The Student Room Group

Would these A levels be accepted for computer science at top unis?

I chose A level maths, BTEC IT and A level physics for sixth form and I want to do computer science at a top university (UCL, Cambridge, etc), but I’m worried I wont do very well in A level physics so I might change it to geography. Would A level maths, BTEC IT and A level geography be accepted?
Cambridge do not accept BTEC - they are not academic enough for their intensive style of degree.
"BTECs don’t provide an appropriate preparation for most Cambridge courses, where the emphasis is more academic than vocational. As such, these qualifications can’t, unless otherwise stated, be used to replace the required or highly desirable A Level subjects listed for each course."
If you are aiming at Cambridge, you need to be doing 3 A levels and expecting A*A*A minimum.
Course details - https://www.cst.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate
Entry requirements - https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/computer-science

Other top Universities will all have different policies about BTEC - most will accept it alongside 2 A levels but will require any required subjects to be A levels. Check with each University before you apply. You will also need to write a relevant PS with good examples of your academic/higher level interest in Computer Science.
Original post by Hiim
I chose A level maths, BTEC IT and A level physics for sixth form and I want to do computer science at a top university (UCL, Cambridge, etc), but I’m worried I wont do very well in A level physics so I might change it to geography. Would A level maths, BTEC IT and A level geography be accepted?

BTECs are no good for a decent university. You really need as much maths as possible, so maths, FM, physics or Computer Science are ideal. Geography really isn't relevant to an application for CompSci.
Original post by Hiim

I'm at 'mid-RG' uni doing computer science and I know a few people who have done A-level Maths, Physics and BTEC IT. Typically people have A level Maths, another science and another subject. I did A level French because I didn't want to do 3 science-y A levels.
Original post by Hiim

no further maths as a 4th? not essential but CompSci at uni level is on another level to A levels so i'd hope you'd feel comfortable enough doing it on top of your other subjects..
For "top" CS courses (e.g. Oxbridge, Imperial, Edinburgh, Warwick, arguably UCL as well) A-level Further Maths would be very strongly recommended even if not actually required. They don't require or prefer any background in CS or programming before starting their courses, but a strong background in maths is essential.

Otherwise as noted they would prefer generally academic qualifications/subjects anyway. If your school offers A-level CS, that would probably be a better option than a BTEC in IT for those kinds of unis. Likewise you really should look into taking FM if possible, if you are aiming for those unis - if your school doesn't offer it the Advanced Mathematics Support Programme (https://amsp.org.uk/) can provide support in allowing you to take A-level FM.
Reply 6
Why "arguably" UCL? I though it had one of the best CS departments in UK?
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending