The Student Room Group

Struggling with Year 12.

I am currently on the verge of being dropped out from taking 2/3 BTEC’s I take.

I am very behind in two of my classes because of my attendance. I have difficulty attending sixth form... I don’t want to go into too much detail about that.

But I feel very lost at the moment and don’t know if continuing to stay at home and play catch-up will change the fact that I have already missed the deadlines.

My teachers have already emphasised that the work I had managed to send them when I had opened up to them about how much I was struggling, past the deadline was “no where near a pass mark”.

I feel very conflicted on whether it’s worth it for me to continue struggling and sending these assignments in to preserve my spot in those subjects.

In all honesty I no longer have a sense of direction. Nothing catches my attention or interests me anymore. I don’t want to fail sixth form completely - not like that is possible anyway since technically I have to remain in sixth form until I am 18.

I don’t want to drop-out anyway. I don’t want to restart Year 12 either. My school have offered to let me continue to taking the one BTEC I am passing in... but I wouldn’t be able to go to University with one BTEC since it’s only equivalent to one A-Level.

I don’t know if I want to go to University entirely... just yet. But I would at least like to get through Year 12-13 and make a decision later on regardless of whether it’s too late or not. I don’t want to fail but I am already failing. I feel very stuck and don’t know how to plead or build my grades/marks.

Apologies if this makes 0 sense. I am typing this up in a rush because I need urgent suggestions.

What should I do?
Reply 1
If i may ask what BTEC subjects are you currently studying? I am also in year 12 studying Applied Science, IT and Music.
Well if I'm honest, it would seem that taking one BTEC and carrying onto year 13 with no hopes of getting in uni seems like a pretty bad idea unless you don't want to go uni. I would tell you to retake the year, which seems like the best option for you right now. So, that you can get higher grades because normally ensuring that you are up to date and doing well in year 12, will impact how you understand year 13 content. Which is usually much harder.
Original post by _Ippo1
If i may ask what BTEC subjects are you currently studying? I am also in year 12 studying Applied Science, IT and Music.

I am taking Graphics, Health and social care and IT!
Reply 4
Do you know what you want to do when you grow up? Or what you want to study at uni or in the future? I would say you should reconsider your decision on not wanting to retake the year as being taken off 2/3 of your subjects will put you in a tough situation as your subjects are only equivalent to one A-level. You If you know what you want to do in the future you should look for another sixth form "college" as they provide a much better environment than a normal sixth form at a secondary school. look for a sixth form college in your area and do the BTEC course you like the most or is best suited to you.

I am also in a similar situation as you in terms of not having being suited to the subjects I am doing, I am planning to retake year 12 at a sixth form college doing A-levels instead of BTECs because i did not suit the style or format of study for BTECs at all and i struggled with coursework and constantly. I prefer A-levels because you know exactly what to revise for and you can plan out your revision instead of being bombarded with deadlines by different teachers.

I hope this helped:smile:
Original post by _Ippo1
Do you know what you want to do when you grow up? Or what you want to study at uni or in the future? I would say you should reconsider your decision on not wanting to retake the year as being taken off 2/3 of your subjects will put you in a tough situation as your subjects are only equivalent to one A-level. You If you know what you want to do in the future you should look for another sixth form "college" as they provide a much better environment than a normal sixth form at a secondary school. look for a sixth form college in your area and do the BTEC course you like the most or is best suited to you.

I am also in a similar situation as you in terms of not having being suited to the subjects I am doing, I am planning to retake year 12 at a sixth form college doing A-levels instead of BTECs because i did not suit the style or format of study for BTECs at all and i struggled with coursework and constantly. I prefer A-levels because you know exactly what to revise for and you can plan out your revision instead of being bombarded with deadlines by different teachers.

I hope this helped:smile:

Thank you for acknowledging my post!! I did read this as soon as you replied 4 days ago, but I was in denial and not really open to the idea of even thinking about looking for a sixth form college to go to...

As for ambition and goals... I literally no longer have any LOL. I had a few ideas of careers I would have been interested in doing specifically something IT or Graphics related- nothing in the Health and Social Care field to be honest. For example something like IT Management or Graphic Book Cover Designing.

I don’t feel capable of being able to manage studying or doing simply anything more and I’m not quite sure what to do because I can’t necessarily speak to anyone about how I am feeling at the moment. So I worry that even if I do end up having to move to a sixth form college or even take A-Level subjects, I would still perform really badly. If that makes any sense?

I’m still not in the best mindset at the moment but thank you for your reply, you helped me out a lot!! At least I know I am not the only one going through a similar thing :smile:

I hope you end up retaking year 12 and having a much better experience!
Hey I am also in year 12 currently thinking about redoing and one thing I would say is go for it It’s better redoing and possibly getting great grades in 3 alevels then carrying on staying year 13 with one Btec because you won’t have that much doors open to you once you finish year 13 And don’t think redoing is bad as you will have an advantage you know how to deal with the post16 stress well and will prevent the same problem to happen again Dont be in a rush just take your time especially in this covid life

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending