The Student Room Group

I hate my braces!!

2nd day having my braces on is like a nightmare! I miss chicken soo much but every time I chew it my teeth hurt like hell
Anyone can relate 0w0
I can relate. I'm on day 2 of having my tongue pierced. I never thought I would miss real food but it took me like half an hour to eat a Mcdonalds' cheeseburger.

But I was supposed to get braces about 4 years ago (I'm now 18). I never got them because my mom didn't want me to get them. She also thought I didn't need them. My dad told me if it was up to him, I would have had braces when I was 14. I'm hoping to get them in the next few months. If you don't mind my asking...do you have appliances and how long is your sentence?
Haha thanks I can’t even have the cheese burger rn! Actually the time is not a limiting factor as my mom, which is much much older than me, is currently wearing a Invisalign (I’m having the normal metal braces tho) ! So just do what you want. Btw I’m 17 and the dentist said I need to wear it for 2 yrs
Original post by CinnamoneCon
Haha thanks I can’t even have the cheese burger rn! Actually the time is not a limiting factor as my mom, which is much much older than me, is currently wearing a Invisalign (I’m having the normal metal braces tho) ! So just do what you want. Btw I’m 17 and the dentist said I need to wear it for 2 yrs

Your welcome. I wish I could eat a burger more easily, lol. I'm ready to get braces sometime soon as I recently turned 18. The messed up thing is...my 14-year-old brother has braces and my 10-year-old sister is in interceptive treatment. Why couldn't f I had braces at my brother's age?

Don't worry, they say 2 years to nearly everyone. It's just the average, which takes into account all the lazy ##### who don't wear their elastics when prescribed etc. If you do exactly what you're asked to do, they'll quite likely be off much quicker.
Reply 5
I had a set too. Every time they would be tightened, i would really feel it every time i drank something hot or cold... OUCH!! But you will be pleased with the results!!! And you'll soon forget about them when they are off, Hang in there!!!
Original post by Rabbit2
I had a set too. Every time they would be tightened, i would really feel it every time i drank something hot or cold... OUCH!! But you will be pleased with the results!!! And you'll soon forget about them when they are off, Hang in there!!!

I don't think I'd like that feeling it every time I drank something hot or cold. Don't your teeth get used to adjustment pain over time?
Original post by catchrylie
I don't think I'd like that feeling it every time I drank something hot or cold. Don't your teeth get used to adjustment pain over time?

Now it’s been 4 days since I put braces on, and I just had some pizza. It still hurts but the pain will fade away i guess? Maybe it hurts again when it’s tightened but it’s not for me to worry now
Original post by Rabbit2

The result will be my only comfort haha
Original post by Nobody2u
Don't worry, they say 2 years to nearly everyone. It's just the average, which takes into account all the lazy ##### who don't wear their elastics when prescribed etc. If you do exactly what you're asked to do, they'll quite likely be off much quicker.

Hahaha thank you so much
I've had braces since March, it hurts for a week or so. They feel odd but you'll get used to it after a few months. They'll hurt for a week in random places after adjustments. Stick to soft foods and once they stop hurting, you should be good.
(edited 2 years ago)
Yep, first few days are the worst.
First time you get them on it will be about two weeks before the pain stops.
Each time you get them tightened it might take a day for the pain to subside. Take 2 paracetamol if it's bad.
Reply 12
2nd day having my braces on is like a nightmare! I miss chicken soo much but every time I chew it my teeth hurt like hell
Anyone can relate 0w0

You might hate them now but when you have straight teeth you will be happy for the experience
Now it’s been 4 days since I put braces on, and I just had some pizza. It still hurts but the pain will fade away i guess? Maybe it hurts again when it’s tightened but it’s not for me to worry now

It sounds a lot like my tongue piercing. I'm on day 4 and it's getting a lot better. I bought a flatbread pizza to have for lunch and I was able to eat a lot better and I don't sound as much like an idiot, lol. I still have some pain and a big ass crater where my top ball sits but it doesn't feel as bad.

I now have my first dentist appt set up for 12 August at 11 am. Whoohoo!
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest