The Student Room Group

switching from one course to another in ucas clearing

Hey, so i have currently applied for dental hygiene and therapy but on results day I will be applying for economics and finance with my grades to a different uni. I have already written my personal statement for dent. hyg. and ther. and was wondering if I'd have to write another one for econ and finan.?? will they make me write another one or just take the one i already have written?
If it’s dental hygiene and therapy you really want to do then you’d be better reapplying for the 2022 cycle, but for your current question:
UCAS will use your current personal statement and automatically send this to universities, however you can contact the uni directly and ask if they will take an alternative personal statement :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by amber0321
If it’s dental hygiene and therapy you really want to do then you’d be better reapplying for the 2022 cycle, but for your current question:
UCAS will use your current personal statement and automatically send this to universities, however you can contact the uni directly and ask if they will take an alternative personal statement :smile:

Hi, thanks for the response. I asked them and they said if they need one then they'd ask and give me some time, but they arent saying how long i'd have to write the actual ps. its stressing me out cuz i dont want to go through the whole process of writing another ps again. and also i'm going to switch courses to econ and finance this year because i dont want to do dent. hyg. and therapy as i've changed my mind
Original post by nebula2324
Hi, thanks for the response. I asked them and they said if they need one then they'd ask and give me some time, but they arent saying how long i'd have to write the actual ps. its stressing me out cuz i dont want to go through the whole process of writing another ps again. and also i'm going to switch courses to econ and finance this year because i dont want to do dent. hyg. and therapy as i've changed my mind

There’s very little chance they’ll ask for another PS. They just won’t have time to review them during clearing.

Writing a new PS is still a good exercise, as it may solidify your thoughts as to whether the new subject is genuinely the one for you.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
There’s very little chance they’ll ask for another PS. They just won’t have time to review them during clearing.

Writing a new PS is still a good exercise, as it may solidify your thoughts as to whether the new subject is genuinely the one for you.

Yes that does seem to make sense and i think it definitely will help structure my thoughts if i put them down somewhere. Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it
In my experience applying through clearing I have been asked twice to send a PS over by email before as part of a verbal offer, but that was quite a few years ago and may have just been exceptional.
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
In my experience applying through clearing I have been asked twice to send a PS over by email before as part of a verbal offer, but that was quite a few years ago and may have just been exception

how long did they give you to write the ps?
how long did they give you to write the ps?

I mean it was in clearing so I got the offer one day and sent the PS the next I think, because I wanted to confirm the offer/place before the course filled up (in retrospect for the courses in question, unnecessary, but may be more of an issue for more competitive courses/unis)
Reply 8
Original post by artful_lounger
I mean it was in clearing so I got the offer one day and sent the PS the next I think, because I wanted to confirm the offer/place before the course filled up (in retrospect for the courses in question, unnecessary, but may be more of an issue for more competitive courses/unis)

do you mean you got the verbal offer on one day then wrote up a ps and sent it the next day?
(edited 2 years ago)
do you mean you got the verbal offer on one day then wrote up a ps and sent it the next day?

Yeah, because part of them confirming the offer in UCAS was contingent on me sending that over to them. Of course, they may not ask for one at all - they also didn't tell me it had to be done in a day, I just wanted to do get it done so I could confirm my place and stop worrying about ringing up unis in clearing!
Reply 10
Aah OK, thanks for explaining 🙂

If you know now what courses you want to switch to then you can write your new PS now before results day.

It’s sensible to do it in advance instead of leaving it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending