The Student Room Group

what countries have you visited and had bad memories of?

People talk about their favourite countries they've visited but I'm just curious to hear the opposite.

Scroll to see replies

Austria, Belgium, Holland, Northern Cyprus, Spain and Sweden.
Reply 2
Original post by londonmyst
Austria, Belgium, Holland, Northern Cyprus, Spain and Sweden.

wait why? I want to visit a few of those
France. Not a strongly negative experience, but there was nothing special about it and it seemed hugely overrated. I also felt like I was being stared at a lot for being an outsider, which I haven’t experienced in the same way elsewhere.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Mesopotamian.
France. Not a strongly negative experience, but there was nothing special about it and it seemed hugely overrated. I also felt like I was being stared at a lot for being an outsider, which I haven’t experienced in the same way elsewhere.

Agree with this, I also found Los Angeles very depressing for some reason.
Reply 5
Original post by Mesopotamian.

yes a lot of my friends have said similar things
I have only ever been to France and Lanzarote. I generally like Lanzarote, but the second time I went, I was 13 and pretty caught up in puberty so I couldn't really enjoy it. I didn't enjoy holidays at that age. Cornwall, and the last 2 times I went to Lanzarote I all remember as being boring and I just wanted to go home, but that was due to be being an antisocial p*ssy at that age. I'm really disappointed in myself for not being more willing to try new things at that age because I know if I went to either of those places now I'd like it. I recently went on holiday to Devon (which was also my first holiday without my parents) with a mate and I absolutely loved it, so I think I'd feel the same about Cornwall now considering it's fairly similar. I'd also enjoy Lanzarote now because weirdly enough Devon is actually somewhat similar, if not a bit more humid and wet.

I don't think it helped that the last 2 times we went to Lanzarote, we basically didn't do anything. We did all of the tourist attractions the first time I went when I was 9 (and I very much enjoyed it that time), so there wasn't anything to do. So I think I got bored of it fairly quickly. I'm the complete opposite of what I used to be, I love going to different places now.
Reply 7
wigan
Dubai. I don't have bad memories but I believe it's overrated.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Qxi.xli

my geography teacher went there too and so have I and she is from Singapore, it's so sad but the people at the shopping centre mistook her for a worker and told her to hold their bags, she was so shocked
Original post by gjd800
wigan
I'd forgotten about their sovereignty. :redface:
Original post by t0897
my geography teacher went there too and so have I and she is from Singapore, it's so sad but the people at the shopping centre mistook her for a worker and told her to hold their bags, she was so shocked

Aww no😭 Plus there's so many sexist laws in Dubai. It didn't sit right with me when I was visiting.
(edited 2 years ago)
Was on a coach trip once that stopped at a services in Switzerland.

Very overrated. Cost 25 Franks to go for a poo. :noway:
Reply 13
Original post by Qxi.xli
Aww no😭 Plus there's so many sexist laws in Dubai. It didn't sit right with me when I was visiting.

Yh the UAE makes me upset, it's meant to be a Muslim country but it's run by autocracy and goes against all Islamic teachings, quite sad.
Original post by Qxi.xli

I have no idea why anybody would want to go to Dubai. The entire city is just a messed up temple to consumerism and it's an environmental (and social) travesty. I genuinely cannot understand the appeal.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Plagioclase
I have no idea why anybody would want to go to Dubai. The entire city is just a messed up temple to consumerism and it's an environmental (and social) travesty. I genuinely cannot understand the appeal.

Yh I would never return
Reply 16
Original post by Plagioclase
There's no country I only have bad memories of, but there are cities - particularly Paris. Horrible place, would not recommend.

what is Paris like and why is it horrible? I haven't gone and don't intend to
Reply 17
Original post by 04MR17
Was on a coach trip once that stopped at a services in Switzerland.

Very overrated. Cost 25 Franks to go for a poo. :noway:

wowwww, but was Switzerland very beautiful? I have always wanted to go to their countryside
I'm seeing a lot of France in the replies and I agree. It's like an underlying passive aggression. I've had more outward offensive comments here in England though.
I'm a hijabi and black lol. Best of both worlds...
france, iraq, dubai, denmark, malasia, spain, wales, england, turkey :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest