The Student Room Group

folders at a level

hi! i'm starting sixth form in september and i always see people using folders instead of exercise books (like you do in year 11), and I was wondering why? i think i'd much prefer using an exercise book because folders seem big and clunky but there's probably a good reason! i'd appreciate any response!
Original post by reembot
hi! i'm starting sixth form in september and i always see people using folders instead of exercise books (like you do in year 11), and I was wondering why? i think i'd much prefer using an exercise book because folders seem big and clunky but there's probably a good reason! i'd appreciate any response!

From experience, the answer is that using a folder makes you feel very put together :wink: also I CBA to stick anything in my exercise books in lower school so having folders meant I could just hole-punch things and not have paper everywhere anymore (bliss). We were given most of our work in the form of loose sheets of paper, and you were trusted to take your own notes in class, so folders lent themselves well to this. Also, they're amazingly easy to organise!

A close friend of mine continued to work in exercise books at A-levels because that's what works for her, and her notes were always beautiful. She still works in exercise books during her masters. If you prefer exercise books then go for it! Teachers often don't care at A-level, and if they do care about how you organise your own notes then they have far too much time on their hands :wink:
(edited 2 years ago)
I found that at A level the content was less likely to be taught in order of the paper it is in or in the order of the specification so A levels make it easier to organise content in the right order.
We also had assessments in every subject once a fortnight from the start of year so exercise books would have looked really tatty if you had to stick all these in rather than just putting it in the assessments divider of a folder.
Also, the large amount of content means that you’d end up using so many exercise books per subject and it could get more confusing than having a few bigger folders
I had a friend who tried using exercise books and whenever I looked over at it during the lesson it would agitate me how messy it was

Hope this helps
Reply 3
Original post by Tessa Moltres
From experience, the answer is that using a folder makes you feel very put together :wink: also I CBA to stick anything in my exercise books in lower school so having folders meant I could just hole-punch things and not have paper everywhere anymore (bliss). We were given most of our work in the form of loose sheets of paper, and you were trusted to take your own notes in class, so folders lent themselves well to this. Also, they're amazingly easy to organise!

A close friend of mine continued to work in exercise books at A-levels because that's what works for her, and her notes were always beautiful. She still works in exercise books during her masters. If you prefer exercise books then go for it! Teachers often don't care at A-level, and if they do care about how you organise your own notes then they have far too much time on their hands :wink:

ahh that makes sense thanks for your help! i guess if there are many sheets and booklets it would be annoying to have to stick them in each time. good luck with whatever you're doing! :smile:
Original post by reembot

With sixth form, there is the emphasis on independent learning and the workload can be a lot more compared to GCSE. Simply due to the volume of content in most courses, its useful to have a folder to keep everything organised. If we just relied on using exercise books or notepads to keep everything then it would get messy cuz a lot of homework is worksheets or past questions.

I remember in year 13, I stopped putting stuff into my maths folders, I was getting lazy with organisation and the notepad was on the verge of exploding as it had all the work from all my subjects
Reply 5
Original post by SB1234567890
I found that at A level the content was less likely to be taught in order of the paper it is in or in the order of the specification so A levels make it easier to organise content in the right order.
We also had assessments in every subject once a fortnight from the start of year so exercise books would have looked really tatty if you had to stick all these in rather than just putting it in the assessments divider of a folder.
Also, the large amount of content means that you’d end up using so many exercise books per subject and it could get more confusing than having a few bigger folders
I had a friend who tried using exercise books and whenever I looked over at it during the lesson it would agitate me how messy it was

Hope this helps

yep that makes sense- there is a lot of content and you'd probably end up with a million exercise books lol. thank you for your help and good luck with any results you might be getting back soon! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by CurryCurry2468
With sixth form, there is the emphasis on independent learning and the workload can be a lot more compared to GCSE. Simply due to the volume of content in most courses, its useful to have a folder to keep everything organised. If we just relied on using exercise books or notepads to keep everything then it would get messy cuz a lot of homework is worksheets or past questions.

I remember in year 13, I stopped putting stuff into my maths folders, I was getting lazy with organisation and the notepad was on the verge of exploding as it had all the work from all my subjects

that makes perfect sense i've definitely been warned about the workload!- thanks and good luck!! :smile:
Original post by reembot

there's way more work at a level so it was easier to organise it.
also, we had a lot of loose sheets so it made it easier to put them in place at the end of the day/week.
i found using a file was easier to revise from.

my college didn't give us any exercise books or paper or anything, we had to get it all ourselves. if this is the same for you then i guess you could just use books if you prefer
Original post by reembot
yep that makes sense- there is a lot of content and you'd probably end up with a million exercise books lol. thank you for your help and good luck with any results you might be getting back soon! :smile:

Thanks (A level results on Tuesday)

Quick Reply

Latest