
Original post by SeoMack

Hi SeoMack

It is great that your daughter is thinking about studying Geography. I should imagine there are quite a lot of places that offer Geography. We have several choices in the field (if you forgive the pun) and you can see them here https://www.hull.ac.uk/faculties/subjects/geography , our accommodation in Hull is mostly very new and very nice, so have a look.

As others have said I would start a list of pros and cons of each place, and also a list of what she wants and doesn't want from a University - Such as campus or city centre, costs of accommodation, ease of getting home (if she plans on doing so regularly), big or small Uni? etc etc. You can also check the rankings, course contents and structure. She may also want to do a placement for a year or study abroad, these are all things you can consider.

Many students can tell you about their experience at the individual places, however they may not have anything to compare it to! At Hull we have an ask a student scheme and one of our Geographer's is Kaiah, who would be happy to chat https://www.hull.ac.uk/study/ask-a-student

I hope that helps as a start!

Best of luck

Chris
University of Hull Student Rep
Has she any interest in geology?

Exeter and Southampton spring to mind for me.

Would also look at Lancaster and Bangor.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by SeoMack
AAB, she just wants friendly people which I guess everywhere not super party heads like Manchester her brother there and they party too much, wants to join Tennis Team, loves the sea and open air

Exeter is worth a look - beautiful campus and a bus ride fron the sea.
Reply 15
Original post by Muttley79
Exeter is worth a look - beautiful campus and a bus ride fron the sea.

Is Physical Geography on the Falmouth Campus is that as nice?
Reply 16
Original post by SeoMack

I note from looking at Geography courses on UCAS that four Welsh universities seem to offer degrees in 'Physical Geography'.

https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2022/physical-geography-bsc

https://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/science/geography/bsc-physical-geography-f840/

https://courses.aber.ac.uk/undergraduate/physical-geography/

https://www.bangor.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/2022/f840-physical-geography-and-oceanography
Reply 17
Original post by SeoMack

If she loves the sea and the open air, something she might enjoy may be membership of a University Royal Naval Unit while she is at Uni.

They have lots of fun and go to sea regularly, including on a long trip during the summer. Each Unit has its own Archer class vessel nearby.

I think that she would meet people with interests similar to her own there.

There are examples here on the Wales page of the kind of things they do:

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/our-organisation/the-fighting-arms/surface-fleet/patrol/archer-class/hms-express/wales-urnu/what-we-do

There is no obligation to join the Navy afterwards, although quite a few of the Uni students do.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/our-organisation/bases-and-stations/training-establishments/university-royal-naval-units
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by SeoMack
Is Physical Geography on the Falmouth Campus is that as nice?

There are virtual tours - I've not been to that campus but Cornwall is beautiful and coastal!
Original post by SeoMack

Hi there,
It's great to see that you're doing your research, there is so much information out there and it's important to find out whatever you can before making a decision.
Bangor University is known for being a very warm and friendly city and University, we are also located on the north Wales coast so plenty of sea and open air! We have a Virtual Open Day on Saturday if you and your daughter are interested in finding out a bit more about Bangor and our Geography courses - you can register online here.
You can find all of our Geography courses here if you want to have a look :smile:

Please let me know if you have any questions at all about Bangor University, I would be happy to help :smile:
Anna

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending