The Student Room Group

Nursing placement- NOONE chats to me

I’m a first year nurse on my first placement at the moment.

While I’m new to it all I’m about to be 21 so I’m not super young and definitely have coped very well socially in adult environments before !! I used to be the supervisor at my waitressing job and was friends with everyone. I’m chatty and sociable.

However, no one is talking to me. I’m with my mentor everyday and she’s a good nurse and good at teaching me things. I have no complaints in that area. However, she nor anyone else will engage me in conversation.

My mentor especially is down right rude. She sighs and gives one word answers when I try to chat. But it’s not like she’s socially inept or rude, because as soon as anyone else comes to talk she smiles and chats. It’s just me and basically every member of staff is the same.

During breaks they sit in silence on their phone, or chat to eachother but never to me. On night shift when it’s quiet it’s either silence or having conversations and then if I ever try and join in a conversation just rude one word answers

A few CSW have had conversations with me and I’ve appreciated it so much but mainly people don’t even ask my name. No ones asked anything about me in 3 weeks I just think it’s so rude and dejecting.

I’ve genuinely never ever experienced people with such distain for talking to me in my life. It’s down right bizarre. I worry I’ve done something to offend them but how on earth could I on day 1 first placement

I’m on night shift 4 in a row at the moment and feeling tired and sad so I think that’s why it’s upsetting me I just want to know if anyone else has this experience? Is this normal ? Should I not be expecting conversation as a student ?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by pink00

While I’m new to it all I’m about to be 21 so I’m not super young and definitely have coped very well socially in adult environments before !! I used to be the supervisor at my waitressing job and was friends with everyone. I’m chatty and sociable.

However, no one is talking to me. I’m with my mentor everyday and she’s a good nurse and good at teaching me things. I have no complaints in that area. However, she nor anyone else will engage me in conversation.

My mentor especially is down right rude. She sighs and gives one word answers when I try to chat. But it’s not like she’s socially inept or rude, because as soon as anyone else comes to talk she smiles and chats. It’s just me and basically every member of staff is the same.

During breaks they sit in silence on their phone, or chat to eachother but never to me. On night shift when it’s quiet it’s either silence or having conversations and then if I ever try and join in a conversation just rude one word answers

A few CSW have had conversations with me and I’ve appreciated it so much but mainly people don’t even ask my name. No ones asked anything about me in 3 weeks I just think it’s so rude and dejecting.

I’ve genuinely never ever experienced people with such distain for talking to me in my life. It’s down right bizarre. I worry I’ve done something to offend them but how on earth could I on day 1 first placement

I’m on night shift 4 in a row at the moment and feeling tired and sad so I think that’s why it’s upsetting me I just want to know if anyone else has this experience? Is this normal ? Should I not be expecting conversation as a student ?

Hi

So I'm presuming you doing adult nursing training !!

I'm registered NHS adult nurse and Midwife, and this sort of behavior you mentioned isn't unusual within nursing.
What I found away back in my student days was nurses wouldn't talk to students but the auxiliary or HCA staff did and mentor.
It's unfortunately uneccessely this as shouldn't be happenening to you or anyone else because you are there to learn things from them but only way to learn is communication which isn't happenening with what you said.

You need to speak more and ask your mentor / placement supervisor things and get her to answer you or ask her why she ain't explaining things more just like rest of staff on ward is doing .
Have you sat down weekly with your placement mentor/supervisor to discuss things you done and what you need to do for any improvements.

So yes you should be expecting communications from them all not only mentor as you should be able to ask anyone questions on things.

Don't worry as each placement is completely different ok, there's good & bad one's everywhere but you'll get good one's which you'll enjoy more.

I think at times that a qualified nurse don't want to be tied down with a student nurse annoying her/him all the time but what they forget is they to was in your shoes not so long ago.
I was doing mentoring of students but I went on to do midwifing via shortened top-up course in late 2018 and completed it last year and some of the staff there was similar to what you talked about and I just asked them why you's being ignorant in ignoring me and after that they spoke to me, they actually thought I was a first year student what they responded. Unfortunately I was just new to nursing as had many years behind me.
Then came covid19 last year to sort of spoil things but I landed up on ICU dealing with covid19 patients and due to last few years I haven't mentored students but getting back to it.
Reply 2
Original post by Allyson2020
Hi

So I'm presuming you doing adult nursing training !!

I'm registered NHS adult nurse and Midwife, and this sort of behavior you mentioned isn't unusual within nursing.
What I found away back in my student days was nurses wouldn't talk to students but the auxiliary or HCA staff did and mentor.
It's unfortunately uneccessely this as shouldn't be happenening to you or anyone else because you are there to learn things from them but only way to learn is communication which isn't happenening with what you said.

You need to speak more and ask your mentor / placement supervisor things and get her to answer you or ask her why she ain't explaining things more just like rest of staff on ward is doing .
Have you sat down weekly with your placement mentor/supervisor to discuss things you done and what you need to do for any improvements.

So yes you should be expecting communications from them all not only mentor as you should be able to ask anyone questions on things.

Don't worry as each placement is completely different ok, there's good & bad one's everywhere but you'll get good one's which you'll enjoy more.

I think at times that a qualified nurse don't want to be tied down with a student nurse annoying her/him all the time but what they forget is they to was in your shoes not so long ago.
I was doing mentoring of students but I went on to do midwifing via shortened top-up course in late 2018 and completed it last year and some of the staff there was similar to what you talked about and I just asked them why you's being ignorant in ignoring me and after that they spoke to me, they actually thought I was a first year student what they responded. Unfortunately I was just new to nursing as had many years behind me.
Then came covid19 last year to sort of spoil things but I landed up on ICU dealing with covid19 patients and due to last few years I haven't mentored students but getting back to it.

Hi !

Thankyou for replying, I’ve just had my interim feedback from her and she said I’m professional, very friendly and have fitted well into the team- I’m totally suprised as she’s so rude, but it’s made me feel better. Maybe the nurses I’m with just don’t have a friendly manner, but they must not be picking up on anything being wrong so I’m happy with that
Original post by pink00

Hi pink00
I'm a registered midwife of 2 years now,

I feel for you with the silence treatment and they ignoring you as I was in same situation back in 2016 when I started my midwifing degree, everyone at university was second to none as can't fault them but was total different story when I did my first placement on maternity ward as nobody would talk to me or another student but only told us what to do for obs etc but I didn't accept that from them as I asked why aren't we getting taught the stuff we supposed to do as it impossible to do things without any communication from staff, then once I asked that a staff member started kicking & pushing me each time they passed me so all I will say on that outcome was I dealt with it outside of the hospital.

As a student nurse we are there to obviously learn things not be treated like wed kids.
Nice that some staff talked to you but they all should had but remember we can't force any one to talk to us but as things in nursing depends on communicating with one another then they were wrong in my opinion.

See next placement you do later in year you'll probably see better staff who'll defo help you. Each placement is different and how we are treated by staff on them to.
Original post by pink00
Hi !

Thankyou for replying, I’ve just had my interim feedback from her and she said I’m professional, very friendly and have fitted well into the team- I’m totally suprised as she’s so rude, but it’s made me feel better. Maybe the nurses I’m with just don’t have a friendly manner, but they must not be picking up on anything being wrong so I’m happy with that

Wow you got a nice feedback from them which you probably didn't expect on what you said previously on things, ignore the rudeness as long as you getting good feedback from her okay as this is main thing for you.
Hope at end of placement you'll get a good report from her when signing of your placement work for you. Well done so far and keep it up xx
Hope you don't mind me saying this but they might just be too tired to talk, especially on night shifts! I was doing a PGCE and felt so exhausted by it that on breaks/lunches etc I just wanted to sit quietly on my own 🙂
Original post by pink00
Hi !

Hi
Thanks for reply back.

With what you said about your feedback it seem you did something right in her eyes which is surprising after what you said in your original post.
Unfortunately her being rude is just part of the job we have to put up with as students but it also could be us qualified nurses to getting it like,

For you on this 1st placement is to learn as much as possible in time you on it and don't worry about how bad mannered the qualified nurses are because you'll never see them again hopefully as a student nurse as you'll be on different placements each time.

If she saying you are very friendly, professional & fitted well into things as part of the team on the ward then accept it although you had bad experience not getting taught or answers to things ok. I think they forgotten things like not picking up on anything wrong with you which is really unprofessional to them not doing so but hey not your fault they haven't okay.

Like #5 said on staff being tired I would intend to disagree especially when you first start your shift you are wide awake & aware of things and I tend to feel bit tired about last few hours of long 12 hours shift especially in this heat we having. 😃

If anything I can help you with you are free to PM message me anytime ok. X
Original post by pink00

So basically you are annoyance that is adding to there workload they don't want and are not paid any extra for. in addition this comes at the end of one pandemic and the start of a whole other mess with a huge backlog of everything that is not covid. in addition you also seem to be discovering the realities of the nhs it is a cutthroat workplace same as any other. after 15 years working it i can assure you when your qualified and useful attitudes will change some what and you will be able to work normally
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending