The Student Room Group

Cant pick dissertation topic

My supervisor has told us that we have a week to decide our topic and I have no idea what I want to do. They told us that we have complete choice in what we want to focus on and because of this I feel like I'm so lost. I've tried asking for help but I can't seem to get in contact with them. How did you decide your dissertation topic?
Original post by tfh
My supervisor has told us that we have a week to decide our topic and I have no idea what I want to do. They told us that we have complete choice in what we want to focus on and because of this I feel like I'm so lost. I've tried asking for help but I can't seem to get in contact with them. How did you decide your dissertation topic?

Read some (recent) papers that interest you.

Are their any questions this work doesnt answer, or areas for expansion. Your basically trying to build off in a positive direction.
Original post by tfh

Hey @tfh,

I've just finished my second year and so I've just had to come up with a diss topic too! The way I personally did it was made a list of things that I was interested in around my degree, like things I had learnt throughout the year and wanted to know more about, or things that I didn't know about but wanted to. The good thing about a diss is that you can go wherever you want with it really - as long as it is related to your degree topic! I then used this list to narrow down my options to things that would be sensible to do a diss on - some of my topics were just too narrow or would have been difficult to find resources on etc. I then chose my favorite thing from there (what I was actually excited to study).

I know it can be a super scary thing to decide, but remember that you can alter your topic as you go along!

I hope this helps!

Daisy
2nd year politics and international relations student
Original post by tfh

Maybe pick a broad field of interest, read around and see if there are any more specific areas within that field that catch your eye, and think of a question you'd like to answer.
Original post by tfh

Hey!

If you want to have an easier time writing your dissertation, I would definitely recommend a topic you are highly interested in or passionate about. It may feel difficult to choose a great topic at first, but I believe you can definitely do it before the week ends! I would recommend you start thinking about all the things you have learnt in your subject thus far, whether that was at uni or you learnt about it elsewhere. There are surely multiple topics you have learnt about which interested you more than others, or topics that spurred questions that you never had the time or opportunity to research and find the answer for. Or maybe, there is a topic you were always wondering about - a dissertation is a great way to explore that topic. If you are still unsure what to choose, try looking through essays you have written before, particularly the ones that received the highest marks and try to go from there.

Hope this helped and good luck! :smile:

Tereza
Coventry University
International Relations Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending