The Student Room Group

Is it wise to do A Level Chemistry?

I didn't do well in Chemistry GCSE, and therefore did not take it for A Level.

I now have an interest in the healthcare field, should I take A Level Chemistry somewhere? Or is it not wise due to the subjects difficulty?
What did you get on it at GCSE? A level chemistry is quite tough. I’d recommend brushing up on your gcse skills first so everything is fresh in your memory.

Check what the university course requires and if it needs chemistry.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by CaptainDuckie
What did you get on it at GCSE? A level chemistry is quite tough. I’d recommend brushing up on your gcse skills first so everything is fresh in your memory.

I got a 5 in GCSE. I always wanted to do something healthcare related but my mere passes in GCSE held me back
Original post by Magneto25
I got a 5 in GCSE. I always wanted to do something healthcare related but my mere passes in GCSE held me back

Check the university course requirements and see if A level chemistry is needed
Reply 4
Healthcare is a very broad field. If you have an idea of what you want to do at Uni, check the entry requirements and see if Chemistry is required. If it isn't, I wouldn't suggest taking it as A-level Chemistry is very content-heavy with a good amount of maths knowledge required. It's never suggested to take A-level Chemistry if you weren't good at it in GCSE.
Reply 5
Original post by Kabzzzy
Healthcare is a very broad field. If you have an idea of what you want to do at Uni, check the entry requirements and see if Chemistry is required. If it isn't, I wouldn't suggest taking it as A-level Chemistry is very content-heavy with a good amount of maths knowledge required. It's never suggested to take A-level Chemistry if you weren't good at it in GCSE.

So it's definitely not doable in a gap year?

If not, I'll have to search for universities that don't list Chemistry as one of the requirements
Reply 6
Original post by Magneto25
So it's definitely not doable in a gap year?

If not, I'll have to search for universities that don't list Chemistry as one of the requirements

It's doable, it's just not recommended. But I think that's more for students going into A-levels. If you have a gap year to learn/study then it should be fine. What sort of course are you thinking of going for at Uni?
Reply 7
Chemistry is hard as balls. I was getting straight 9s at gcse and got 9s in the final exams and i ended out with a B at A-level, and thats with endless revision for it

Only take it if its needed or if you actually enjoy/are good at it
Unless you got a 6 or above at GCSE (B or above), then I'd advise not to. You can always go for Combined Science BTEC Extended Diploma, which does Biology, Chemistry and Physics I believe from memory, but I believe that requires you to have gotten at least a 6 (B grade in Science) at Secondary, or at least it did when I was at 6th form. Hope this helps
I don't think chemistry is a wise choice, no. If you want to do something in health care then maybe psychology or nursing or similar would be better than doing medicine.
Reply 10
Original post by Kabzzzy
It's doable, it's just not recommended. But I think that's more for students going into A-levels. If you have a gap year to learn/study then it should be fine. What sort of course are you thinking of going for at Uni?

I'm thinking something along the lines of Pharmacy, Optometry etc, however some don't have high pay. I'm just scoping options to see what I can actually do, as I am not sure yet.
Reply 11
Original post by Isame
Chemistry is hard as balls. I was getting straight 9s at gcse and got 9s in the final exams and i ended out with a B at A-level, and thats with endless revision for it

Only take it if its needed or if you actually enjoy/are good at it

Just seen this... Hmm I may reconsider but doing chemistry and getting a good grade would open many doors.

Quick Reply

Latest