The Student Room Group

Cardiff University A100 2022 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LidaH
Thanks for the info. If you dont mind could you share your Alevels?

A levels were A*AA and A in EPQ.
They look at GCSEs more though and I had 99999888A*A and it wasn't enough for interview
I thought cardiff was a safe choice!!! I cant believe that you didn’t get Interviewed. I’m predicted A*AA for A Level but get contextual offers bc of my postcode, and I had 8A* and 3A at GCSE. I’ve had 2900 in all of my mocks for UCAT too. Just hoping it’s enough.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by cazfranciss
I thought cardiff was a safe choice!!! I cant believe that you didn’t get Interviewed. I’m predicted A*AA for A Level but get contextual offers bc of my postcode, and I had 8A* and 3A at GCSE. I’ve had 2900 in all of my mocks for UCAT too. Just hoping it’s enough.

I don't really think any med school is a "safe" option for 2022. There's risks with everything. But your UCAT scores seem amazing. Good luck for the real thing - you'll smash it. You have amazing stats and are a competitive applicant! I hope it works out for you.
I agree to be honest, so many deferred entries it’s twice as competitive. Good luck to you too ! :smile: My UCAT is in 2 weeks so here’s hoping it goes well for me.
How strict is cardiff with age requirements. They state I have to be 18 by ~20 September, but I won't turn 18 until the 20th of November
Original post by anastasiaxet
How strict is cardiff with age requirements. They state I have to be 18 by ~20 September, but I won't turn 18 until the 20th of November

are you an international student ? because if you’re in the UK you would be in the year below us and wouldn’t be applying yet.

They are pretty strict with ages, but so are all other universities. It’s a funding and safeguarding thing.
are you an international student ? because if you’re in the UK you would be in the year below us and wouldn’t be applying yet.

They are pretty strict with ages, but so are all other universities. It’s a funding and safeguarding thing.

no im a uk student, i skipped a year so that's why i'll be 17 going into uni. thanks for the help !
no im a uk student, i skipped a year so that's why i'll be 17 going into uni. thanks for the help !

Wow that’s really cool ! i’ve never heard of anyone skipping a year before. Maybe contact the University admissions and explain that and ask if you’ll be considered ?
Reply 28

This is a requirement, which means you are required to meet it. They are not going to waive it, any more than if someone has the wrong A levels
Original post by GANFYD
This is a requirement, which means you are required to meet it. They are not going to waive it, any more than if someone has the wrong A levels

I agree with you. However, OP said they had skipped a year maybe there is some small print somewhere allowing that? I think they should get in touch with Cardiff to check but IMO they’re unlikely to accept a 17 year old - neither is any other universities.
Reply 30
I agree with you. However, OP said they had skipped a year maybe there is some small print somewhere allowing that? I think they should get in touch with Cardiff to check but IMO they’re unlikely to accept a 17 year old - neither is any other universities.

It is about insurance. They are not likely to pay several thousand more in insurance for 1 applicant, they will tell them to aply for deferred entry. I had a son do the same thing, for the same reasons, a few years ago, and nobody is interested in the reasons you are underage
Original post by GANFYD
Cardiff do indeed add points from achieved A levels to GCSE points, as per their website

Hi, I'm just wondering how it works if you just have predicted A levels then? So applying as a year 13 the only way to get a score is using your GCSE's? Eg. I got 2 9's, 4 8's and 4 7's so would have a score of 26. Would it actually be easier to apply to Cardiff after getting your A level results as you could then get max 27?
Reply 32
Original post by space_daddy
Hi, I'm just wondering how it works if you just have predicted A levels then? So applying as a year 13 the only way to get a score is using your GCSE's? Eg. I got 2 9's, 4 8's and 4 7's so would have a score of 26. Would it actually be easier to apply to Cardiff after getting your A level results as you could then get max 27?

You only get given marks for results that are achieved, so if you are Yr 13, that is GCSEs.
You would have a score of 24 (6x3 + 3x2).
You will get points added for any achieved A levels, so in your case, AAA would give you 27. People will obviously score more with their A level grades added to their GCSE score
Reply 33
Hi, I've short-listed Cardiff as one of my choices but wondered if anyone know what the post-interview selection criteria consists of. I've emailed the admissions team, looked on TSR and the university website, but can't see it. Thanks, any information would be much appreciated.
Reply 34
Original post by ENR123
Hi everyone hope you're well just introducing myself as a current third year medical student going into 4th year after summer! Will be watching this thread more carefully and happy to answer as many questions as possible!

Hi,
My UCAT score is 2670, SJT band 3, GCSE = 88888888777 , A level prediction A*A*A.
Would the above get me an interview at Cardiff ?
Thanks
Reply 35
Original post by MPoppins
Hi,
My UCAT score is 2670, SJT band 3, GCSE = 88888888777 , A level prediction A*A*A.
Would the above get me an interview at Cardiff ?
Thanks

It wouldn't have done for at least the last 3 years, unless you are a contextual applicant
Reply 36
Original post by GANFYD
It wouldn't have done for at least the last 3 years, unless you are a contextual applicant

Thanks for your response. Which Universities should I apply to please ?
Reply 37
Original post by GANFYD

@GANFYD….where did you find the UCAT cut off for Cardiff please? Do you know what it was last year please? I have 2760 band 2, full marks for GCSEs on scoring, tailoring PS to their requirements
Reply 38
Original post by hallam1
@GANFYD….where did you find the UCAT cut off for Cardiff please? Do you know what it was last year please? I have 2760 band 2, full marks for GCSEs on scoring, tailoring PS to their requirements

Cardiff will not disclose if they start their name with a capital letter, so there is no hope of them telling anyone that!
Reply 39
Hi do you guy think I have a chance?
I score 26/27,
Achieved Alevels A*A*A*A
Gcses- 887776665
2590 B1- I think I need to resit as I had tech issues on the day

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending