The Student Room Group

Age requirement for medicine help!!

I will be 3 months off at the start of my medicine course. A lot of unis require you to be 18 before the course commences/ 1 week after/ 1 month after - is there a possibility of unis making an exemption on the age part (since its only 3 months and I really don't want deferred entry) and which ones would be those?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Which university are you going to? Different universities have different policies so knowing which med school you're going to will help.

Also contact the university directly ASAP and see what they say.
As above you should contact the university in question. Normally they will not make exemptions if it's a requirement because the requirement is due to clinical contact very early in the course (i.e. the start) and for various reasons (I imagine largely legal and insurance related) you wouldn't be able to take part in those activities if you were under the age of 18 - but if you don't take part in those activities, you can't earn the medical degree. Hence, the requirement.

If your medical school does require you to be 18 or over at the start of the course you will probably need to discuss deferring for a year with them. Or giving up your offer and trying your chances in clearing for a medical school that doesn't have that requirement - assuming there is one.
Original post by SyedN
Which university are you going to? Different universities have different policies so knowing which med school you're going to will help.

Also contact the university directly ASAP and see what they say.

I still am yet to decide on my university choices due to not having AS or UCAT grades but I did contact Cardiff (a college I'm looking into and got a relatively vague reply).
Original post by artful_lounger
As above you should contact the university in question. Normally they will not make exemptions if it's a requirement because the requirement is due to clinical contact very early in the course (i.e. the start) and for various reasons (I imagine largely legal and insurance related) you wouldn't be able to take part in those activities if you were under the age of 18 - but if you don't take part in those activities, you can't earn the medical degree. Hence, the requirement.

If your medical school does require you to be 18 or over at the start of the course you will probably need to discuss deferring for a year with them. Or giving up your offer and trying your chances in clearing for a medical school that doesn't have that requirement - assuming there is one.

Tried contacting some unis and they just redirected me in a vague manner to their website. I was wondering if they asked to sign an agreement or policy from your parents/ guardians to allow you for clinical placements. I had also contacted an admissions agency, they said it's nothing to worry about, which is very weird. Also, do Uni's themselves recommend deferred entry, or do I have to apply myself?
Original post by medicalmayhem54
Tried contacting some unis and they just redirected me in a vague manner to their website. I was wondering if they asked to sign an agreement or policy from your parents/ guardians to allow you for clinical placements. I had also contacted an admissions agency, they said it's nothing to worry about, which is very weird. Also, do Uni's themselves recommend deferred entry, or do I have to apply myself?

Admissions agencies generally know nothing except how to fleece students and their parents out of money so that's nothing new.

As far as the advice you've gotten from medical schools, I would say take it and look at their websites - they usually state this pretty clearly (and I think most medical schools do have this requirement - @GANFYD might know of any exceptions?). The age requirement is not necessarily or only for your benefit, but for the patients that you would be spending time with in a clinical setting - telling them it's ok because your parents signed a waiver I think would probably make them even less happy about the situation. You can apply specifically for deferred entry, which I would recommend if you plan to apply to unis with that age requirement because it might even be a requirement of an offer they make and so if you fail to meet that requirement of the offer, you could just lose your offer without even being given the option of deferring.

You seem to be expecting a lot from medical schools, admissions teams, and patients to accommodate you, which is I think more than a little unrealistic, and I think you really need to start managing your expectations here a lot more. You are a very tiny potential cog in a very large healthcare machine. It would be far easier for medical schools to find any of the many other applicants who do meet their age requirements than to try and accommodate someone that doesn't, ditto NHS trusts offering the placements to medical schools suddenly being thrust into legal grey areas if not outright danger to try and fit you in.

So I think you really need to expect medical schools to be completely inflexible and offer zero help in that regard and consider it a bonus if any do indicate otherwise, than to be assuming it's possible and frustrated as you're finding out its not. You might also want to start planning what you would do during a deferred year if you go that route. Sorry to be blunt but, as above I think you are thinking of this purely from your own perspective and not all from the perspectives of all the individuals and organisations that are putting the entire medical training programme together on which you would be but one of many.
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
Admissions agencies generally know nothing except how to fleece students and their parents out of money so that's nothing new.

As far as the advice you've gotten from medical schools, I would say take it and look at their websites - they usually state this pretty clearly (and I think most medical schools do have this requirement - @GANFYD might know of any exceptions?). The age requirement is not necessarily or only for your benefit, but for the patients that you would be spending time with in a clinical setting - telling them it's ok because your parents signed a waiver I think would probably make them even less happy about the situation. You can apply specifically for deferred entry, which I would recommend if you plan to apply to unis with that age requirement because it might even be a requirement of an offer they make and so if you fail to meet that requirement of the offer, you could just lose your offer without even being given the option of deferring.

You seem to be expecting a lot from medical schools, admissions teams, and patients to accommodate you, which is I think more than a little unrealistic, and I think you really need to start managing your expectations here a lot more. You are a very tiny potential cog in a very large healthcare machine. It would be far easier for medical schools to find any of the many other applicants who do meet their age requirements than to try and accommodate someone that doesn't, ditto NHS trusts offering the placements to medical schools suddenly being thrust into legal grey areas if not outright danger to try and fit you in.

So I think you really need to expect medical schools to be completely inflexible and offer zero help in that regard and consider it a bonus if any do indicate otherwise, than to be assuming it's possible and frustrated as you're finding out its not. You might also want to start planning what you would do during a deferred year if you go that route. Sorry to be blunt but, as above I think you are thinking of this purely from your own perspective and not all from the perspectives of all the individuals and organisations that are putting the entire medical training programme together on which you would be but one of many.

Some med schools will accept under 18s (Scottish ones all do, i think, as the education system is slightly different up there, so many Scottish students are 17 when they go to uni).
My eldest went at 17 so we researched it quite carefully at the time (and they did indeed make us sign a parent's waiver!!), but like you say, nowhere will bend the rules to suit an individual applicant (he was about 3 weeks shy of 18).

@medicalmayhem54 have a look here, but do confirm with any you are interested in, as it may change - as pointed out, it is about clinical contact and mainly, the cost of insurance for <18s!
https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/minimum-age-requirements-for-medicine/

My advice would still be to defer and start when you are 18, that extra year of maturity makes a big difference
Original post by GANFYD
Some med schools will accept under 18s (Scottish ones all do, i think, as the education system is slightly different up there, so many Scottish students are 17 when they go to uni).
My eldest went at 17 so we researched it quite carefully at the time (and they did indeed make us sign a parent's waiver!!), but like you say, nowhere will bend the rules to suit an individual applicant (he was about 3 weeks shy of 18).

@medicalmayhem54 have a look here, but do confirm with any you are interested in, as it may change - as pointed out, it is about clinical contact and mainly, the cost of insurance for <18s!
https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/minimum-age-requirements-for-medicine/

My advice would still be to defer and start when you are 18, that extra year of maturity makes a big difference

Got ya, thank you!
Original post by medicalmayhem54
Thanks a lot! I do understand I was just hating the fact that I may have to spend an extra year for those 3 months.

Don't hate it! I know you feel frustrated but really a gap year is a brilliant opportunity, especially for students going onto do long courses. It's time to breath, recharge batteries and sorry to say it mature a bit! My youngest had a year out before starting vet med,and that year made an enormous difference. Her way of communicating, of dealing with problem situations in a work environment was radically different at the end of her gap year. She learnt important life skills ( as well as a bit of money) So don't worry about having to defer if indeed you do have to, you may find that your subsequent studies benefit from it.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending