The Student Room Group

8013's Pursuit to a First at the most stressful uni in HK (Year 1)

As you all know, I have just started at HKUST, and will be studying engineering (intended mechanical major) with extended major in AI.
This uni is famous for its heavy workload. I have a different view to most people being a Christian, so I am hoping to go for the first class honours!
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
2021-22 Fall
Which modules am I taking?
COMP1021 Introduction to Computer Science
LANG1113P Effective Chinese Communication (Putonghua)
MATH1014 Calculus 2
MECH1906 Mechanical engineering for modern life
MECH3110 Materials for energy technologies
Reply 2
03/09/2021
My lecturer for MATH1014 gave me some extra practice, same as my tutor. I had a lecture and then a tutorial today for that module.
I will be finishing all of the questions from my lecturer, then at least 80% of the questions from my tutor. This will be done by the end of tomorrow.
Also, my LANG1113P instructor, a young woman, has given us a reading to complete before the class on Monday.
I have four trips on the MTR between Diamond Hill and Prince Edward over the next two days.
According to MTR Mobile, the ride takes approximately 10 minutes. Then this generates 40 minutes of study time for me, which is enough to finish reading the article! I am doing this in favour of Ephesians 5:16.
If it is not enough, I will take the time when waiting for my table/food in a restaurant to read the article.
Original post by 8013
As you all know, I have just started at HKUST, and will be studying engineering (intended mechanical major) with extended major in AI.
This uni is famous for its heavy workload. I have a different view to most people being a Christian, so I am hoping to go for the first class honours!

Good luck!
Reply 4
Oh, I have finally mastered those Riemann sums and Fundamental theorem of calculus. I think I am making a good start to math1014.
It's really worth the hard work until 11:30pm! It's running late now, good night!
Reply 5
Original post by 8013
2021-22 Fall
Which modules am I taking?
COMP1021 Introduction to Computer Science
LANG1113P Effective Chinese Communication (Putonghua)
MATH1014 Calculus 2
MECH1906 Mechanical engineering for modern life
MECH3110 Materials for energy technologies

Good luck!! Those modules seem really interesting. Do you already know how to speak Chinese?
Reply 6
Original post by o_reo
Good luck!! Those modules seem really interesting. Do you already know how to speak Chinese?

Yes, this module is for first language in Chinese.
The longest ever essay I have written in Chinese was around 850 characters but I have to write 1300 now! It may take me a lot of time...
Reply 7
04/09/2021- Morning
I have finished my reading for Lang1113p, which took me 50 minutes to complete, given that I haven't taken HKDSE Chinese which is tougher than the IGCSE/GCE Chinese I have taken. Some of the passages took me a while to understand. I will be doing more than needed as I will be doing some more class preparation that the instructor didn't ask!
I am out for church in the afternoon, so in the evening I will have a look at Area under a graph, the next chapter covered in Math1014.
Reply 8
@Lemur14 please add this to GYG 2021-22 thanks!
Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 10
Unfortunately, as it is running late, I will not be doing 1014 stuff today. I hope I can manage my time better!
I will be doing the 1014 stuff, alongside reading half of the second set of notes of 1906 tomorrow.
Reply 11
05/09/2021
I did work for three modules today, my most productive day thus far!
MATH1014: Read through Areas and Volumes in Applications of Integration, and did all the questions marked with red numbers in the textbook exercises 5.2 and 5.3. I feel the struggle on the slicing method for volume integration, so this is the part I should focus on during the lecture and tutorial.
LANG1113P: Prepared my notes for the group discussion.
MECH1906: Read through 16 out of 32 pages of the second set of notes.
Original post by 8013
05/09/2021
MATH1014: Read through Areas and Volumes in Applications of Integration, and did all the questions marked with red numbers in the textbook exercises 5.2 and 5.3. I feel the struggle on the slicing method for volume integration, so this is the part I should focus on during the lecture and tutorial.

Well done on completing so much work. Remember to take breaks as well. :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by 8013
05/09/2021

I hope when I start uni my work ethic is this good lol. Do you use an iPad to work through questions/ write notes or do you do everything on paper?
Reply 14
06/09/2021 part 1
The bus ride to the uni from my home is 30 minutes long. It is just enough for me to read the COMP1021 notes for today's lecture and complete the interactive examples in advance. I got all of them right, so I should understand the content today!
Reply 15
Original post by o_reo
I hope when I start uni my work ethic is this good lol. Do you use an iPad to work through questions/ write notes or do you do everything on paper?

I mix with iPad and on paper, with the latter mainly for calculations.
Reply 16
Original post by 5hyl33n
Well done on completing so much work. Remember to take breaks as well. :smile:

This is only the start. My workload will only go up each night, given that this uni is the most stressful in HK.
Reply 17
06/09/2021 part 2
I did work on three modules again, after my classes ended for today.
MECH3110: I did the first quiz on the bus home. It is just some general knowledge. I am also making a trick to help me memorize the principles of Phase in Material Science, the topic covered today.
MATH1014: I did a total of 12 problems today, eight from the assignment and four of my choice from the textbook.
MECH1906: Finished reading the second set of notes.
I will do some COMP1021 work tomorrow morning.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 18
Before I go to bed for the night, this is my revision trick for 3110 today!
I still keep writing songs haha, like this parody of an entry in Eurovision 2021.

This phase a uniform, physically distinct
Like solids we assemble those atoms
Close enough to contact, but not too close to repel
Equilibrium balance, low energy's radii

They are all closely packed up
Contact most atoms in a volume
Their ratios of their elements get different composition

We can see a million phases
In composition and state
They have their unique crystal structure
Shown by a unit cell

A million phases phases (x4)

They have different structure, repeat with unit cells
Like FCC cubic with 4/8 at corners
Has lattice structure, crystal periodicity
Adds atomic basis, metal or pair at corners

They all have different properties
They all have a different function
But properties can be predicted in rows and groups

In composition and state
Shown by a unit cell

Can you see them? (A million phases phases) (x4)

In composition and state
Shown by a unit cell

Can you see them (A million phases phases) (x4)
Reply 19
07/09/2021
I did work for two modules today, which is still quite good!
MATH1014: Did 12 problems from my additional exercise and assignment.
COMP1021: Went through the second set of notes on my own. I got the Interactive examples correct once again. I attempted to draw a Shinkansen train with Python, and I am almost there! I think I can finally succeed after the lecture!
I will do MECH1906 stuff tomorrow, as it is already 10pm!
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending